• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen do you think this is the last genaration?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I heard due to bujet cuts it will end at 8 gernerations.

Ok...Gen 6 isn't out yet, and they don't even have a budget for Gen 7 since the current one hasn't been through market summaries yet. They won't get a budget for the next until the current generation gets at least a years worth of sales out of the way so the company can gauge what needs to be changed and what they need to focus on.

There is no way you can hear about a budget cut that doesn't exist yet due to basic marketing fundamentals.

The Local Joke

Trubbish in the Classroom
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 8, 2013
    This series is a huge moneymaker. It's not ending just like that.

Years
  • I basically second what most of the others said, Pokemon is still making loads of money so it probably won't end anytime soon. In fact, Pokemon is the second-biggest selling video gaming franchise, only just behind Nintendo's own mascot, Mario.

And also like what Quincy said, keeping Pokemon on handhelds allows for more sales of the handheld itself, in this case the 3DS.

Years
  • The last time I thought it was going to end was when HG and SS came out, then when I heard about Black and White I realized they weren't going to end things any time soon. This hardly seems like a last generation game, mostly because they finally switched over to 3DS so it's more like they're just getting started.

bashau

Distinct Phantom
    Years
    • Online now
    it won't the last gen. they'll be more generations. Game freak makes to much on pokemon games to randomly say this the last gen.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I hope not, but they are running out of themes, they have pretty much every legendary they can. Time, space. dimension, God, ect.
    But pokemon is such a massive success that I can see it going on for a very long time. even if someone else takes over.
    Running out of themes was said after fourth generation (they invented Arceus, a god! You can't beat a god!) and after 5th gen (Surely there's no other theme besides the ying and yang/truths and ideals!). And now we have DNA in 6th gen.

I hardly think, given all the ideas we've come up with and all the mythologies throughout the ages created, that they're running out of themes for legendaries. =p
    no, well i hope not.
    though they are running out of ideas, i mean cotton candy pokemon
    We hardly know anything about it and ruling it as a bad idea anyway because it looks like cotton candy? Bit quick there.

Besides, each gen had 'simple' or non-animalistic ideas. Omg, rocks and magnets and a pokeball...later flipped upside down! Letters are now Pokemon! More birds and rodents gee that's an old idea. That didn't stop them making a few more hundred Pokemon since those days.
    I heard due to bujet cuts it will end at 8 gernerations.
    This really is quite an unfounded statement there. =/

At any rate, let's just look at it from a business viewpoint. Game Freak is a business. Are the games selling? Yes, still breaking records in fact, and in the millions. Is there interest in X&Y? Yes, certainly, look no further than social media feedback. Do Game Freak people still like money? I'll guess yes. Ergo, still making money, still want money, Pokemon will still keep going.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    While I do not think this is the last generation - nor do I think they will ever intend there to be a "last generation". If Pokemon ends, it'll be because it stops selling. They're not going to choose to end it.

However, one thing that I do think will stop happening in a few generations is that they'll stop releasing new Pokemon with new generations. They'll make new regions, new regional dexes, to bring together Pokemon that have never been available together, new moves, new abilities, etc... But they simply won't introduce any more new Pokemon.

This'll probably happen gradually. Like, maybe Gen VII only introduces ~50 Pokemon, Gen VIII introduces ~30, and IX introduces none?

Let me emphasize - I do not think this because I believe they are running out of ideas. It is very obvious that they're not, and, even if they were, they could simply hire new people to make new ideas. I think this because, honestly, we have so many Pokemon already, that within a couple more generations of evolutions and new lines, there's not going to be any radically new roles to fill.

There simply won't be a need for any new Pokemon, because any potential role will be filled by an existing Pokemon that already fills it better.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
  • Pokemon is extremely popular and makes tons of money so they aren't going to stop any time soon. Plus, why revamp the whole layout of the game and then just end it there? It doesn't make sense.

I also don't think they are running out of ideas. I think the designs in this generation so far are better and more creative than Gen 5.

Years
  • Pretty late in discussing this topic which I want to say that this would not be the last region. The next could be of British design you never know. The franchise is getting popular and popular every time they launch a new game. I doubt that Kalos is the last region...

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    This question comes up every generation.

I can't see it ending any time soon, the series is still so successful and I don't believe they're running out of ideas.

Each real life country they base the region on brings it's own wildlife and folklore to the pokemon series, so there will be a lot to work with for a long time.

I also don't think they'll stop making new pokemon, but rather start making it easier to obtain them and fill the pokedex. Like how they're making it so you don't need to see a pokemon to be able to request it on the GTS. New pokemon are the lifeblood of any new generation and I don't see that changing. When the new pokemon stop coming the games will stop coming.

Last edited:

.:batto:.

Pokébreeder
    Years
  • this is a horribly stupid speculation. the pokemon franchise is worth millions of dollars. why would they stop making there games?
    when pokemon goes broke. thats when we will see the end.

Years
  • yea this wont be the last gen. especially remember that pokemon is Nintendo's best handheld franchise, and in everyones saying this is gonna be the last home console generation, Nintendo wouldn't LET gamefreak end the single francise that will convince the masses to buy whatever tablet/phone/3ds.2 Nintendo puts out in ten years. it could make or break Nintendo.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • This is mentioned every generation since at least the third one. I don't think this is the last generation at all. Pokemon is one of Nintendo's biggest money makers so as long as they' re still making enough sales, they will still be making new games. Fans have been wanting a 3D Pokemon game for years and the fact this is the first main series ones that's a high selling point for the games and so I don't see X and Y suffering from poor sales at all.

And also, I don't think they'll ever just "stop introducing new Pokemon". New Pokemon is one of the big selling points of the franchise and I'm sure alot of people here get excited when new Pokemon are shown. If they didn't add at least a few new Pokemon every generation, then the games wouldn't be as interesting. Why keep playing with the same old toys when you can have news ones as well? Using the same Pokemon over and over gets boring and new ones mix things up a bit.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Highly doubt this is the last generation. Do you honestly think they are only going to make games based in France and New York when there are multiple large areas that are popular with pokemon that they are just going to leave out? I doubt it. As themes go, there are still a ton of themes they can use. You got to think outside the box.

Also, I will say that the max number of pokemon they make will be 1000 to 1500. There are still a ton of possible types of pokemon they have yet to make. I am actually hoping for 2 more bear types.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I think the answer is simple. Whenever the Pokémon game franchise stops making money, the games will end.

Is gen 6 the final generation? If you don't buy it, It will be.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • And to add to what I said earlier. They could make Sun/Moon Version and make it take place in Denmark, Norway, and Sweden and base the game of Skoll and Hati the two Legendary Wolves of Norse Mythology.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Nah, considering Gen 2 was suppose to be the end but all the success of the franchise pushed it forward for another generation, and that previous one pushed it for another, and another, and finally another. So as others have said before Pokémon will have to drop to the point in which there's no profit or they start to lose money. Considering the Hype for this generation (XY and beyond cough remakes), I don't think it'll end with this :).

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2021
    If X/Y was the last generation I would cry lol. These games have had a giant impact on me as a kid when I had Emerald, and now whenever I get a Pokemon game I just get a giant feeling of nostalgia. It's great.

Years
  • Guys when people first heard of gen 1 people in japan thought it would never last one gen in america then gen 2 was supposed to end it entirely and then the hoenn region almost killed the franchise due to gba to gb problems so they redid gen 1 so no if kalos sucks be prepared for either kanto or hoenn people

Back