• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Did/Do you enjoy the Pokemon GBA games or the Pokemon DS games better?

Pokemon for GBA or for DS?

• Wuts GBA and DS?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Years
    I miss Emerald's Secret Bases and diving but I love the dual screen options on DS games, and the graphics. The underground is pretty awesome..plus WiFi tradeing...

I say DS

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    DS games suck a lot.
    But nothing can be better than the GBC ones.

Pokémon Ranger ✩ Moriarty

I lit a wee fire...on a boat!
    Years
    I like the GBA games better, mainly because they're a lot faster than the 4th generation games.
    DS games at double speed have about the same speed as GBA games at normal speed - at least that what it feels like to me.

Yes, this. Playing my Pearl run-through is really hard because it takes about half a million years per battle -.- Platinum was better, but not by much. I'm hoping with all of the extra junk they've piled into HGSS they haven't slowed it back down to D/P level. D:

But aside from that, Hoenn is my second-favourite region (after Johto) and words cannot describe how much I adore Pokémon Emerald (Battle Frontier <3) so GBA wins for me. I also think Sinnoh has a lot of unnecessary legendaries and side-quests that take forever to capture/complete and don't really add much to the story :/

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I agree that the DS games seem slower. Maybe I'm just a nostalgia fangirl. Who knows?

I haven't played through HG/SS yet, so I can't make a full comment on the DS games yet. I'm about halfway through Pearl, and I don't really love it or hate it. Nothing has really stuck out yet. On the other hand, I'm one of the few who actually really liked Sapphire (I was about 8 when I first started it, and it was the first Pokemon game I finished, so I have fond memories of it. Perhaps that's why). However, I really didn't like Pokemon FireRed.

Hm... right now, I'd have to say that I prefer the GBA games. If HG/SS exceeds my expectations, it'll probably be even.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    It sucks, just sayin'....
    Mind expressing why it sucks then? Especially seeing it's not out in english yet so unless you know Japanese it'd be far less enjoyable for you... =/ And anyways, what sucks in your mind may for others be enjoyable. I certainly feel HG/SS outshines Platinum, for instance.

As for which is better - 3rd or 4th gen...I'm not quite sure at this point, but I may lean towards 4th gen due to HG/SS. With Hoenn... well, I liked RSE and all, but I feel there was too much water routes about, disliked the lack of time features that were about in GSC, and the storyline wasn't that convincing for me either. (Neither was D/P/Pt's all that much either, though). But I had more fun with Platinum, personally, and D/P had more replay value over R/S.

FR/LG I also liked, but compared to HG/SS, they just didn't have as much effort put into by the makers, IMO - HG/SS just went that step further.

As for spinoffs - 3rd gen did have Colosseum and XD which I liked - they weren't without their flaws, but I prefer those out of all of the 3rd or 4th gen spinoff games.

The Red Chain

The third gen.. I just felt it was really incomplete and thrown together.
    Especially the music in the Hoenn region.. my ears bleed every time I hear any of it. x.x;
    As was expected FireRed and LeafGreen don't match up to the original games.. so I didn't enjoy them as much as I thought I would.

Converge

Take One Last Breath
    Years
    GBA, D/P/Pt werent very good in my opinion, but not bad enough for me not to enjoy them

donkey96

ROM Mapper
    Years
    Wow, I had no idea that the majority of you guys enjoyed GBA games better than the DS ones. I thought I was a loner in my thoughts. :P

SPEEDIE

*Insert Random Joke Here*
    Years
    at the moment there both equal
    the first pokemon games i got were both Fire Red and Emerald for my bday Emerald was fun but due to the fact that FR E4 was hard i didn't enjoy that
    i got a ds and pearl a few years later and i really enjoyed it i lost it :( and got platinum a few days after its australian release it was fun until i beat the E4 but i did that in about 2 days
    as crystal is currently my fav Pokemon game it'll come down to HG/SS are good in my opinion for me to say which is better

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
    Down with gen bashing!

DS all the way. I really don't understand why so many of you people seem to hate diamond and pearl so much, it really felt like a huge step forward to me with all the extra content, I mean we had: the return of day and night, physical special split making it so hitmonchan knowing the elemental punches is actually useful , gts and migrating making pokedex completion almost possible (though when heart gold soul silver come out it'll be way too easy), I really want to know why you all hate it so much aside from slow game play and some of the worst pokemon designs yet (which really shouldn't be a factor in how good the games are anyway).

While I liked ruby and saphire, after playing gold and crystal it really felt more like a step backwards to me what with the animated sprites, day and night, and two regions being gone. I also just hated how they got us all hyped up for the new double battles when there were so little of them in the game, though I feel emerald fixed a lot of those short comings I still prefer diamond. Fire red and leaf green were pretty good but Heart gold and Soul silver are gonna be the best games EVER period.

Years
    GBA games a step backward? I don't think so. Sure, D/P/Pt added a lot of features like Wi-fi trading and battling, but R/S/E had a lot of great things as well, like secret bases, etc. And imo, it had the best Pokemon, including the legendarys.

And the lack of night and day was annoying for some things such as evolving Eevee into umbreon and such, but the prime time I play games are at night, and I don't really like the Pokemon games at night, so it doesn't bother me.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
    GBA games a step backward? I don't think so. Sure, D/P/Pt added a lot of features like Wi-fi trading and battling, but R/S/E had a lot of great things as well, like secret bases, etc. And imo, it had the best Pokemon, including the legendarys.

And the lack of night and day was annoying for some things such as evolving Eevee into umbreon and such, but the prime time I play games are at night, and I don't really like the Pokemon games at night, so it doesn't bother me.
    Not really all of the gba games just ruby and saphire. And as I said before I still liked them it's just after playing crystal you expect so much more.

Kuribute123

HOLY CRAP GAISE
    Years
    Hm... Let me enumerate the reasons why I like each generation. Maybe I can find my answer after that.

Why I love the GBA versions:
    1) Salon Maiden Anabel
    2) Better Secret Base System
    3) Salon Maiden Anabel
    4) Tougher Battle Frontier
    5) Salon Maiden Anabel
    6) Latios
    7) Salon Maiden Anabel
    8) You can get both Mirror Coat AND Counter on a Blastoise.
    9) How half of Hoenn was water. (Hated the Tentacool, but still loved the water.)
    10) Salon Maiden Anabel
    11) I first learned how to EV-train and breed Pokemon during this gen.

Why I love the DS versions:
    1) Way better graphics
    2) Epic Platinum
    3) Epicer HG/SS
    4) The Physical/Special Split. The moves make more sense now.
    5) Wi-Fi Capabilities

I've given 7 reasons why I love the GBA games (11 if you count how much I LOVE Salon Maiden Anabel) while I gave 5 reasons why I love the DS games. Ironically, I play Platinum more than Emerald nowadays. (Maybe because I've played with Emerald for 999:59+ game hours.)
    I love you.
    Salon Maiden Anabel will forever be the best trainer in my propinquity. I swear.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Platinum kills everything. I have SoulSilver, and I love that your Pokemon follow you around, but I'm not happy about:

- The level problem
    - Having to find the gym leaders to rematch them
    - Having to schedule the rematch
    - Red's new team

The wait wasn't completely worth it in my opinion. I've beaten it one time and haven't really been bothered to try again any time soon. Platinum has all my good competitive Pokemon that I'll never be able to use on anyone other than kids on the bus, but it's still all in good fun. I actually enjoy raising my Pokemon on that game.

Going back to GBA, I hated FRLG, but loved RSE. I'm going to go ahead and vote DS though. I love the special/physical split to death. And Poketch > Pokenav.

Now, if this were GB vs. GBC vs. GBA vs. DS, whole different story.

Pink Cashmere

Cherry Cherry Boom Boom
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2010
    They both had their own charm, and I like them both for different reasons. (I haven't played the DS remakes of Gold and Silver, mind you.)

DS versions had the highly anticipated day/night system that seemed to add a lot of life into the game. Haha, I don't know. I just liked it when it was night and I was playing it, and game followed along.

It also seemed to feature a lot more interactions with your Pokemon. (Amity Square, dress-up, etc...)

As for the GBA games, they just seemed to have a lot more going on with the characters. I'm not really sure how to explain it, but it just seemed to have more subplots to go along with and reasons to revisit towns. I just couldn't find that in DS.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
    Years
    Although I prefer the plots of the GBA games more than Diamond, Pearl and Platinum, I generally prefer playing the DS games more just because I like being up-to-date and I like the Physical/Special division of moves.

Back