• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you pick your Pokemon on your team because of design, or battle prowess?

Yumetaro

MAI RIBBONS
Years
  • I normally choose mine by design in the games. On Pokemon Showdown, that is where I choose of battle prowess and stuff like that?

So do you choose Pokemon on your team to be the strongest in OU/UU/Whatever-U? Or how cool or cute a Pokemon is?

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • I don't usually care about the design, no matter who the Pokemon is. Prowess seems to be the more important choice for me. I like picking up Pokemon who have a certain quality such as Attack or Special Attack. That's why I picked up so many Drilburs and Litwicks in the games.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I try for both. I like having a creative, but powerful team. Sometimes you have to sacrifice prowess for creativity and design, but that's what makes battling interesting.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I always go for design! To me doesn't matter if they have good stats or move pools - I figure something out along the way, some how all my teams work, if my top 2 favorite Pokemon aren't with me it isn't a team (at least once I gotten them - they are Watchog & Mienshao)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    In-game, it's both. If the Pokémon's got a good-looking design and has enough strength to carry itself throughout a match, then I will have no problem putting it onto my team. When it comes to competitive battling though, I base my Pokémon off stats only. d:

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I pick the most effective, if it comes between two or more I'll go with whatever I like more. I also prefer Gen 1 Pokémon. If it comes down to filling a hole and I can use a Gen 1 Pokémon, I will. For example:

Gengar > Aegislash
    Starmie > Other Spinners
    Chansey > Blissey

That is only as long as that decision doesn't hurt me. If it helps less but still helps I will use Gen 1. I am a self proclaimed Genwunner after all.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I guess it's a mix of all three for me. I prefer battle prowess, but when there's a Pokemon I really like in terms of design, I do my best to optimize it for battle, which can be a really fun challenge. I'm going through White 2 with a Cincinno in my main team. I just chose her because she's adorable, but it turns out Cincinno is actually pretty darned good in battle :)

TheKantoKid

Let's go, Pikachu!
    Years
  • Design all the way. If a pokemon has good design but bad battle prowess then I do my best to make them playable. Example Regigigas. A legendary that's weak for the first five turns. I would make it a stall set until it can Return kill everything

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    I'm more inclined to go for those Pokemon whose designs I like, but if they're powerful that's a plus for me :D Sometimes I do go for those who are pretty powerful but designs aren't as great. Like for example, personally I'm not a fan of Gliscor's design but one of my favorite Pokemon to use in battle.

The Admiiral

My love= Para-hax
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    I actually don't have a preference.
    Dedenne can fight on it's own
    Metapod is funny to use
    It's hilarious killing things with a Jigglypuff.
    I love sweeping with Xerneas
    And so on.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • My in-game teams are completely based of design. I only like to play with my favourites.
    Whereas naturally when I battle competitively, its stats and move pools that take priority when I'm constructing a team.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Design for the most part, but when a pokémon I love for its design just happens to be adopted into Smogon's OU tier, it's just icing on the cake, so to speak.

I should probably also mention that my taste in pokémon design seems to differ greatly from most in the fandom. I think the Garbodor and Vanilluxe familes are the most creative and well-thought-out pokémon from the fifth generation, for example, while most are content to simply pile hate on them.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I should probably also mention that my taste in pokémon design seems to differ greatly from most in the fandom. I think the Garbodor and Vanilluxe familes are the most creative and well-thought-out pokémon from the fifth generation, for example, while most are content to simply pile hate on them.

Vanillite is cute, but I don't like its evolutions. I had a Vanillite in my main team in my playthrough of Black, but I gave it an everstone and kept it from evolving. Another example of a cute Pokemon that can be surprisingly effective in battle if done right.

slim spazzy

Kik: spazzyda59
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    I definietly take pokemon depending on their prowess over design because according to me looks are just skin depp.I usually go for pokemon with high speed and sp attack or attack.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    My teams are usualy based on design. I balance out the types and have a pokemon for most situations. I tend to stick with high attack and special attack though, force of habit

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I mostly take battle prowess in account when building a team, but at the same time, I also pick Pokemon that look good and aren't Uber. I'd pick the likes of Raichu, Feraligatr, and Dodrio over stuff like Kyogre or Lugia any day of the week!

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Of course battle prowess is the most important... but I also go for availability (when and where are they available).
    Design doesn't really matter that much. I like some cool looking Pokemon but it's not the most important factor.

Back