• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do books or movies ever make you cry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izanagi

Jesus Saves.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 14, 2011
    Books don't really make me cry, but some movies make me feel so emotional. Like "Meet Joe Black", or "A.I. Artificial Intelligence".

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    Movies, sometimes. It's way easier for a movie to make you cry then a book IMO.

I'll be totally honest, Harry Potter and Half Blood Prince the book made me cry. >_>

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    I'm watching Pan's Labyrinth now, and I'm weeping already, twenty minutes in. :
    Spoiler:

but I am crying!

Liz Picnicker

My Nidoran! It's So Pretty :D
    Years
    harry potter 7
    marley and me
    i am legend
    my sisters keeper
    night
    shiloh
    and theres tons of movies so i'm not gonna try :D

Pan's Labyrinth had me bawling like a baby:
    Spoiler:

It's a beautiful, terrible, terrifying, liberating film that I strongly urge all of you to watch.

love lovelovelovelovelovelove
    and yes, i cried at that part too

Last edited:
    Years
    I seldom read and when I do it's never anything deeply emotional, more comedy, although Tucker Max's I hope they serve beer in hell has had me crying from laughter on at least two occasions.

Films I've never cried to, but they can make me feel emotional at times, just never quite to the point of crying but as with books there's very few films I watch of that persuasion. Though for some reason one film that does get me close is Bid Daddy, not sure why. Adam Sandler seems to be a running theme.

And games much likes films, some make me emotional (Heavy Rain jumps out alot, as does Shenmue) but again, never quite to the point of crying.

I think the only piece of fictional media to ever make me full on cry was Jack Frost when I was like, 10. xD Looking back on it now, after watching the Nostalgia Critic review it was so lame.

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
    I've never really cried during a movie, but two of the most emotional movies I've seen are Big Fish, which has a really good but somber ending.

And the second one was Taking Chance, which is actually a really cool and patriotic movie about an event that really happened. Some of the scenes that happen in that movie and knowing that those events actually happened in real life really hit close to home.

But really, if you guys want to see a really good movie, see Taking Chance. It is an incredibly powerful movie.

chicanery

is this youth?
    Years
    i've seen Taking Chance. :c it's really powerful, i didn't cry but i felt depressed afterward ;;

Never watch Reservation Road, guys D: it's the first movie that ever made me bawl, right at the end... and the whole thing is so depressing...

i cry at the weirdest things, otherwise... the first bit of video that made me cry was a little animation called "Kiwi!" :'D i cried at Where the Wild Things Are, and i cried at this one part of Avatar...

Kon~

Years
    love lovelovelovelovelovelove
    and yes, i cried at that part too

*newbestfriend*

I'm watching it now... I've cried three times so far and I haven't even reached the end yet... :')

The bit that got me this time around was:
    Spoiler:

I cried aloud.

EDIT: Yay, 600th post!

Neo Pikachu

Forever Gold
    Years
    i've seen Taking Chance. :c it's really powerful, i didn't cry but i felt depressed afterward ;;

Yeah, neither did I (heck, I can't remember the last time I cried at a movie, if ever), but there is a lot of powerful imagery in there. Anyone who has lost faith in America really should watch it.

I haven't ever felt down from a book either, but I have read a few that made me laugh and smile.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    The Dog of Flanders is easily the saddest movie of all time, at least, for animation.

You can find it on Youtube; it's from 1999, and theme is really, really sad. Poor kid.

I cried eight times :| but books don't make me cry.

The book: I forget the name of it, but I remember this was back in sixth grade, and it was talking about some guy putting a newly born baby to sleep, because people in that book were not allowed to have more than two kids.

Oh, that looks like The Giver, yeah. It wasn't for two or more kids, though. It was for twins - twins, triplets... COPIES were completely forbidden, as was renaming a child the same name as someone who betrayed the people there. Jobs were given out, not chosen. Everyone got the same amount to eat, and everyone who said "I'm starving" were smacked. People were also colourblind.

I hated that book's theme.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I dunno about books, since I haven't read many since middle school and the ones since then weren't really emotive in nature (though during middle school almost all the books we read were emotionally jarring to me, including The Giver), but movies? Oh my. This might sound dumb as hell but most any movie can get me choked up or summon water from my eyes. The key is not so much that it's an emotional moment, but that it's a moment at which the music kind of climaxes (which often occurs in emotional scenes, sad, happy, or otherwise). Sound has a profound effect on me, especially regarding emotional reaction. I'm also just highly emotional in general X3

There's also something else in films that gets me choked up that even I can't figure out what it is or where it comes from. I'll get teary just out of nowhere sometimes. This tends to happen with old Pokemon movies, actually, and some other old things I watched as a kid, so perhaps it's nostalgia?

Kon~

Years
    I dunno about books, since I haven't read many since middle school and the ones since then weren't really emotive in nature (though during middle school almost all the books we read were emotionally jarring to me, including The Giver), but movies? Oh my. This might sound dumb as hell but most any movie can get me choked up or summon water from my eyes. The key is not so much that it's an emotional moment, but that it's a moment at which the music kind of climaxes (which often occurs in emotional scenes, sad, happy, or otherwise). Sound has a profound effect on me, especially regarding emotional reaction. I'm also just highly emotional in general X3

There's also something else in films that gets me choked up that even I can't figure out what it is or where it comes from. I'll get teary just out of nowhere sometimes. This tends to happen with old Pokemon movies, actually, and some other old things I watched as a kid, so perhaps it's nostalgia?

# Recently I rewatched The Voice of the Forest, and it made me cry.
    Spoiler:

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    # Recently I rewatched The Voice of the Forest, and it made me cry.
    Spoiler:

I have that movie. I think the part after that gets me harder though. Happy, relieving parts seem to actually trigger it for me more so than sad ones sometimes, though it depends on the movie.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    I cried at Bambi. And if you didn't the you simply don't have a soul.

PKFL_531

What do you expect?
    Years
    Here are things that made me cry in the past...

Movies...
    - Bridge to Terabithia
    - A.I. Artificial Intelligence
    - Spirited Away

Books...
    - After the First Death
    - When Jeff Comes Home
    - Of Mice and Men

Videogames...
    - MOTHER 3
    - Pokémon Sapphire, when I heard the Ending Credits for the first time(it was my first videogame... ever)
    - MOTHER 3
    - Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, Red Version
    - MOTHER 3(it actually made me cry 17 times, but if I posted it 17 times, it'd probably be spam)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back