• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Do You use the Pledge moves?

What starters did you put the Elemental Pledge moves on?

• Gen 1 Starters

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen 2 Starters

• Gen 3 Starters

• Gen 4 Starters

• Gen 6 Starters

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Who uses the Pledge moves? I didn't have gens 4 or 5 so they are totally new to me this gen, and it looks like they used to only have a strength of 50 while now they have a strength of 80 so they are at least a decent strength now. However, since only the starters can use them you're limited in your choices. (I would have LOVED these moves on the Elemental Monkies as I have them trained as a trio anyway and the pledges would have fit in perfectly with that theme) so my second choice was to put them on the gen 5 starters (Emboar, Serperior and Samurott) since that was the only trio where all 3 are good special attackers. (The other starter trios all seem to have at least 1 physically oriented attacker with the exception of the Gen 1 starters, but since they mega evolve and at least 1 of them (Blastoise) I may need to make a moveset based around it's mega evolution because of it's ability so I opted not to put the pledges on them)

SO, for the people that did end up putting the pledges on their pokemon, how did you decide which pokemon to put the moves on? Did you keep them altogether in the same gen, did you mix them up between the gens, what did you decide to do and why?

Years
  • I never use the pledge moves, even with the power increase they got in 6th Gen. It's likely because by the time my starter can learn them there's usually a better option of the same type.

IceyGamer

Nothing but Ice in my veins
    Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2014
    Serebii always talked about if you used them at the same time they make the battlefield change to different types of areas, a Rainbow appears if you mix Water/Grass pledge (I think) and other cool little things.

Years
  • Well, one good advantage for the pledge moves is that they're obtained a decent way enough into the game, and unlike Surf I wouldn't be stuck with them if I were to give them to, say, Greninja or Blastoise. I never used them to that combination where it would become a more powerful attack if used in a double battle, but they are early enough to be a convenience until Flamethrower or such is obtained.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I believe I've used them a couple of times before, but that was a long time ago. They're not so bad, but are definitely something that could still be improved on.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I never used the Pledges at all. By the time I got to Laverre, the Pokemon who could learn the Pledges at that time (Greninja in X, Delphox in Y) had better primary STABs to use (Surf and Flamethrower respectively).

Years
  • I actually have a pledge double battle team, leads are Samurott and Serperior. It is really fun and counters a surprising amount of pokemon. But unless I was using for competitive battling I would have never touched the move to be honest. I really like the concept though! :P

La Espada

Captain Ressentiment
    Years
  • I have them on a Sceptile, Delphox and Samurott. I use them when I'm XP/Money grinding at the restaurant (I think Le Wow) in Lumiose City.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • I've never used them before, either. I've never even had any of my pokemon learn them, and I've played every gen so far.

Years
  • I've yet to use them as there are so many better options. In fact I even.. forgot what these moves were, almost assumed they were Arceus' moves for whatever reason. I'll keep my Leaf Blade, Flamethrower, Surf, and etc, especially since I hardly go into double or triple battles.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    wtf is a pledge move tho seriously

They are moves taught by a move tutor that can only be learned by the starters. Pairs of the moves can combine to do an increased attack (going from 80 each move to a combined 160) and have additional party effects for a limited number of turns:

Grass Pledge + Fire Pledge = opponent team loses 1/8 of their HP for 4 turns
    Grass Pledge + Water Pledge = Halves opponent team's speed for 4 turns
    Water Pledge + Fire Pledge = Doubles chance of moves of your team having a secondary effect

Back