• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Do you still believe in one another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    Every good bit of humour has an element of truth to it.

Along with his brutally honest cynicism I think the painfully apparent truth to Carlin's humour was why I love his material so much. If you see him off the stage you'll know that was really a persona he put on for the performance, but even then his words and his normal demeanor still didn't conflict... he was genuine. I like that. I admire that.

You uh... you know he's been dead for a while right?

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
    You uh... you know he's been dead for a while right?
    lol, I'm well aware. I wish I could have seen him myself. It's been, uh... nearly seven years now since he came and went. He was of my grandfather's generation, born in the thirties. Not one of those baby boomers.

I recall seeing an interview where he talked a bit about the human legacy, and shared his own thoughts about our species greatest gifts being given by alien species... and for a long time I thought about this. Despite the audience's unenthusiastic reaction to his words, I conjure what he said in that context wasn't really that far in left field. I think possibly their confused and expectant stares may just be because they don't want to listen to things... I don't know. I can grant that ancient astronaut theorists are luny just as much as the NRA folks or anyone else because at the heart of things I think you have to decide for yourself, all on your own. You can't just go with someone else's word because it's the current counterculture, or because you want to fit in. No one can shed a light on reality but yourself.

Sorry about that. I am bothered when wisdom falls on deaf ears, and I did want to make a note. Carlin is the only guy I can think of where I cannot find a public mention he made that didn't make perfect sense at some level or another. I want to be like him for that.

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
    Did someone say George Carlin? Its funny how if I heard his name, I remember his jokes and all that, but what I truly remember him for is something a lot more personal and to my childhood.

Alexander Nicholi

Years

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    > shitstorm incoming

Brace yourselves, everyone! It's gonna be a bumpy ride! *puts on sunglasses*

And just as Alex uttered those words, the entirety of PC exploded in a galatic collision, turning brains into peach trees and textbooks into pizza. After all was said and done, nothing was left but an empty vacuum, which your mother turned on and WENT ALL OVER WITH MHMMM

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    nah I'm just gonna watch a movie 'cause I've only seen like three of the movies that have been nominated and I have no interest in who is gonna win this year

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    What's new in movies anyway? My knowledge of "recent" is about as new as the Wolf of Wall Street, the Lone Ranger, and 47 Ronin. Is there newer cinema out there as good as that? What would you recommend?

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    watchin' them. I've seen... 5 of the best picture nominations, and I really hope Birdman wins. this are my first oscars as a BIG MOVIE FAN so I'm kinda excited. I was thinking about just watching Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but figured yolo.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    What's new in movies anyway? My knowledge of "recent" is about as new as the Wolf of Wall Street, the Lone Ranger, and 47 Ronin. Is there newer cinema out there as good as that? What would you recommend?

cake, birdman, dear white people, etc

Alexander Nicholi

Years
    I really liked all of the crazy off-the-wall shit they did in the Wolf. My favourite moment though was actually a deep one, when the agents were telling him how special he was, as most of the millionaires they were getting for tax evasion were willed their forturnes, which normally explains the greed against taxes as they were raised without monetary limits. He really was something special for that.

Eh, not necessarily. At least not for me.

I have better things to do with my time than watch you guys in that forum:

push liberty, push equality, [insert comment opposing SJWs here], [insert vitriol-saturated rebuttal about aforementioned comment opposing SJWs here], circle jerk, use phrases like "ad hominem" and "strawman", proposition supporters of your opinion for casual sex, verbally clawing at each other's throats, Livewire coming to tell everyone to chill the fuck out or he'll close the thread, everyone continuing to not chill the fuck out, wishing PC had button for stabbing your opponent in the face, and finally Livewire coming in and locking the thread.
    Spoiler:

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    Great Films that I've seen that have come out this decade (in alphabetical order for no reason) (with genres and years for no reason) (bolded ones I loved, bolded/italicized/underlined ones are now in my top 5 ever):

Birdman (2014 - black comedy/psychological drama)
    Black Swan (2010 - psychological thriller/psychological drama)
    Django Unchained (2012 - western/black comedy)
    Drive (2011 - crime/thriller/neo-noir/romance)
    Frances Ha (2012 - drama/comedy)
    Gone Girl (2014 - mystery/psychological drama/crime/thriller)
    The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014 - comedy)
    Her (2013 - romance/sci-fi/drama)
    Holy Motors (2012 - surrealism)
    Inherent Vice (2014 - neo-noir/black comedy/crime/mystery)
    Inside Llewyn Davis (2013 - drama/music)
    Interstellar (2014 - sci fi/drama/adventure)
    It's Such a Beautiful Day (2012 - animation/psychological drama/black comedy/surrealism)
    The Lego Movie (2014 - animation/comedy/adventure/Family)
    Selma (2014 - historical drama/biopic)
    The Social Network (2010 - biopic/drama)
    The Tree of Life (2011 - drama/coming-of-age)
    Whiplash (2014 - music/psychological drama)

I dunno why I took the time to do this. I have too much time on my hands. hope that helps m8

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back