• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you "talk with your hands"?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    Meaning, do you gesture with your hands while speaking?

EGKangaroo

Tail-bumps for all 'roolovers!
    Years
    My hands are all over the place when I am speaking. Doesn't matter how simple the phrase is, there always some reason for me to gesticulate something. Some people seem to be making too big of a deal of it, or even make fun of it, but for me it's a necessary form of expression that pairs with speaking.

Years
    I never take notice if I talk with my hands or not.. :P However whenever I take a new student around school on a tour (one of my jobs as an assistant in our guidance office), I will communicate with my hands, but mainly just to point things out.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    Talk with my hands a lot I do. It helps to get my point across and to emphasize what I am trying to say, especially since I'm not very vocal in person. I find that hand gestures are part of natural conversation and occurs without me even knowing it, until someone points it out.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I do, but not often enough for people to tell me that I talk with my hands.

Magykx

It's too cold for you here.
    Years
    It's the thing people always point out on me. I am constantly speaking with my hands and I don't even realize it. ESPECIALLY if I am trying to explain something. At least I'm getting some cardio in (haha).

Honest

Hi!
    Years
    If I'm talking about something important or something excited, I get extremely animated. Pretty sure I smacked my friend who was walking by me once as I was talking about some prom proposal that had happened earlier in the day one once. Haha.

Ace.

Love Yourself
    Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2015
    I talk with my hand sometimes. Only when i'm explaining something.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    This is me
    Do you "talk with your hands"?

I do it sometimes. When I'm trying to over-exaggerate something I'm trying to say.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
    No. I'm also rather useless at speaking as-is; go me.

You described perfectly, I almost don't speak much, completely useless and boring in a conversation. So speaking with hands? no, unless its writing or typing or texting.

Years
    I think speaking with your hands helps communicate complex ideas cuz you're using both the vocal and motion parts of your brains to express the idea and you won't lose your train of thought in the middle of talking. It's a habit you pick up after you observe professors lecture after lecture.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
    Years
    Yeah, to the point where it got me in a bit of hot water today when I pointed to the person I was talking about (the hostess at the restaurant I went to knew me from middle school and I was talking about how pretty and nice she had gotten). I'll point, gesture, draw in the air, and just generally animate myself while I talk because I never know what to do with my hands in social situations.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I often do, without realizing it.
    My sister talks with her hands a lot, to the point where she can't form a sentence properly without using her hands.

My sister thought that it was pretty funny when I was saying something about my glasses, then motioned with my hands and accidentally hit my glasses, which hit my face. I was laughing, as well, though.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I do so almost all the time. Even when I'm emphasizing a point, or explaining/describing what I'm actually talking about, like typing or writing, I always use my hands to gesture it. Fun fact: I read this very post out loud, and I used my hands while I was talking. lol

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    I do this all the time that it happens pretty much naturally without me realizing it. I'm part Italian so that might explain it. :P I use it to express my point easier of give more emotion to what I'm saying.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I talk with my hands all the time. Sometimes without noticing it. I suppose it's just become a habit now to the point that whenever I speak, I'm executing some sort of hand movement.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I only catch myself doing it when I really need to emphasize something or when I'm speaking publicly. Otherwise, I'm seldom aware of where my hands are when I'm talking. :p

Back