• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Developers, developers, developers, developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I would if I had the money right now haha. I want to upgrade my desktop one day but I have no need right now. It does everything I need it to do.

Hehe. What matters is that you're satisfied with your system. A good system can last for years...

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Hehe. What matters is that you're satisfied with your system. A good system can last for years...

I built it seven years ago. Only changed out the mobo and gfx card since then. It only has 2gb of ram but running Ubuntu that's all it needs. It really is an amazing machine and I'm very proud of it. I replace my laptop every few years though.

Years
  • I'm still debating if I should replace my laptop or not.. my current laptop is like 4 years old now and I rarely use it these days because my Nexus 7 is plenty for me to use if i want to browse the internet on the go, such as in my living room while watching TV.

Years
  • You'll probably find the laptop handy for school, so I'd look into replacing it at some point soon.

In other news, I think I might be forgetting to close tabs from previous sessions:
    whoopstoomanytabs_zpsbcd7987c.png

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    You'll probably find the laptop handy for school, so I'd look into replacing it at some point soon.

In other news, I think I might be forgetting to close tabs from previous sessions:
    whoopstoomanytabs_zpsbcd7987c.png

My goodness. I can't handle more than three tabs or so haha. I really hate when they go all the way across the screen. That's insane!

Years
  • I use it to keep track of things I'd like to go back to... just like how I used to use the bookmarks toolbar for that.

But that's like two month's worth of saved tabs right there. I went through and processed about 70 of those in 10 minutes as things I've realized I don't have the money to buy right now. at least one was for an $80 figurine I've been coveting for months

I usually have about 15-20 active, the rest are in the page file waiting to be reactivated.

... I really need to clean my temp files and do something about my 8GB page file.

Years
  • I haven't wiped my browser cookies in nearly 6 or 7 months now.. and I wonder how much hard drive space I would clear just from that if I did wipe my cookies.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • The most I've used is 10 in each session! What the heck do you do in those 100+ tabs i don't even..........

Years
  • Most of the time if I begin to open up too many tabs I'll just open a new window. I can't even begin to count how many times per day I open and close windows in Chrome.. it's a lot, though.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    ... I really need to clean my temp files and do something about my 8GB page file.

Feel free to clean up your temporary files, but do not remove the page file. You will regret it when memory pressure unexpectedly shows up. (Even an "online" CHKDSK will gobble up a lot of virtual memory.)

Also, you might want to be able to use dumps and logs if your PC crashes unexpectedly with a blue screen.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
    Years
  • A large portion of my 750GB of storage is filled with games and music. I just uninstalled a bunch of games I never play so that freed up about 200GB of space, so I'm good for a while , and hopefully I'll have a 1 or 2TB drive before I run out of space again.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Most of my hard drive space is taken up by old games that I haven't played or simply can't play because my system is too new for them. One day I'll actually remember to uninstall them. I really do need to just clean up everything on my computer and transfer it over to my external hard drive. Too lazy to do that.

Don't know why I'm worried about losing space quickly. I have 843GB free still.

149 tabs! I thought I was bad with keeping a lot of tabs open! Right now, I have fourteen tabs that are always open. They're on pages that I either don't want to bookmark, images I don't want to save, or on things that I'm just going to read/watch through and be done with.

Years
  • Feel free to clean up your temporary files, but do not remove the page file. You will regret it when memory pressure unexpectedly shows up. (Even an "online" CHKDSK will gobble up a lot of virtual memory.)

Also, you might want to be able to use dumps and logs if your PC crashes unexpectedly with a blue screen.

whoops I had a brain fart there. I forgot what a page file does for a bit.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • 500 GB HDD here on my computer, and I haven't surpassed 200. I'm using 130 GB of that 500.

I should start making use of that space.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I wish they made computers with 100 GB internal SSDs, 'cause everything I ever use is always on my external drive.

They do.

It's called high-end laptops and desktops. :)

You're probably missing a zero.

I don't even believe in discrete SSDs, to be honest. I prefer the user-level simplicity of Seagate's SSHDs and Adaptive Memory, since as far as the user, operating system, and software are concerned, it's a single disk drive. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Yeah, but can Windows boot from an SSHD as fast as from an SSD? I mean, the only reason I can see someone adding an SSD to their PC is to have the SSD as their OS drive, and then use the HDD as a master drive.

Legendary Silke

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    Yeah, but can Windows boot from an SSHD as fast as from an SSD? I mean, the only reason I can see someone adding an SSD to their PC is to have the SSD as their OS drive, and then use the HDD as a master drive.

Potentially as fast as entry-level 32 GB SSDs, or maybe even outspeeding them.

Remember that boot data is always pinned - the system can read from the cache while it waits for the HDD to spin up. It feels weird knowing that a 5400 RPM notebook disk is getting to the desktop within 20 seconds even with over 128 processes at desktop ready. I type my passwords too slow!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back