• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Disney taking over Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2016
    From what I understand, Disney XD will be airing Pokémon Sun and Moon. I am worried about the changes that will be made. Disney tends to ruin everything it touches. I'm a little more at ease considering the fact that it is Disney XD and not regular Disney Channel. I hope Disney didn't buy Pokémon though. If Pokémon were bought by Disney, that would mean the end of Pokémon as we know it. Another thing I'm freaking out about it the new animation style. It looks as though SM is going to look completely different from any series of Pokémon seen so far. The animation style looks lazy and undeveloped. The picture i've included is from Pokémon Sun and Moon, which has already aired in Japan.

I was just voicing my opinion. I apologize for the way it came across, I honestly don't like how I sound in this. I misunderstood some things about Pokémon Sun and Moon, for that I'm sorry.

Disney taking over Pokémon?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Disney is just going to be the new distributor for the show, it did not buy the franchise. They're not producing it. All it's doing is airing the Sun and Moon and any future seasons as long as they keep the rights and the old episodes and movies.

I found this article- https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2016/11/18/breaking-pokemon-the-series-sun-moon-to-debut-on-disney-xd/ which states there will be a marathon of the previous seasons and movies. Does anyone have more info on this? Will it be a Every Simpsons Ever esque marathon where they'll all be airing from start to finish, or more of a best of deal?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    From what I understand, Disney XD will be airing Pokémon Sun and Moon. I am worried about the changes that will be made. Disney tends to ruin everything it touches. I'm a little more at ease considering the fact that it is Disney XD and not regular Disney Channel. I hope Disney didn't buy Pokémon though. If Pokémon were bought by Disney, that would mean the end of Pokémon as we know it. Another thing I'm freaking out about it the new animation style. It looks as though SM is going to look completely different from any series of Pokémon seen so far. The animation style looks lazy and undeveloped. The picture i've included is from Pokémon Sun and Moon, which has already aired in Japan.

View attachment 80798

This is maybe the most misguided post I've ever read.

Disney actually fix a lot of things they touch, both the Marvel cinematic universe and the Star Wars franchise are living proof of this. Even when they do actually buy a franchise they usually just give it extra funding and hire the best people to take it forward.

Disney is just the distributor, like Cartoon Network was. They just buy the rights to air the product, nothing else. The 'lazy' style is down to the Japanese studio, not an American distributor. Why you think the people behind animated masterpieces like Beauty and the Beast and Mulan would take a series and lower it's quality of animation kinda confuses me.

Years
    Like Hands said above, Disney bought the rights to air Pokemon S&M series.
    Also, in my opinion, the animation is actually pretty good! I wouldn't call it lazy or undelevoped. Most people just don't like Ash's new design but I'm more than ok with this!

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Like Hands said above, Disney bought the rights to air Pokemon S&M series.
    Also, in my opinion, the animation is actually pretty good! I wouldn't call it lazy or undelevoped. Most people just don't like Ash's new design but I'm more than ok with this!

I'm iffy on it still, i don't hate it, I just don't like it that much.

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
    Yet another post condemning the Pokemon anime because of the new art style... calling it lazy and underdeveloped...

The difference now is the show had already aired proven how high the animation quality really is (I mean seriously the entirety of the OP and majority of episodes 1-2 where all sakuga worthy) Most Anime would kill to have the animation quality of Pokemon Sun and Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBH3IYRjaw

This is an excellent video from the canipa effect explaining the reasons on why the change is necessary for the future of the Pokemon Anime... and how people assume that the new style is lazy and underdeveloped.

To people Uniformed or have absolutely no knowledge in the animation industry. I implore you to watch the video.

If you still dislike the animation style or satoshi redesign (Heck I openly stated that I disliked the redesign... but the show won me over) after all that then that's fine, you're free to have your own opinion. But please don't spread miss information, calling the show underdeveloped and poorly animated when the show itself is actually more animated than all of series of Pokemon before it.

Last edited:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Yet another post condemning the Pokemon anime because of the new art style... calling it lazy and underdeveloped...

The difference now is the show had already aired proven how high the animation quality really is (I mean seriously the entirety of the OP and majority of episodes 1-2 where all sakuga worthy) Most Anime would kill to have the animation quality of Pokemon Sun and Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrBH3IYRjaw

This is an excellent video from the canipa effect explaining the reasons on why the change is necessary for the future of the Pokemon Anime... and how people assume that the new style is lazy and underdeveloped.

To people Uniformed or have absolutely no knowledge in the animation industry. I implore you to watch the video.

If you still dislike the animation style or satoshi redesign (Heck I openly stated that I disliked the redesign... but the show won me over) after all that then that's fine, you're free to have your own opinion. But please don't spread miss information, calling the show underdeveloped and poorly animated when the show itself is actually more animated than all of series of Pokemon before it.

I wouldn't call it lazy (like DragonBall Super) I'd just say I don't like it stylistically

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2016
    This is maybe the most misguided post I've ever read.

Disney actually fix a lot of things they touch, both the Marvel cinematic universe and the Star Wars franchise are living proof of this. Even when they do actually buy a franchise they usually just give it extra funding and hire the best people to take it forward.

Disney is just the distributor, like Cartoon Network was. They just buy the rights to air the product, nothing else. The 'lazy' style is down to the Japanese studio, not an American distributor. Why you think the people behind animated masterpieces like Beauty and the Beast and Mulan would take a series and lower it's quality of animation kinda confuses me.

I didn't think the new animation style had anything to do with Disney. Also, Disney tends to take classic franchises and put them under their name. Have you seen Star Wars Rebels? What is that? It's showing kids a completely different vision for Star Wars. The animated master pieces you mention are brilliant, but older. Beauty and the Beast came out in 1991. The stuff Disney does now is horrible. I had false information on whether or not Disney bought the American Pokémon franchise. So for that, I apologize. Also, the moment Cartoon Network bought Pokémon, they fired EVERYONE and replaced the voice actors to save money. Veronica Taylor might still be voicing Ash if Cartoon Network hadn't bought Pokémon.

I wouldn't call it lazy (like DragonBall Super) I'd just say I don't like it stylistically

Compared to XYZ, It looks less detailed and less animated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I didn't think the new animation style had anything to do with Disney. Also, Disney tends to take classic franchises and put them under their name. Have you seen Star Wars Rebels? What is that? It's showing kids a completely different vision for Star Wars. The animated master pieces you mention are brilliant, but older. Beauty and the Beast came out in 1991. The stuff Disney does now is horrible. I had false information on whether or not Disney bought the American Pokémon franchise. So for that, I apologize. Also, the moment Cartoon Network bought Pokémon, they fired EVERYONE and replaced the voice actors to save money. Veronica Taylor might still be voicing Ash if Cartoon Network hadn't bought Pokémon.

Star Wars Rebels is actually heavily based on existing lore and unused concept art from The Empire Strikes Back. It was also in work before the acquisition and was always written and intended to be a follow up to the two Clone Wars serialisations. I really don't understand how it's giving a false impression of Star Wars to newer fans when it's just a collective of existing lore that was saved from the retcon of the Extended Universe. Although arguably this isn't the thread to discuss Star Wars I guess.

Whether you think Disney's quality of product has declined or not doesn't detract from the fact that the quality of animation has never dropped.

https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Dub

Cartoon Network didn't fire anyone, Pokemon Company USA took over because 4Kids were incapable of keeping deadlines. Cartoon Network just distributed it.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Did you get all this information from Facebook? :P

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
    Years
    Compared to XYZ, It looks less detailed and less animated.

In terms of overall character designs... yes the Pokemon Sun and Moon character designs are less detailed. It's a measure to make the characters easier to animate, as the new designs doesn't look weird when drawn off model.

However it's not less animated...

Lets compare and break down the first 50 secs of XY's first episode to Sun and Moon.

Serena's introduction - This is the very first scene of the episode, and it's showing off the new Pokegal... The scene where Fletchling gives serena a rude awakening is rather charming, but animation wise it's lacking, the only notable movement we ever get in the scene is, when Serena tries to grab the Fletchling, and fails in a amusing way. we also get a panning shot of some Kalos pokes but none too impressive, it's basically a still image and they just look right and that's it.

Intro to Alola - Right off the bat we start off with Ash and Pikachu riding the pokeride sharpedo... right away we feel kinetic movement as edges of the models move in a erratic way that shows fast movement. That doesn't end there as we dive beneath the waves to see a multitude of pokemon all moving in inserting ways, heck Ash even pokes a Pukumyuki which gives him a peace sign - which gave him a rather animated shock (In that scene you can also see how pikachu reacts, to well drowning. You could see the attention to detail to how he moves how many drawings there is, and how well animated the short reaction was). To end the scene we have Ash and co. being fished out by Lana who gives them a rather playfull chuckle.

Please note that in the entirety of the intro of Sun and Moon something is always moving, there was no static movement where the characters where the characters are limited to lip flaps.

If you don't believe me watch the the first 50 secs of the two shows side by side and compare just how much "animated" the scenes are.

Last edited:
    Years
    As pointed out earlier, Disney XD is only the new distributor for Pokemon in the US. I can safely assure that Disney has not bought the Pokemon franchise, because seriously it would just be absolutely weird if it was.

Back