• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you still play the older games?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Not for a while, but I certainly have and will do so again. Played HGSS a bunch with monotype teams and can continue some runs. I replayed Blue and then Crystal on the 3DS via VC. I want to down the track play B2W2 again but on hard mode and with a grass monotype team.

MargatroidCA

Puppeteer of the Hail
    Years
    Oh yes, for sure! Not super often though, just every now and then I'll go back and attempt randomised runs or nuzlockes in the Gen IV and V games, and sometimes I'll even just do normal playthroughs of X/Y and OR/AS (though it's been a while).

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I do, though hardware can be an issue at times. Despite the improvements and new features over the years, there's something I still love about the first few generations (2 is my favorite, but I started with Red, and I love a lot of the gen 1 Pokémon). I regularly play gens 1 and 2 on my 3DS now, along with 7 and a bit of 6. I'll occasionally return to 3-5, though I've been playing them less of late. Not to mention all of the spinoffs.

I tend to return to a lot of older games, though, not just Pokémon. I would love to continue to see releases of older titles on newer hardware to make everything more accessible.

Cid

Years
    I would love to get the older games on Virtual Console. My oldest game at the moment is Pokémon X, because I still don't know where I stashed my old Game Boy and Japanese Pokémon Green.

When I do get them on VC, I'll for sure play them again. Pokémon never gets old, even the older ones. Especially the older ones.

edit: My oldest game at the moment is actually Pearl! My friend lent me his Pearl and I have yet to play it for him. I did play Diamond and Platinum ages ago, though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    I don't mind playing older games, but if I'm going back to an older generation I prefer trying Rom Hacks.

Years
    To be completely honest I play older games all the time. I always do challenge runs in them. I finished Randomized Nuzlocke in Fire Red few days ago, doing another 'locke runs in Black 2 and Omega Ruby and even more. But I tend to pick FRLF and HGSS over RBY and GSC, because they are much more fun to play. I bought Red on VC and it was hell to play.

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    Does soft-resetting count as 'playing'? 😄

Been trying to soft reset for a shiny Celebi for about nine months now (on and off; admittedly more off than on though). Then I plan on soft-resetting for shiny Ho-Oh, Lugia, and the legendary dogs. It's not the best of fun, but it's exciting to think that I could potentially own Hidden Ability shiny forms of the latter ones with the perfect natures. I did actually enjoy very much playing through my childhood region, and I'm excited to finish the Kanto map once my soft-reset adventure is out of the way.

Last edited:
    Back