• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did you like these games?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Pokémon X and Y has been out for a very long time, and by now, all of us should have finished it already. Well, maybe not all--most. For some, we might've done it two or three times. For others, maybe it's even four. Perhaps five? These games had introduced many new features to us players, with two of the most notable ones being mega-evolution and character customization. Plus, they also had storyline focusing around Xerneas, Yveltal, and Team Flare.

Anyway, what do you all think about X and Y overall? Did you like playing through them, or did you dislike it? If it's the latter, how come? What are some things that you were hoping to see that didn't quite make it? Were you disappointed by them? Last--if you've played these games only once, would you consider giving them another go? Why or why not?

Last edited:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    very long time

Less than a year is a "very long time"?

Sorry, just being pedantic. :P

I liked the Kalos region but felt the Exp. Share made the game way too easy. IMO, not as good as BW (but it will be hard to top those games).

I'd consider another playthrough but I'd have to better plan my team this time. With so many options, it's hard to choose.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I liked X and Y a lot, despite its lacking post game and story and lack of move tutors. And no PokeStar Studios I'm probably just gonna have to give up on Pokemon getting a good story.... It's not the Pokemon game of my dreams, but its still good. Love the 3D models (for the most part) and character customization. Especially that.

I've only played through it once (and have about 380 hours on my Y) because the most recent Pokemon game I own kinda acts as my master save file for the series, where all my good stuff is collected. With the Bank I guess there's not much reason for that, but I'm not terribly inclined to start over yet on my Y. Maybe when ORAS or the next Kalos game comes out....

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2018
    I liked X and Y only because of the new mega evoulutions and graphics. Although some of the pokemon looked worse than I imagined they would and some of them should be changed in the next game. Outside of that minor detail the graphics were phenomenal!! I hated the lack of a postgame but I also didn't like how easy the game was. I didn't think it was because of the EXP share but the AI was so easy. The elite four didn't get any stronger, and they were bad trainers in general. I beat the game in a record time compared to all of the rest of the pokemon games I hope ORAS have the same hardness as they did or even harder than before. Overall it was a pretty good game.

I have also played through the game 7 times and logged 999 hrs but while I did a lot it forgot very boring and there were only 69 new pokemon and not many of them could effectively be used competitively.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2015
    Being the first 3DS pokemon game there wasnt much to do with the 3D and the storyline is way too short and quick and the main legendary pokemon wasnt really mention alot like in the older generations but i will agree that character customization and the mega evolutions was a nice touch plus they also brought in reverse battles (basically meaning fire is strong against water) but I wouldn't say this is the best pokemon game they have done, it was more of a step backwards

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    I actually did like these games a lot, yes.

While it was all fairly simple, linear, and not too long, I loved them for what they were. I played them for a very long time after completion, and I haven't done that since DPPt. They offered up quite a few things to do post storyline (specifically, if you like shiny Pokemon) and I always eat those up for all they've got. The storyline itself was done very interestingly and I really enjoyed it. I hope to see them expand further on it with the next expansion, as it was pretty awesome and deserves a little more content.

I didn't mind the lack of use for the 3d feature, myself. The models, backgrounds, and everything else were perfectly 3d enough without needing to use the feature.

Also, Pokemon Amie. That's probably one of my favorite things of all. I can't tell you how many hours I spent messing around in that feature, aha. Super Training was equally as fun to me too, and I hope it stays around for a while.

Definitely my favorite Pokemon games right now.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    Like them? - more like Love them
    Spoiler:

Especially with Amie Super Training - those mini-games where extra fun, and with the inverse battle, and a few Mega Evolution (mainly Lucario & Houndoom). Kalos is so easy to navigate. I also enjoyed the surprises I got while Wonder Trading

Even if 6th gen introduced very few Pokemon, there where plenty in Kalos too choose from and make different teams.

Non important part that I also liked - being able to choose 1 of 7 different languages to choose from.

Years
    Of course I liked them. I've played through them plenty of times. My favorite thing about the adventure here, by far, is the gigantic variety, so you can pretty much make your dream team. Got to use some of my favorite Pokémon throughout.

But at the same time, I just feel like something was missing from them. To say the least, they left me wanting more, and they didn't quite take the #1 spot of mine from Black 2 and White 2.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
    I enjoyed the game alot Interesting story only thing was that there was nothing to do post game other than the looker missions which needed a few more missions

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2014
    The X and Y games are amongst my favorite in the series (behind R/S/E).
    The Kalos region was interesting enough to explore, and the story, while short, wasn't too bad. I even bought both X and Y since I enjoyed them enough.
    I do wish there was better post game though, but other than that I enjoyed the game.

Years
    I really loved the X/Y experience, for me personally I wasn't as fond of Unova as I was of the other games, so I kind of doubly enjoyed X and Y as it made up for that. The character customisation I don't think can be underestimated as a feature of these games, owing to how personal of a feel it gave to them and in terms of the actual region and especially all the new Pokémon I couldn't be happier so yup, thumbs up from me! :)

Years
    I really enjoyed this game, the amazing 3D effects, customization and introducing so many fave new Pokemon really made me love X and Y. While Unova will forever be my fave region, Kalos is still really great on its own because it has stuff that stands out.

The really good variety in the Kalos Dex also allowed you to make a team of pretty much anything you liked that was included, and that was quite easy for me since there was so many Pokemon I wanted to use. The only real downside is the post-game, but the Battle Chateau at least was great for training plus I enjoyed Pokemon Amie and the Mega Evolutions.

Years
    I really enjoyed playing Y. When I first got the game, I was so full of hype that I got all the way to the fourth gym though basically an entire day of gameplay. After that, I kind of came back to earth and finished the game in the next few days. Still, the 3D graphic overhaul and new Pokemon, even though there weren't many, made Kalos loads of fun. I started out strongly against Mega evolutions, but ended up using one, Scizor, in my team. I'd say it''s in my top 3 of the series, for sure. :]

Lihtal

Castle Guard
    Years
    Did i like them? Of course! anyhow i have two complains... the lack of a different background in wi-fi battles... i mean come on...so much potential there... but well that is my take on it and the other thing i didn't like was the lack of vivid colors on pokemon...i mean i remember a very intense orange on my charmander...not the pale-almost-sick charmander we got this generation...

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I liked them better than the last generation games (V). However I felt they lacked the kind of story Gen V, Gen IV, and Gen III had. It was worse than B2W2's story (I preferred BW's) as it was it seemed to be broken. It may have something do with Team Flare not having appeared enough (in comparison to the region's size) compared to past evil teams, so it felt like they had only a minimal influence. Also unlike Gen III-V there was no explanation as to how Lysander got the mascot...also there wasn't much of unifying myth (if there was even any in game) for the two Mascots (past games mentioned the opposite mascot).

However I did enjoy all the new features, especially Mega Evolutions (could've been executed better, especially in the whole bond area). I also enjoyed the beauty of Kalos, as well as it's references to real life France. I enjoyed riding Pokemon (wish there was more!). I also enjoyed that we can change the music in the wi-fi battles.

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2014
    I've played a version in each generation. While the game was short I haven't had this much fun playing since Red or FireRed.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
    Whoo I absolutely LOVE Pokemon X and Pokemon Y! :D I pre-ordered my Pokemon X game as soon as this was possible in my country, and I could pick it up a day before the release. Since then, the cartridge never left my 3DS. With 600 hours in my Pokemon X game, 7 months of non-stop playing (as far as this was possible) I completed the main story and post-game stuff. Now, I am using my Pokemon X game for training, better teams and Breeding purposes :) I also have a lot of shiny luck and I love breeding in there, because I worked very hard to get the Shiny Charm and it really works.

I love the story and for months and months on end, starting from January or so last year, I couldn't wait till these games were released. I checked the inetner every single day for updates, screens, and Pokemon which would make it into my ultimate team. I love the graphics, features, the fact you can get any Pokemon in existence and the many WiFi, Trading and Battle stuff in here too! :D

I have bought Pokemon Y too about just a month ago and I am currently playing this one :) I like to have both versions of any Pokemon game anyway, so it's even more fun! :3 Still plenty of stuff to do! x3

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2014
    I love Pokemon X and Y so much~ I feel as if they're the best games out of the entire series. Even though it was really easy and my obsession with it has gone away, the graphics and everything about the game was lovely! I also love the simplicity of EV training pokemon now.

I loved them! Though I was honestly disappointed by the huge gap between the first and second gym since it gave me the impression that all the gym gaps would end up like that and I'd be taking a long time to get through it all. Buuut in the end it was just gym 1 -> 2 that took as long as it did while the others were one right after the other.

Almost 300 hours clocked in X and will have quite a bit more once I'm ready to get back into breeding. If I had Y version I'd love to replay the story but alas, only one game and definitely not erasing my save file, even if I can move all my Pokemon over via Bank. :<

Back