• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Did you buy a Switch just for Sword and Shield?

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
  • Generally speaking I bought it for the purpose of playing Pokemon but I bought mine a week after release's date.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2020
    i'm sure it would be a fun adventure when i can play it as i find the let'so go eevee a fun pokemon game and i am i too excited to wait for the 15th and i do wonder if there would be other methods than battle fellow trainers for money in the games like delivery or other small jobs everyone can take

Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2021
    Yup, I bought my switch just for Pokémon Sword and Shield.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I always buy a new console/handheld in preparation for a new Pokemon game. So, yeah, I will be buying a Switch Lite for Sword/Shield. But not just those. I'll most likely be buying it for Tales ports too.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Nope. Pokémon is one of several franchises that I tend to figure I'll eventually need a new system for, but in this case, Super Mario Odyssey sold me on the Switch. I bought my Switch in late August 2017 and got BOTW and MK8D with it (but I had a Wii U, so they didn't make the Switch a must buy). Then I got SMO, and now I have over two dozen games for the system.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I already got the Switch, but because a certain Kirby game showcased on E3 (later known as Kirby Star Allies) won me over. Even though initially I didn't buy it for Pokémon gaming, I do get to play some titles like Pokkén Tournament DX, Pokémon Quest and Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee! afterwards.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I posted early and wanted to add something to this. Pokemon isn't the only franchise I play, so when something else comes out I like, I will play and as with the Switch, I have tried a lot of franchises I never dreamed of playing, but I tried them and I love them.

However, I don't buy a new console until pokemon is confirmed. I kinda skipped all of Wii and Wii U. We had a Wii for a while, but I gave it too my sister when she moved out. But because Pokemon wasn't there, I never thought about buying it again. There wasn't many pokemon games on console since the 4th Gen. So there was never a real reason to push to buy it again.

Last edited:

Giliforge

haha funnny!!!1!
    Years
  • I got my Switch last year, and I wouldn't buy it just for SwSh. I might get it, but it's not good enough to buy a Switch over.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Technically yes

As soon as they confirmed there would be a main series game on Switch I bought it. Which was back in like 2017. I've bought a bunch of games since then, including LGPE obviously, but SwSh was the main reason I bought a Switch.

Yes, in theory I should've waited. No, I have no regrets.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    No. Back when the games were on handheld consoles, I absolutely always waited until a Pokemon game came out before buying that console. In fact, I only have three games on the 3DS that aren't Pokemon. AC: New Leaf, Sticker Star, 3D World.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I initially bought my Switch for Smash and then I planned to obtain Gen 8. However, SwSh do not look that great to me the more I look at it (besides the music and the new Pokemon) so it's going to be a pass (either that or I'll buy it used). I do have other games for the Switch so a lack of Pokemon isn't a huge loss.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2020
    The only reason I even have a Switch to begin with is because a friend was selling it super cheap with Breath of the Wild and LGE last year. I'm glad I did buy it tho...I'm loving the game so far.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Nope. My original plan was to buy one for Fire Emblem Three Houses, but some time after, I heard the news that Atelier Lulua would be on the Switch as well. So I ended up buying a Switch in May in advance of Lulua. Second game for the system was Three Houses, and Shield was the third.

MargatroidCA

Puppeteer of the Hail
    Years
  • Not Sword & Shield specifically, I got mine before they were even announced, but I did get it primarily for whenever the next mainline Pokemon games released on the console.

That was the original intention anyways. Now? If I didn't already have my Switch, I certainly wouldn't buy one just for Sword & Shield.

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2021
    I bought the Let's Go Eevee switch, but it was primarily for the console and to play Pokemon SwSh, the Let's Go game was a bonus.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • I was going to get one for Let's go, but missed my chance (the price bumped up last year) and then bought a Switch lite the week it was out, just for Sword and Shield.

Back