• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you have a job?

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    See title. Who here has a job? If so, what is it? Do you enjoy it and when did you start? And if not, why not? Are you looking for one, assuming you're at the right age?

I work at a local-ish guitar shop during school holidays and absolutely love it. The other staff are really good people and the actual work itself is pretty interesting since I get to spend all day talking to people about and interacting with something I love. I couldn't really think of many better jobs, although I'll hopefully be moving onto something else at some point. When I'm not doing that I pick up a little extra cash, although it's not really a proper job, reffing football matches. There are loads going on in the summer so it's quite easy to get a match.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    As I'm sure a lot of people are sick to death of hearing, I work in a liquor store. I started there in early 2009 and I still love it most of the time. My favourite part of the job is the ID checking and the fights you get to have with people who have no ID - or even better - parents of people who have no ID. It's such a rush watching them yell at you and then getting to yell back and put them in their place.

It happened just tonight, a father was screaming at me while his daughter drove home to get her ID. He threatened to not buy the stuff, he tried every trick in the book. He even asked to see my ID. I got to use my "oh please" face so much I nearly wore it out.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I don't have a job.

Why?

I pretty much have a busy life at the moment, especially with all of the late evening lessons I have at school. It takes up most of my time and I only have the weekends and holidays to prepare and relax. Another reason of why I don't have a job is because I already get paid by EMA and I also can't find a job to take on.

JimJams

Giggles at the Ghosties
    Years
    I'd sure like to have a job. :[
    I'm a busy student though and jobs are really scarce around me anyway.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
    I do indeed have a job, and I work at my local grocery store. The job itself is really easy (Stocking the shelves...it's not rocket science), but I thoroughly dislike it due to the people I work with. I graduated high school, I'm sorry, but I don't need to feel like I'm back there with the amount of drama you guys are causing in our department. Just stop =P

Years
    I'm an office monkey. I sit at a desk, sometimes answering phones, and listen to confused people complain and ask the same questions over and over. It's pretty tiring even if I'm not doing a whole lot. Actually, that's why it's pretty tiring - nothing to keep my attention and challenge me. But it pays enough to keep me from having to eat cup ramen every night.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    I currently don't have job, but the college course I'm gonna be on involves me going to farms for work experience.

Ayselipera

No and I've been putting it off since I was able to apply for one. Although I think once school starts I'm going to have to start looking and in some ways I sort of don't mind because I like having money on me even if I don't plan on spending it wildly. I'm hoping to get some sort of clothing store job. Honestly anything besides fast food is fine with me.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
    Been looking all summer.

I have to push back enrollment into University because I can't find one. :|

One manager really screwed me over. I went in for an interview, they said "Okay, we'll give you a call when one of our workers finishes their 2 week notice. We'll give you a start date then." i.e. You're hired.

I waited, called back every week for updates, they said "We'll call you back when the notice is worked off." I go in 3 weeks after that interview and see 10 new people working 2nd shift.

Just say you won't hire me. Not that hard. -_-

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Been looking for a job all year. Hopefully going to get one at a fancy restaurant in my town though. But I'll only be able to work Sundays cause my schedule during school is just THAT tight. But since it's fancy, there should be good tips. Hope I get it. I don't wanna work with food, but they have brunches on Sunday, so it's not like I'll be bringing food to a table. I'm gonna go now lol. Oh, to those of y'all looking for a job like me, good luck. :)

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I don't have a job and i'm not looking for one for another couple of months. I've had summer school take up most of my time, and there's no point in starting somewhere only to have to leave for school to start up this fall.

however, once i'm on campus, you bet i'll be in a full on job search mode.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I wish I had a job. Those things are rarer than a snipe. =/ But man, if I had one, I'd be rolling fat ones all day, buy me some new kicks. The things I'd do if I had money...(:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Work part time as a cashier at a large supermarket. I'll tell you, it's one of the most soul destroying things you'll ever do. It's not just the repetitiveness, it's the morons who think that I am personally responsible for whatever's happened that they dislike with the supermarket, whether it be rules, stock not there, prices going up etc or that I somehow get any say into what the company does. Yeah, OK, if I was at the customer service desk, I could see why you're telling me. But I'm a part-time cashier, I hate the company as much as you do and I get zero say. I applied to be a shelf-stacker by the way, customer service was not something I was planning on.

There's loads of things that annoy me with customers, but I'd rather not make a huge post.

As I'm sure a lot of people are sick to death of hearing, I work in a liquor store. I started there in early 2009 and I still love it most of the time. My favourite part of the job is the ID checking and the fights you get to have with people who have no ID - or even better - parents of people who have no ID. It's such a rush watching them yell at you and then getting to yell back and put them in their place.

It happened just tonight, a father was screaming at me while his daughter drove home to get her ID. He threatened to not buy the stuff, he tried every trick in the book. He even asked to see my ID. I got to use my "oh please" face so much I nearly wore it out.

Wish I was allowed to scream at the annoying customers @~@

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2013
    Work part time as a cashier at a large supermarket. I'll tell you, it's one of the most soul destroying things you'll ever do. It's not just the repetitiveness, it's the morons who think that I am personally responsible for whatever's happened that they dislike with the supermarket, whether it be rules, stock not there, prices going up etc or that I somehow get any say into what the company does.

people who have worked or do work in the customer service industry, myself included, are the most bitter and cynical people i've known and that's because- as jorah said- it destroys your soul. you are tested by demons several times in one day. i used to work with kids and i was always a pretty patient person, but when i started working in customer service i've noticed i become very easily agitated. adults can behave much worse than children.

i'm a barista at starbucks, luckily i really love making drinks and i really love the people i work with. bar can be stressful for others but i see it as an outlet for frustration after several hours of ringing people up. anyway, i don't know why people think it's a great idea to be mean to someone who has full control over what they're consuming. i was never this type of person, but i've gotten to the point where i will tamper with the drinks of those who are horrible to my partners. starbucks management is really strict about baristas being constantly perky and welcoming, so it's hard to be vocally aggressive with jerks. what's not hard is whipping them up a nice cup of decaf.

i could rant forever with jorah about customer habits that just kill your day (cellphones ahggh; don't get frustrated with me because your idiot self decided to make a u-turn to starbucks when you were already running late christ) but i gotta go to work in 20 minutes

Years
    I am helping out at my father's restaurant at the moment. I am a student at college during the winter :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 29, 2012
    believe me or not but i work as a graphic/web designer at ServU Life Insurance Services, Inc. (:

Back