• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~~Diving Deep~~ (A Water Pokemon Fan Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • *high fives* That Ludicolo is hella wicked! I believe the opposing teams who were trying to rub their legends in my face wasn't expecting a jolly whack from Ludicolo! >:)
    Hehe, Ludicolo is awesome! An opponent can never be sure what to expect: will it be a physical or special attacker? Or will it try to stall the opponent instead? :P

Welcome Hydro. I also like the idea of a Dolphin Water Type. A Dolphin starter could really work, it could start off as pure water and it's Final Form could be Water/Psychic. The Psychic typing referring to how intelligent Dolphins are.

Oh and I agree with the usefulness of Azumarill. The water mouse got a big boost this Gen and really helped me in my Alpha Sapphire playthrough. :)

I have just noticed that Politoed can learn Psychic and as the counterpart to the Water/Fighting Poliwrath, the frog Pokémon maybe should be Water/Psychic.
    Cheers CharmedGardy, nice to meet you too! A Water/Psychic split type for the Dolphin Pokemon certainly suits, due to their empathetic abilities. :)

Yes the new Water/Fairy typing for Azumarill definitely provided a much needed boost to its battling value. Particularly with the amount of Dragon Pokemon available in the Hoenn region a Fairy type makes an excellent counter and just in general provides more balanced gameplay.

And that is a fair call with Politoed's typing, as it would better define a counterpart with Poliwrath! Perhaps because there were plenty of Water/Psychic Pokemon at the time (when there were only 251 Pokemon we had the Staryu and Slowpoke lines already) the developers decided a plain Water Pokemon would be more unique, and therefore appreciated? :) I think also the Psychic type was perceived to be too superior in Generation I, and so in order to draw attention away from that perception it was needed to give attention to other typing combinations.

In a somewhat similar situation Gyarados would have suited a Water/Dragon typing, but at the time of Generation I with the only Dragon move being Dragon Rage, there would not of been any attacks that could hit it super effectively. There was opportunity in future generations to retype Gyarados (likewise to the Magnemite line in Generation II, or the inclusion of Fairy Pokemon in Generation VI), so I wonder why this has never occurred? Any theories? :)

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Hehe, Ludicolo is awesome! An opponent can never be sure what to expect: will it be a physical or special attacker? Or will it try to stall the opponent instead? :P

Haven't used Ludicolo as a Physical attacker and never will! {XD}

Years
  • Haven't used Ludicolo as a Physical attacker and never will! {XD}

Apparently there's not a very huge difference between its Attack and Special Attack, the former being base 70 and the latter is base 90. But it learns more special moves (I think all the damaging Grass moves it learns are special only) so it's best used that way. Special Defense is still its best stat, at base 100.

Hydro Pumper

Water Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Haven't used Ludicolo as a Physical attacker and never will! {XD}
    Haha, truth be told I haven't either. XD I remember back on the Battle Revolution days I battled someone over Wifi who used a Swords Dance set, personally I'd prefer special!

Apparently there's not a very huge difference between its Attack and Special Attack, the former being base 70 and the latter is base 90. But it learns more special moves (I think all the damaging Grass moves it learns are special only) so it's best used that way. Special Defense is still its best stat, at base 100.
    That's true, Hika! A Surf/Energy Ball/Ice Beam set would pack more power than a physical equivalent of Waterfall/Seed Bomb/Ice Punch too. :) Not to mention a turn to set up with Swords Dance could be one turn too long in a fast paced battle!

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Haha, truth be told I haven't either. XD I remember back on the Battle Revolution days I battled someone over Wifi who used a Swords Dance set, personally I'd prefer special!

That's true, Hika! A Surf/Energy Ball/Ice Beam set would pack more power than a physical equivalent of Waterfall/Seed Bomb/Ice Punch too. :) Not to mention a turn to set up with Swords Dance could be one turn too long in a fast paced battle!

Yeah the thing is, while it's still trying to set up. Someone could have murdered it with a Bug-type or Poison-type move, with the latter type being a popular move-type nowadays.

Let me add on, the base power of those moves are not as impressive as their Special counterpart. So there's a huge gap between the 90 and 70. That 20 points of difference can decide a Pokémon's fate.

My Ludicolo has Swift Swim and Life Orb. Just imagine how deadly my sweet Ludicolo is.~ The last thing they'll be seeing is my Ludicolo's dance. >:)

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Here's a new topic for us:
    If you were allowed to distribute a non-legendary shiny Pokemon, what special moves would it have?
    - Keep in mind Water-types only.
    - Be overpower as much as you want, just give a good explanation. :)

Aye, Nichole I miss that Oshawott avie!~ <3

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Your nickname: R.F.
    Your Partner Pokemon: Manaphy
    Reason for joining the club: I'm just a fan of Water types, there's not much more to it :D

If you were allowed to distribute a non-legendary shiny Pokemon, what special moves would it have?
    I'd say Phione, but sadly it's considered a special Pokemon (which is pretty much the equivalent of a legendary, even though Phione is anything but that). Instead, I go with Dewgong:

It's not neccessarily the most beatiful Pokemon (or shiny for that matter), but since it always slipps through my radar, I think that's enough of a reason to pick it. Its moves would be Megahorn/Zen Headbutt/Icicle Crash/Recover.
    The first two moves because it looks a lot like a Pokemon that would use its head to attack, Icicle Crash gives it a good physical Ice type STAB move and Recover allows it to take hits better.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Your nickname: R.F.
    Your Partner Pokemon: Manaphy
    Reason for joining the club: I'm just a fan of Water types, there's not much more to it :D

I'd say Phione, but sadly it's considered a special Pokemon (which is pretty much the equivalent of a legendary, even though Phione is anything but that). Instead, I go with Dewgong:

It's not neccessarily the most beatiful Pokemon (or shiny for that matter), but since it always slipps through my radar, I think that's enough of a reason to pick it. Its moves would be Megahorn/Zen Headbutt/Icicle Crash/Recover.
    The first two moves because it looks a lot like a Pokemon that would use its head to attack, Icicle Crash gives it a good physical Ice type STAB move and Recover allows it to take hits better.

You have no idea how happy am I to see you in this club, let alone this section! Then I have no idea you're a Water-type fan to begin with. {XD}

I love your special movesets for Dewgong, the first two moves make perfect sense. And yes I forgot the fact that it couldn't learn Icicle Crash normally and Recover is definitely a better move than Rest, due to Dewgong's typing.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Here's a new topic for us:
    - Keep in mind Water-types only.
    - Be overpower as much as you want, just give a good explanation

I'm going to go a different route and hand out a Special Contest Milotic with maxed out Contest stats and the Move Draining Kiss.

I would also give it a 'Rainbow Scarf' so it can gain more appeal in the viewing stage.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    You have no idea how happy am I to see you in this club, let alone this section! Then I have no idea you're a Water-type fan to begin with. {XD}
    Yeah, I am. Although, I wouldn't be me, if I didn't have something else in mind, as well. :P
    I love your special movesets for Dewgong, the first two moves make perfect sense. And yes I forgot the fact that it couldn't learn Icicle Crash normally and Recover is definitely a better move than Rest, due to Dewgong's typing.
    Not knowing what moves a Pokemon can learn just shows how easy it is for some to get forgotten, which is one of the reasons why I brought it up in the first place. I mean, especially for a type that has so many different Pokemon you easily forget some of them. {XD}

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm going to go a different route and hand out a Special Contest Milotic with maxed out Contest stats and the Move Draining Kiss.

I would also give it a 'Rainbow Scarf' so it can gain more appeal in the viewing stage.

Endorsing Contest Pokemon isn't a bad idea. It would be great if Contests were promoted in the anime like before. :) Even better if Milotic has a Mega Evolution.

Yeah, I am. Although, I wouldn't be me, if I didn't have something else in mind, as well. :P
    Not knowing what moves a Pokemon can learn just shows how easy it is for some to get forgotten, which is one of the reasons why I brought it up in the first place. I mean, especially for a type that has so many different Pokemon you easily forget some of them. {XD}
    *glomps*
    Yeah, it is sad when you think about it -- getting demoted to the forgotten tier. While Dewgong's old friend, Cloyster's situation is somewhat better due to Skill Link and slightly better movepool, which are at least beneficial moves.

Years
  • R.F. is right, it does get sad when your fave Pokemon gets forgotten mainly due to people claiming it sucks on the competitive scene but giving it a move that the Pokemon so desperately wants can help it put its head above the water. Heck, it was nice to see him suggesting Dewgong because I sometimes forget it myself.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today

Mind if I ask you, why not give Feebas instead? It could have the same attributes you described, but on level 5. That way people not only get the honor to evolve it themselves, which gives them more of a satisfactory feeling (how many especially casual players get into a situation where they are allowed to evolve a shiny into another one, especially when it's one of their favorites?), but also allows them to use it during their playthroughs. Fully evolved Pokemon usually tend to be high leveled making them unsuitable for about 90% of your playthrough. And if you don't want to use it during a playthrough, there's still the EXP Share which makes training fairly easy.
    *glomps*
    Yeah, it is sad when you think about it -- getting demoted to the forgotten tier. While Dewgong's old friend, Cloyster's situation is somewhat better due to Skill Link and slightly better movepool, which are at least beneficial moves.
    Tbh. I'm not much of a fan of Cloyster. It needs a Focus Sash in order to get its job done, meaning that you can't even switch it in a decently strong attack or when hazards are up, without losing the effect of said item.
    Even if you get it in, there's still a good chance for it to lose, either because of your opponent negating your strategy by switching in something that walls it, or by phazing it out, or by abusing its lowered defense with priority moves.

I think Gyarados does the job better, because even though it's weak to rocks as well, it at least has a decent SpD and Intimidate in order to make up for its lower Def. Also Dragon Dance doesn't lower its defenses.

Don't get me wrong: while I'm not a big fan of it, I still think Cloyster is pretty cool. Especially when it gets an opportunity to set up, it's going to ruin your day. {XD}

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

There's an idea. Giving players a Shiny Purple Feebas would help give players a Shiny they could evolve. Level 5 would be a good level as with the beauty stat already maxed the Fish Pokemon will evolve into Milotic early on.

Perhaps say an Electric Gym could be the first Gym so Milotic wouldn't be overpowered at the start of the game.

Giving away a Shiny Feebas may also please longtime players who recall how hard the Yellow and Blue fish was to get at all in Gen 3 and Milotic was even harder.

Is it just me or is a nice touch that Shiny Milotic (Creamy Yellow and Sky Blue) has the same colour scheme as regular Feebas? (Yellow and Sky Blue)

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Perhaps say an Electric Gym could be the first Gym so Milotic wouldn't be overpowered at the start of the game.
    I wouldn't be too worried about it being op in the beginning. Just remember: all it has is max contest stats and a move that's not even that strong. Never was there any mention of moves like Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, etc. so it would probably still have Tackle and Splash. Also one could easily make the second Gym Leader have Pokemon above level 20, the level when Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which I think has at least some similarities.

If anything, I'd rather encourage people to use it, by putting in little cutscenes that get unlocked, when having it around. Kind of like that shiny Metagross in ORAS where you get some special talk when talking to the right people.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I wouldn't be too worried about it being op in the beginning. Just remember: all it has is max contest stats and a move that's not even that strong. Never was there any mention of moves like Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, etc. so it would probably still have Tackle and Splash. Also one could easily make the second Gym Leader have Pokemon above level 20, the level when Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which I think has at least some similarities.

If anything, I'd rather encourage people to use it, by putting in little cutscenes that get unlocked, when having it around. Kind of like that shiny Metagross in ORAS where you get some special talk when talking to the right people.

In Red and Blue and its remakes you could theoretically have a Gyarados before you face Misty so having a Milotic early on wouldn't break the game as it doesn't learn any very powerful moves early on.

Indeed I imported a Level 1 Milotic into my initial White 2 Playthrough and it didn't make the game 'easy mode' by any means.

Incidentally Splash is actually a good move for a Contest Pokémon to have. It is a 'Cute' move and gives the Pokémon who performs it 4 hearts. Tackle is similar but is a 'Tough' move.

I knew Diancie had a special scene if you went into a Pokémon Center with it but was unaware that Beldum was the same. Admittedly I did not get the Shiny Beldum.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I wouldn't be too worried about it being op in the beginning. Just remember: all it has is max contest stats and a move that's not even that strong. Never was there any mention of moves like Hydro Pump, Ice Beam, etc. so it would probably still have Tackle and Splash. Also one could easily make the second Gym Leader have Pokemon above level 20, the level when Magikarp evolves into Gyarados, which I think has at least some similarities.

In Red and Blue and its remakes you could theoretically have a Gyarados before you face Misty so having a Milotic early on wouldn't break the game as it doesn't learn any very powerful moves early on.

Indeed I imported a Level 1 Milotic into my initial White 2 Playthrough and it didn't make the game 'easy mode' by any means.

Incidentally Splash is actually a good move for a Contest Pokémon to have. It is a 'Cute' move and gives the Pokémon who performs it 4 hearts. Tackle is similar but is a 'Tough' move.

I knew Diancie had a special scene if you went into a Pokémon Center with it but was unaware that Beldum was the same. Admittedly I did not get the Shiny Beldum.

I love the convo up there. <3

Let's talk about moves, the Water-type doesn't have too much status moves(vs Psychic, Grass, Poison), do you think they should introduce some?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Let's talk about moves, the Water-type doesn't have too much status moves(vs Psychic, Grass, Poison), do you think they should introduce some?
    You mean moves like Withdraw, Water Sport and Rain Dance? There's also moves like Scald and Whirlpool which not only have an effect like causing Burn and trapping the opponent, but also do some damage.

I personally think there's already a good amount of supportive Water status moves, but if we're talking status inflicting moves, that's a completely different story :D

An interesting concept would be a Drowning status that works similar to Perish Song, but as a status condition. If a Pokemon, that's not a Water type, is afflicted with that condition, comes into battle, it only gets three turns, before it faints. However as a twist (and to make it less op) there could be a couple moves that could cure that condition (besides Heal Bell and Aromatherapy). It could be any Ice or Fire and certain Grass type moves, or pretty much anything that could potentially remove Water.

Sun

Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    You mean moves like Withdraw, Water Sport and Rain Dance? There's also moves like Scald and Whirlpool which not only have an effect like causing Burn and trapping the opponent, but also do some damage.

I personally think there's already a good amount of supportive Water status moves, but if we're talking status inflicting moves, that's a completely different story :D

An interesting concept would be a Drowning status that works similar to Perish Song, but as a status condition. If a Pokemon, that's not a Water type, is afflicted with that condition, comes into battle, it only gets three turns, before it faints. However as a twist (and to make it less op) there could be a couple moves that could cure that condition (besides Heal Bell and Aromatherapy). It could be any Ice or Fire and certain Grass type moves, or pretty much anything that could potentially remove Water.

Yeah, my main point is status inflicting and why is Shell Smash not Water-type when Withdraw is? D:

Every none Water-type that takes part in a wide waterbody should be affected by this condition automatically. >:) Three turns, you're out. I like the ring of it. Make it one turn under the sea. >:)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back