• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Digital Download or Boxed?

How will you be getting Pokémon X or Y?

• Total voters

Autaven

Gamer Girl
    Years
    Always boxed, I hate downloading games! I'm always slightly skeptical not to mention I love holding and opening a new game :)

Kotowari

Will be back eventually
    Years
    Boxed version, without a doubt. Like many people mentioned before, there's just something about opening a box and everything that comes with it.
    It's just like with books, no matter how many things you can read on the internet/ereader, there's still something about owning a physical copy of the book, smelling the paper and manually flipping the pages.

Of course there's always the possibility that something might happen to the console/memory card... but that's not the main reason for me. And the Pokémon boxes are generally quite nice to look at, even if they're "just" pictures of the main Pokémon with some shiny foil cover over the background colours.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
    Years
    i'm kind of scared to lose all my pokemon if my 3DS breaks but if i don't get to buy a physical copy on release date, i'll go for the download

Ben.

Orange I s l a n d s~
    Years
    I'd like to see something where you can buy the game but still have to download, I really like that concept as you have the physical side to the game but you don't have the worry of losing or breaking the game. This has worked great everywhere else and soon everything but downloads are going to be phased out and, I'm all for it.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    I always prefer digital because I lose my games too easily and it's much easier to see your collection and switch games when they're downloaded on your console. However, I think I'll go with the boxed version because I HATE the Nintendo eShop. It never works for me so I don't trust it. I have a few games that I purchased that I simply can not download :(

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Definitely, boxed. Nothing beats opening your box at home after picking it up from the store to holding that brand new cartridge in your hand and popping it into your system or handheld for the first time. So Digital Downloads can suck it, because I'll always choose purchasing a hard copy than digitally downloading it anytime.

Melinda

[b][i][color=#fff]#teamsonia[/color][/i][/b]
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2022
    I'm getting the boxed versions. I can't risk something happening to my 3DS and having to DL the games all over again. Not made of money here.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm getting the boxes, and not downloading. :x I don't really trust the "download" and I'd rather just buy it tbh. Especially if you break your 3DS or something ;(

This.
    As much as I'd want to download them to have to play asap, I'd worry too much over if anything at all happened to my 3DS!
    Also, it's a bit soon to say it, but if there are pre-order bonuses, they will most likely be for boxed only, so...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I always go boxed versions if the option is there. It's safer for me, because there's more of a chance of my 3DS getting broken than the game. There's also the fact that the physical copy is way more fun to buy for me. I make a day of it, heading out to get it. The anticipation builds, and it's always great (and nostalgic!) to open up a box and see all the goodies inside.

Years
    The same way as I've felt with games on other consoles, I'd much rather have a physical copy than a digital download (unless there's a significant price difference). If something were to happen to my system, sure I might be able to redownload the game for free, so I'd lose all progress that I made in the game, but I'd much rather have the physical copy.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    I have to get it boxed. I have a Canadian 3DS and if I try to add points or credit or whatever from Europe it doesn't work because the console is region-locked unfortunately..

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    I'm going with the boxed copy. I want to have the box along with the rest of my Pokemon collection. If anything happens to my (future) Nintendo 3DS I don't want to loose lots of data.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
    I'll be the dissonant voice here and say digital. Boxes are cool for (and only for) collecting purposes, but all the old boxes from my N64 and GB games (including Pokémon) are still here at home and, quite frankly, they just use space. I only preserve them because I want to sell them one day, and a boxed cartridge is worth more to collectors.

I have the feeling that nowadays it isn't enough for a boxed edition to just contain the game and a manual. You need to make your box "special", in a way. Game companies haven't yet realized it, unlike the movie industry for example, wherein boxed releases have the kind of bells and whistles you'd never find in a boxed game release. But usually Pokémon physical games have always had a nice touch to them (colored cartridges, for example).

Still, I prefer digital. Reliable game shops are abundant in North America, but not that numerous in places like where I live (Brazil). My only concern would be with the 3DS available space for games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I'm going for boxed simply because if I happen to get a new 3DS I don't want my game to be lost and have to buy a new one. It's inevitable that there'll be a new form of DS released in the future and we'll all need to buy one to play the latest games, or that eventually my 3DS is going to break, so I'd much rather keep a physical copy of the game to be able to play it in any of these circumstances. I do love the idea of it being released as a digital download though, I think it's a great step forward. All they need to do next is make it more like Steam where the games are tied to an account that you can access on more than one DS rather than having the game tied to the one it's bought on.

Years
    I plan to get the box games. My wifi is kinda bad here at home. lol And well... I have bad luck with systems...

I have 2 DS, 1 DS Lite, 1 DSiXL, and 1 3DS. The DSiXL and 3DS are fairly new (about a year or so old). But the other three... Well my first DS just stopped working all together, I don't know what the heck happened. The second one does technically work but the hinge is broken and it's really annoying... The DS Lite has the same issue and now the screen is all wonky too... lol I am just too afraid to download a whole game to a system that might not even last me all that long. I usually try to be careful but sometimes things happen even if you are careful.

Besides, it just wouldn't be the same without the box... lol

And I suppose if I REALLY wanted to, sometime down the line, I could always get a digital copy in addition to my physical copies. And if I ever get the money for, say, a 3DSXL, I could totally trade with myself and stuff that way too. lol

The digital games... Do they have all the same functionality...? As the box games. I mean, you know, I should HOPE so... XD But you never even know. lol

PhoenixWright77

Pokémaster Attorney
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2015
    I'm not really sure. Having a boxed copy would be awesome and all. But I don't really have the patience to wait on a line. Then again, If I download I would probably have to wait at least 30 minutes for it to download. Maybe I can wake up really early so I can download the game before GameStop opens! Not to mention I wouldn't be able to lose it because it would be forever be embedded in my 3DS!

Back