• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

do u use shorthand typing?

Patatas Fritas

bajo el mismo sol ღ
    Years
    No, I really hate shorthand it's just annoying and half the time I don't even know what people are trying to say when they use it. xD
    I use abbreviations like lol and stuff like that, but you'll be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't of this generation.
    I try to use capital letters and correct punctuation in chats and texts but it's more annoying with texts and I just capitilise the first letter at the start of a sentence. In chats I tend to use correct grammar - But it depends who I'm talking too and how lazy I feel on the day.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I only use it for stuff like idk, or ikr. I don't really use abbreviation like lol or lmao. I like to use full proper words as much as I can to help with my literature skills.

Years
    I do not; I blooming hate chat speak.
    When I see someone typin liek dis, an cutin of dier wurds, somting mus be rong.

*Shudder*​

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I don't use shorthand typing even when I'm on YIM because I feel like a noob when I use it. Also, there are times when I leave out periods, but that's because I don't feel like putting the period in.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    "LOL" and the like are about all the shorthand I use, and I only use it on occasion. I'm a firm believer in using proper grammar, so I stay away from using chat-speak - unless I'm joking around with my friends or something.

Pokemon Trainer Touko

春野サクラ ♥
    Years
    I hate it when people use a LOT of shorthand typing 'cause it's REEEEEALLY hard to read especially for those that has dyslexia. ;w; I do occasionally use shorthand typing such as 'Lol', 'Idk', 'Tbh' and 'imo' but that's pretty much it.. xD;;

Years
    When I text I tend to usually spell everything out, maybe a few times use "ur" instead of "your" and little things like that.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
    I try to have fairly good grammar and spelling, although when typing quickly as I do in chats I tend to be a horrible speller. I also sometimes have grammar issues when trying to get my thoughts across quickly. Basically I try to make everything perfect when I have time to and tend to care less when I don't. /shrug

I shouldn't even bother posting here. I should just say "Same as her, like always." XD But yeah, when I am typing an actual forum post, like this, I take the take to spell everything out and make it look nice.

In chats, it all goes out the window. >__> I shorten my words, I makes TONS of typos, and I generally look like my grammar level is that of a worm.

Dr. McNinja

Sir Harold of England
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2011
    i use it all d4 tyme u kno, im rly in wit da grammar thin. its rly important to type propaly cos it like makes u sond mor offishal.

Innit.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2013
    I don't use shorthand typing. I don't like to, nor do I really need to. I can type pretty fast so it's not like I need to save time or anything.

But I don't mind when other people do, to a certain extent. As long as I can still read it, it doesn't bother me.

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
    Years
    i rly h8 wen ppl use cht speak cant u just talk normal

rrly bro

Ugh I hate chat speak. It's horrid. The most I do is not capitalize or not use apostrophes on irc and stuff. Unless I'm joking around of course

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    shrt& typing iz convenient @ times, bt overdoing it makes u look v dumb. I wud advise not 2 typ lik dis unls you're talkin w a clos frend or sth.

Years
    I can't stand shorthand typing, and it actually makes it harder to understand than if you took the time to fully flesh out your sentences.

Actually, I never used to have much of a problem with it until a year or two ago. I was proofreading someone's essay for them in English, and they actually used both imo and tho (instead of though) in their essay. Really? You're in high school...

OriginGiratina

Dragon-type Trainer
    Years
    I h8 shrthnd typin n I dnt use it. Y shud I use shrthnd typin if dis ding hasnt gud grammar. I c many ppl speekin lyk dat n I tell em ''Wut r u sayin?''

This thing took me some time to write it. It is funny!

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I mostly use full words but I do use certain shortcuts like u and cuz. I also use abbreviations like idk and tbh. This is mostly over text and MSN though, not on forums and such. Like I'm actually using capitals, apostrophes and punctuation here but on MSN I never do haha.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    the only time i use short hand is when I am texting a long text to someone and i dont want to make multiple messages because it takes too long and i lose my train of thought. otherwise i basically don't use it. like in this post sometimes i dont bother with grammar really. ladidadidaaaaa.~~:*)

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    @texting: i do type properly because my phone automatically fixes the issues, haha

@msn/ chatrooms: i type in shorthand case because it is faster. sometimes i type in proper case when i want to be understood a little more.

@ forums: sometimes i do type in all lowercase. do not think of it as being lazy, noob, or whatnot... sometimes shorthand typing is a good indication that the user is tired, rusehed, tense, crampy, idk ! you better watch out when i am typing in shorthand. ;o

Althea

[For Sale]
    Years
    *twitch*

Chatspeak and shorthand typing is one of the few things that has the power to immediately irritate me. I use a few acronyms every now and then, although that is more for shortening titles etc, I never use the standard ones like "lol" or whatever; they're conversation killers, because there isn't really anything you can say to them.

Even when I first started posting on forums, I used near-perfect (everyone makes mistakes) spelling, grammar and punctuation, and whilst I don't mind typos and whatnot, chatspeak or anything else is the best way to get on my nerves online. I had it all drilled into me from a very young age, and it isn't a habit I intend to break anytime soon. I can tolerate the occasional shortening of words here and there, but otherwise I have absolutely no tolerance for it whatsoever; my generally easygoing and hopefully passably friendly manner goes right out the window, and I turn very unpleasant. It is just THAT aggravating for me, because I don't really see the need for it. It doesn't take THAT long to type out "you" in place of "u" or whatever.

/mini rant

River

Ninjah Penguin <3
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Sep 16, 2011
    Y U GAIZ NO UHPREESHEATE SHRTHND T_T

I..don't even know. I think I just butchered the shorthand language or whatever. I can't write it, it takes forever, and I can barely read it. I do tend to overuse emotes, though >.>

But yeah, I try to always type normally. It isn't even really trying anymore, 'tis just...normal. Even in chats and stuff, I capitalize and punctuate and all that jazz. It feels like people would look down on me if I used shorthand, like I was just a newb or something. Sooo I don't do it :3 I do change my words around, though. Saying okies instead of okay, saying 'tis and 'twas, saying haii instead of hello, little things like that.

Back