• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you type properly?

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
  • I've never taken typing classes, but I still kind of just... type. And quickly, too.

Also typing is for losers, I just sit there swiping words on my phone.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • No. XD I type with my two index fingers. I've been told I type really fast with them. I've tried to learn to type the normal way, but it was so much harder for me. D: So, I just type the easiest way possible.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I don't really take notice of how I type. I've been typing since primary school, so I'm a pretty fast typer, if I may not follow the 'proper' way. I just type in a way that's most comfortable for me. Speed isn't really a factor.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I don't believe I've ever used that method, sorry to say. I lay my fingers wherever they happen to be, and let things go on from there. My typing speed is quite fast, so results are always same regardless. Well, maybe unless I'm feeling tired, haha. Was taught to type in school when I was a kid, but never payed much attention to the lessons.

SparklingMistral

The #1 Remus Lupin fanatic!
    Years
  • Nope. I never learned the "proper" way to type until my senior year of high school (or maybe I learned it sooner, I dunno), so I always just typed the way I taught myself. I had to use the "proper" way when I was in my Keyboarding class in high school (because woo easy As in senior year), and it was so hard ugh. I eventually ended up giving up on using it once we started getting to longer words because it was a lot easier and a lot more efficient that way. The way I type is just fine, and I see no need to change it.

Years
  • I can't say as I use the "proper" home row method for typing, but it's probably pretty close. I'll end up using my main three fingers on each hand to do the majority of the typing, with my left pinky permanently on the A key, and my right pinky on the shift key.

Of course, now that I'm thinking about typing while actually typing it seems like I'm messing up every third or fourth word, and I'm actually having to look at my keyboard rather than touch typing like normal :p

Years
  • I type using two - three fingers so nope. xD;;;; Never did get into the style of typing taught to us in schools. I type faster than almost everyone I know anyway with a WPM count of 90-110 so it doesn't bother me and no one's ever commented on it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Yes, that was the way I learned it in elementary school, we had some typing game/program installed on all the computers and had to practice every week, so it's stuck with me. Probably not 100%, but it's fairly close. My fingers rest on home row, but I don't think I use punctuation or number keys properly.

Years
  • Yes, that was the way I learned it in elementary school, we had some typing game/program installed on all the computers and had to practice every week, so it's stuck with me. Probably not 100%, but it's fairly close. My fingers rest on home row, but I don't think I use punctuation or number keys properly.
    At least you learned to type in elementary school haha - at my elementary school, we had mandatory computer lab class once a week (don't get me wrong, the class was fun) from when I was a kindergartner all the way through 4th grade, and not once could I recall being taught to type properly

Hitsushiro

someone
    Years
  • To some extent I do follow that strategy. But when I pay attention I realise I do use my left hand a bit more when typing though. It seems to move along the keyboard a lot more. This is despite me being right handed.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    At least you learned to type in elementary school haha - at my elementary school, we had mandatory computer lab class once a week (don't get me wrong, the class was fun) from when I was a kindergartner all the way through 4th grade, and not once could I recall being taught to type properly

Kind of the reverse of our school then, we were taught to type but I don't remember being taught to do anything else on the computer until like grade 7. :P Then we were suddenly learning how to use Photoshop and basic HTML/CSS.

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I don't. I kind of type that way but I tend to "break rules." So like, my hands are positioned the proper way but I find that my hands move all over the keyboard instead of standing still. For example, your pinkie finger is technically supposed to be in charge of hitting the top right keys but instead it's my middle finger.

It's hard to explain, really. But I do type pretty fast with minimal mistakes.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2023
    I'm in the process of teaching myself the proper way of typing after using just my index fingers to type for my entire experience of using computers since age 6. Long, somewhat frustrating, and it's incredibly slow compared to what I'm used to, but I feel like I'll get the hang of it eventually and then I'll be faster than ever.

Honestly the only problem I've had with the 'proper' method is hitting the b and . keys. Something about their placement makes them really awkward to hit for some reason. : T

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • Tried it before, and it doesn't work for me. Like most things, "proper ways" never stick in my head, this includes typing, writing or even holding a broom.

As long as I type at a resonable speed, not detrimental so that my hands don't feel any discomfort, and it produces results, I don't see anything wrong with it, no?

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2014
    I generally do type properly. We had typing software back in elementary school, and I just sort of stuck with it. Now I can type pretty fast!

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I learned how to type properly in middle school, then again during senior year in high school. During senior year, I was able to type up to 50-60 WPM, and in order to pass the final exam, you have to type up to 45 wpm. xD

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • I've learnt the proper way to type through a computer game (lol).

I never used it though, but maybe I somewhat use it? The fingers just flow naturally through my keyboard. But I've always noticed that no matter how fast I type... I never use any of my two pinkies...

...Well, unless if it's for the Shift button, then my right pinky does the work.

Back