• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you value nicknames?

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
  • i dont care much for nicknames. I keep them the name they have, or if their names suck, then i just put the name of them in another language.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • I generally do nickname my Pokemon, I prefer that more personal touch it adds to my game. Sometimes they relate to the species/type e.g. "Marsha" the female Feraligatr (I thought I was clever) or other times they 're just completely random, e.g. "Mabs" the female Clefable. o_o

Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    Um, I have a Ryperor called Horny girl, she has horns and she is a girl so therefore is she a horny girl =p. I used to name my Poemon after the girls I had a crush on =p

Ronin

Lazlo Woodbine’s apprentice
    Years
  • I always like nicknaming Pokémon but I always struggle to think of a name I find good enough... gone are the days when I got Pokémon blue and thought naming Bulbasaur "Bulba" was genius :P These days I generally decide whether I'm going to nickname the 6 Pokémon in my team or not, usually not as I quite often take more than half an hour to name each one as I look through Old English (Ænglisc) words and sometimes Gaelic (Gàidhlig) words as well to find them a good name that also contains some meaning or relevance.

The Red Chain

I think it gives Pokemon a certain level of individuality and yes it does make me feel more "close" to my Pokemon as I play through. I know Pokemon are just data, and that it's silly to feel attached to them.. but I grew up watching the Pokemon anime before playing the games, so that closeness kinda spawned because of the anime. xD;

Anyway! I love nicknames, I'll always nickname my Pokemon, and I love my Pokemon's pixels to pieces. :3

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    Depending on how good the nickname is towards the pokemon you gave it. Currently I only have 1 nicknamed pokemon and that is Bro (my slowbro). Yeah its bad but I like it

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • I did used to name them for obvious reasons like Torchic would be "Chick", then it'd evolve into Blaziken called "Chick" and I'd be online on Pokemon Battle Revolution using a Blaziken called "Chick". Fail-age, although highly amusing. The only good Pokemon name I had using this method I believe was Toto for Totodile, I love that name even when it evolved into Feraligatr.

Honestly, I did this all the time in the past but I stopped after a while and now won't carry on nicknaming Pokemon. I look back at some of the nicknames and think: "What the hell was I thinking nicknaming it that?"

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I try to give nicknames to everything I can, but I don't particularly value them. I feel kinda lazy if I don't.

Kitrigar

Butt Puncher
    Years
  • Not really nicknames, but just decapitalizing the letters.
    I usually only nickname when I feel like keeping it in my in-game team.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I don't nickname my Pokemon, unless maybe I'm really into a certain anime / manga series at the time that I start up my file. For example, my Diamond team all had nicknames from Code Geass. o_O Most of the time, I really don't name them, though. I doubt I'll be giving nicknames to them in B&W.

KitKat13

i'm on the right track, baby
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Mar 17, 2012
    I actually don't know the reason why but, I really love to give 'em nicknames, they make me happy. :D

ゼクロム

こんにちは!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 27, 2011
    I like to give my Pokemon the most random names. I kinda do value nicknames.

TrilbyMenetti

HeartGold trainer
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Mar 3, 2011
    I've been nicknaming Pokemon since the Fourth Generation. Two of my favourite Pokemon are Tarzan the Primeape and Hardboiled the Togekiss, so yeah.

Makes them more unique in a way.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • I never give my pokemon nicknames. I think it gets confusing for yourself and others when you say "Miranda leveled up and evolved, oh and it learnt rollout", whereas it having no nickname would be easier. For me at least.

Back