• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you smoke cigarettes?

Lucid

I prolly smoke hookah the most, I just like how social it is yaknow. I've met a lot of awesome people just having hookah sessions at my pad. I also gotta tobacco pipe I use to smoke cavendish which I prefer over cigarettes. otherwise I smoke turkish royals, maybe a pack a week. smoking's fun.

Someone is gonna reenact the plot of thank you for smoking on u

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
    I'm in the minority here. I smoke fairly frequently. I used to smoke pretty heavily back when I was a full-time employee trying to pay rent and a full-time student trying to get a degree. That was stressful. I quit after about two years for around a year, and then this semester picked it up again now that classes have gotten hella intense and professors are all dickweeds. I've cut back considerably from earlier this year, but I'm still smoking a pack about once every 3-4 days.

As for why I started, I wanted to be a rebellious teen, of course. Smoking and drinking underage is so cool, dude.[/sarcasm]
    I got started on a good ol' southern favorite:
    Do you smoke cigarettes?

but quickly branched out and started trying other kinds. Eventually settled on these:
    Do you smoke cigarettes?

for most of the two years I smoked heavily. They were thick and cheap and I liked the way they tasted. And they don't leave quite the awful stench of Marlboro Reds. I hate that smell.
    Before I quit some of my fellow smoking compadres turned me on to the Camel line of cigs, and now what I smoke are these:
    Do you smoke cigarettes?

As for what motivated me to quit, a combination of factors. I'd been single for ages and thought I'd try to make myself more presentable, so I started wearing nicer clothes and tried to smoke less so I wouldn't smell bad to others. Also, I just so happened to move onto a college campus that only allowed smoking in your personal vehicle, and at the time I had none. I'd still say I quit mostly because I was trying to appeal to girls, though.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
    Years
    Nah, but I'd like to try hooka when I grow up though. At least it has flavour.

Detox

I smoked one once before. It was shit, and I haven't done it since.

Years
    I'm kind of the oddball in my family in that I didn't take up smoking, even though I had more opportunities than I can count growing up. Both my parents and my sister started in their early teens, and my dad was the only one that's managed to quit (after 24 years of doing it, and 3 unsuccessful attempts at quitting). To be honest, I grew up around it, so I don't think it was so much the health effects that kept me away, but seeing how much money my parents spent on it, and how hard it was for my dad to quit made me never want to get into it.

What I find funny though is that part of my job requires me to have knowledge about all types of cigarettes for customers, so I could tell you all about 50-60 different types of cigarettes from dozens of brands, despite never having smoked one myself.

Omicron

the day was mine
    Years
    Nope. I have always hated it and always known I would never smoke. I think it is terrible, but I won't look down upon those who take on the habit.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
    I haven't and I won't ever. My respiratory system isn't that great already and being close to a smoker won't really help, smoking myself would be one of the least clever ideas to do.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    No I would never, my mother went through it and I had to do a lot to get her to finally give up. Smoking's a terrible habit and I feel like it shouldn't ever be a thing.

how on earth did you get her to stop? my mother's been smoking since her 20s, and despite my dad's efforts to discourage smoking day in day out, she now says it's ''a part of her'' and she'll never quit. i never took it very seriously before, but now that i'm studying medicine i'm learning practically every day that smoking negatively affects, oh, just about every disease in existence it seems like. and watching her health deteriorate is terrifying, but she won't listen to us :/

needless to say, i'm very much anti-smoking myself... but that's not to say i judge smokers or anything.

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
    how on earth did you get her to stop?

A big eye-opener for me was a little video my best friend sent me. He doesn't like that I smoke, and anytime smoking is brought up he uses it as a reason to tell me smoking is horrible and that I need to stop, in more or less the same words.

The video was an experiment this guy did of the effects of 100 cigarettes on the human lung. He had a contraption set up so that a bowl of water acted like the lungs, so when the machine would "smoke" all the bad stuff got stuck in the water. He sped it up, went through 100 cigs, and by the end of just five packs the bowl of pristine water had turned into a black, tar-like substance. It wasn't even liquid anymore - it was hard and grimy and I'm pretty sure he had to trash the bowl he used for the experiment.

That's what got me to quit the first time. I'm not the person you were asking, but I thought I'd give you the reason I quit. I'll edit this post if I find/remember to look for the video he sent me.

edit:
    I found the video. It's been several years since I saw it, so I apologize for my inaccurate description. I blurred some bits together and messed up on some other details (the man uses 400 cigs instead of the 100 I said earlier). Anyways, here's the video.

I dunno if it'll work for you, but it got me to quit, at least once.

Last edited:

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    My grandmother died of lung cancer due to her smoking habit, and as a result I have never desired to even try. I hate the smell, too, and I really dislike being around smokers. I'm glad there are such strict smoking laws where I live.

~Psychic

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
    Funny, whenever I imagine myself in any scenario, I'm smoking. And I constantly hold things like cigarettes. I've never smoked a day in my life, so maybe I was a bit of an enthusiast in a past life.

But intrigue behind, I don't intend to smoke, but I get real tired of people who bash on it. Look, we've all seen smoking commercials. We all know how horrible it is for you. I'm sure every smoker knows how expensive, life-threatening, and gross their habit is. It's not that you're not being a good person about wanting them to quit their habit, because it is genuinely unhealthy, but most people are so goddamn rude about it. Especially if the smoker wants to quit; do you think shaming them is going to do anything to motivate them? Maybe for a select few, but not for a whole hell of a lot of others - undercutting confidence and making them feel like a piece of trash is not going to help. And this is not me being oversensitive, mind, but rather from first-hand experience of seeing how people blurt out how much they hate smoking the second they see a smoker. Excuse me, but, I don't remember them asking about your feelings on the subject. They have a right to spend their money on whatever they wish. They want to stop, you want to help, fine, but if you're just going to approach the subject with some weird subliminal sense of superiority, then you might as well keep it to yourself.​

bill flibby

Chase is my favorite
    Years
    Excuse me, but, I don't remember them asking about your feelings on the subject.

This is where smokers and non-smokers clash. Non-smokers don't understand why smokers don't understand how unhealthy it is for them, and smokers don't understand why non-smokers don't understand that it isn't easy to decide, "Hey, I'm going to quit now" just like that.

I appreciate that you said this from a non-smoker perspective. There's not a lot of people who stick up for smokers.

Years
    I share your opinions Kiyoshi and bill.

Overally it's really awesome that people here are doing healthy lifestyle though. I'm quite impressed.

As for myself... Well, quitting was relatively easy for me, because I did it gradually. I smoked for 5 years. I don't say it will be easy for anyone. You just have to posess the strong will. People who are overally mentally weak would have hard time to quit. It's all in mentality. Lots of people are under lots of stress and they can't stop. I had those moments as well. Even now sometimes I crave for a cigarette because my work can be hectic from time to time...

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
    If you're smoking, why do you do it?

Socially, when around others. But I'm very very tempted to pick it up as stress relief.

What was the major reason you started?

Peer pressure? Not really. I kinda smoke socially when I'm drunk as a way to hang around people and chat, rather than stand in a noisy room where I can't hear anyone.

What kind of cigarettes do you smoke frequently?

I don't smoke frequently, and have mostly been offered cigarettes, rather than bought them myself.

What are your favorites?

No idea, I'll tell you when I get one.

For how long you're doing this?

A few months now. But the amount I smoke is like, maximum one a month.

How much do you smoke per day?

Lmao, see answer above.

Will I find someone who quit smoking a while ago like myself? If yes, what motivated you to quit?

I'm not addicted, so technically I've no need to quit? I don't buy them myself, and live happily now without them, but I wouldn't mind one or two every week or so. The relief is something I need right now. My other solace at the moment is alcohol. Neither are good.

Back