• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you enjoy playing the game under leveled?

awsomedude30

Am I a beginning trainer?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    The title says all. When i first beat the elite four my highest lvl was a 37. When i beat red, highest lvl was 51.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    In general, I prefer not to be underleveled. It does add a bit of a challenge to an otherwise easy game, but I generally spend so much time training/catching and leveling up new Pokemon/breeding before beating these games that I don't end up being underleveled.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
    I like to be over-leveled.

For example, in Leaf Green, I was level 65 on 50 Pokemon before battling the Elite Four.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I prefer to be overleveled. I raise my pokemon for hours till I think they're high enough. When battling Morty my lowest leveled pkmn was 6 levels higher than his gengar.

aceattorneyweirdgirl

oh heck oh frig im girl now
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen Jan 28, 2024
    ... I would'a thought this'd go in Pokemon General, but anyway...

Yes. Am I the only one who likes a challenge? As in a BIG challenge?
    I'm in Australia, but I damn well can't wait to lose against Falkner's evil Pidgeotto!
    Level 12 Chikorita? BRING. IT. ON.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    I insist on being underleveled because that is the only way to make the game interesting. Overleveling makes the game incredibly dull. Game Freak seriously needs to add a difficulty switch on the next gen game.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    no I like my pokemon just average leveled. If I want a challenge I'll use a difficult pokemon, or for gyms, a pokemon thats not good against the type

Panique

BUGSY IS GAY FOR METAPOD
    Years
    If my Pokemon are underleveled, I hate it. ;-; But I'm also really lazy. So I guess we'll see what happens when I get HG!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Moved to General Pokemon Gaming as this can apply to other games (and people have posted about them already as well) than just HGSS.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    Eh, I prefer being around the same levels as the Gym Leaders I am facing. It provides some sort of challenge, but it won't be too much that I would always have to struggle throughout the whole match. Sometimes, though, I tend to over-level my Pokemons to a point where I only need one Pokemon to dominate the whole match. :<

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    I prefer over leveled. My strongest pokemon should be atleast 10 levels above the average pkmn found in the area.
    I insist on being underleveled because that is the only way to make the game interesting. Overleveling makes the game incredibly dull. Game Freak seriously needs to add a difficulty switch on the next gen game.
    Think of what this will do to EV training. It will take away all the effort of getting the evs, cause your level 5 Larvitar can easily destroy your opponents lv 15 Mankey to get the attack EVs. I think this will ruin the satisfaction of EV training, and the finished result of your super pokemon won't look so fantastic as you originally thought.

awsomedude30

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    Being underlevelled is great! It adds lots of challenge to the game.
    Just try to be a couple levels above Whitney though. :P
    lol whitney was hell i had to restart 5 times to get some burn hax even then i had to potion stall

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
    I hate it, since currently, I'm getting walled by Pryce whose Blizzards hit every time w/o Hail. In RSE I got walled by Winnona or Tate and Liza. In GSC, well it was alot easier since I didn't know what to do after I got the egg so I had a Quilava before I got to Falkner, same as RBY. In DPP I was walled by Fantina in DP and Gardenia in Plat (I had Prinplup).

awsomedude30

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2014
    I hate it, since currently, I'm getting walled by Pryce whose Blizzards hit every time w/o Hail. In RSE I got walled by Winnona or Tate and Liza. In GSC, well it was alot easier since I didn't know what to do after I got the egg so I had a Quilava before I got to Falkner, same as RBY. In DPP I was walled by Fantina in DP and Gardenia in Plat (I had Prinplup).

yea but you gotta admit it makes the game alot more challenging and remnant of the anime. imagine if ash plowed through all the gyms and all the elite 4 with no challenges whatsoever it'd be boring

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    No, I always level grind and play through overleveled. I don't like fainting. I like marching into a gym with my Pokemon 7-10 levels ahead of the Leader's and completely annihilating their team. That brings me joy.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Yes, I enjoy being underlevelled. Partially because I enjoy the challenge, just walking over opponents can be very dull, and partly because I just hate grinding. I run from most wild opponents and just beat the NPCs for experience.

Back