• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you want BW remakes?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Blackk and White 2 are the remakes for me. To me they were sold like remakes.

Those weren't remakes. They were sequels. A remake would be a different, updated version of the same game on a completely different, updated system. For example, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are remakes of Diamond and Pearl because they're the same games remade on on the Nintendo Switch.

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2023
    Well to my understanding, a remake is the same game but updated with more content game-play and story etc. That's what B&W 2 were to me. To me a Sequel isn't a whole other game it's an end to a story a DLC if you will. hence why I call B&W 2 remakes.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Well to my understanding, a remake is the same game but updated with more content game-play and story etc. That's what B&W 2 were to me. To me a Sequel isn't a whole other game it's an end to a story a DLC if you will. hence why I call B&W 2 remakes.

The meaning of a sequel is a "published, broadcast, or recorded work that continues the story or develops the theme of an earlier one." Black and White 2 continued the story of Black and White. Therefore, it's a sequel. The game simply took place in the same area with added locations. A remake is something that has simply been redone and re-released. If a remake does have more added content, then it's simply bonus content. Black 2 and White 2 doesn't count as "bonus content." It's literally a continuation of the previous games' storylines with new locations and Pokémon.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    Those weren't remakes. They were sequels. A remake would be a different, updated version of the same game on a completely different, updated system. For example, Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl are remakes of Diamond and Pearl because they're the same games remade on on the Nintendo Switch.
    i think we would be better off getting sequels, not for BW since we already have BW2, but something like XY2 or Z would be better than a remake for gen 6, same would have been good for gen 4.
    my thoughts on BDSP are pretty much the same sames as other people here, they just dont make sense at all.
    theres no new mechanics.
    no new places.
    no new bosses.
    no pokemon from newer gens (not even sylveon, there is just no reason to not have included it)
    even in remakes like ORAS you had stuff like megas and you could catch some pokemons that werent in the original hoenn games. there is no difference in paying 60 bucks in BDSP than setting up an ds emulator to play the originals on the switch, i mean, it would probably be more polished than playing BDSP lol
    you know its bad when modders just made the game better, some already included newer pokemon, new forms, some even got a different artwork than the chibi ones we got lol
    even though they probably will make them anyways, there is no point from remakes anymore if they are not changing anything from the original games.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • i think we would be better off getting sequels, not for BW since we already have BW2, but something like XY2 or Z would be better than a remake for gen 6, same would have been good for gen 4.
    my thoughts on BDSP are pretty much the same sames as other people here, they just dont make sense at all.
    theres no new mechanics.
    no new places.
    no new bosses.
    no pokemon from newer gens (not even sylveon, there is just no reason to not have included it)
    even in remakes like ORAS you had stuff like megas and you could catch some pokemons that werent in the original hoenn games. there is no difference in paying 60 bucks in BDSP than setting up an ds emulator to play the originals on the switch, i mean, it would probably be more polished than playing BDSP lol
    you know its bad when modders just made the game better, some already included newer pokemon, new forms, some even got a different artwork than the chibi ones we got lol
    even though they probably will make them anyways, there is no point from remakes anymore if they are not changing anything from the original games.

I honestly wouldn't mind a sequel on a different system such as the Nintendo Switch when I think about it. A game like Pokémon Black 3 White 3 would be awesome in fact. That's not a bad idea at all. I agree. Maybe Game Freak should start doing that instead of just making plain remakes. It gives us the opportunity to explore other regions again as they progress, along with an entirely different story. I love the way you think!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I've already replied to this thread, and although I've yet to finish PLA (probably less than 1/3 through the story, actually) I kinda want Legends: Kyurem. The existence of the DNA Splicers kinda rubbishes the idea in BW that the original dragon voluntarily split itself in two...but I think that is a time period far enough away that Poké Balls didn't exist. If it were contemporanous with PLA we're talking late 19th century I believe, so Castelia City would have some early high-rises, but no SkyArrow Bridge. Perhaps Victini is a key plot point given its Pokédex entry from the original states that it always wins (and I think some dialogue in BW Liberty Pass event suggests it was locked away because of its power?). Would make a great change from the boss battles being the huge legendaries.

Also with the original BW Pokédex (plus Kyurem's formes) they'd have no excuse to skimp on custom animations etc. perhaps there could even be a zoo featuring Hisuian formes, making it a sequel? You could have the PokéBritish excavating and "preserving" relics from the recently-(re)discovered Abyssal Ruins too. If abilities were to make a return I would have it that in a nod to Dream World, all Pokémon have their Hidden Abilities, suggesting that environmental factors caused these to become less common in the present. Also...in place of the future Battle Subway you could have Steam Trains! Pokémon battles on the roof of them, just like in Westerns!!

Alternatively, I was thinking yesterday that a more straight-up remake of BW could have a Go tie-in in the form of Shadow Pokémon. Have all the Plasma Grunts use them to make it more obvious that they're evil (and also make the mighty Patrat well, actually mighty) but N's would be normal. Return / Frustration would definitely need to make a comeback. Contrary to BDSP arguably - with the exception of the missing Pokédex entries - improving on Platinum by making a greater diversity of Pokémon available with the Grand Underground, I would really want to retain the focus on the Unova 156. There was a lot more diversity than in Kanto as even if it seems unnecessarily restrictive before the first gym due to the whole gimmick with the monkeys, after that your available types really start to open up (well, except Fairy as Whimsicott is the only one). I wouldn't want limits on your ability to bring in other Pokémon from HOME though. The one thing that would ruin it all though, is if Dream World were made to be a separate game / app requiring a subscription.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2023
    I honestly wouldn't mind a sequel on a different system such as the Nintendo Switch when I think about it. A game like Pokémon Black 3 White 3 would be awesome in fact. That's not a bad idea at all. I agree. Maybe Game Freak should start doing that instead of just making plain remakes. It gives us the opportunity to explore other regions again as they progress, along with an entirely different story. I love the way you think!

a game on the same region but with an different story would be an awesome way to explore some regions better!

Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2023
    There are more points to a sequel like BW2 then a remake at this point. For more content some new factor. A remake is fine and all but if you didn't play the original, then it's not really Nostalgia. If you did well there might be a little wow factor on updated UI for instance but not much of the 'New' factor.

Figment

Professional Falinks Enjoyer.
    Years
  • In a post PLA world, I feel even a remake that is on par with HGSS or ORAS would feel totally lame. Like, which would you rather want.

"BW1 with some new bells and whistles, and maybe some BW2 content if your lucky."
    or
    "A big new adventure amongst the ancient castles and peoples of the Unova of old, with reigonal forms and cross gen evos gallore."

The bar for reigon revisits have been PERMANENTLY raised. The ideal Unova revisit would be probably a port of BW1 and BW2 to the Switch eShop, alongside a BW3 or Legends Unova.

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I really don't want a remake of Gen 5 because I'm afraid of how hard they'd drop that ball, but a Legends game set in Unova? A man can dream.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    I barely wanted remakes in the first place. HG/SS I liked because GSC were impossible to connect with newer games. As someone who played gen 3 the most out of any gen, I think ORAS got way too similar to the originals. Aesthetics and Latios/as aside, the games felt identical to me. BDSP were somehow even more identical to their originals than ORAS, something I didn't know was possible.

As for gen 5, I don't really play it anymore. Maybe I would play a remake, but I don't really want one. I don't see the need for them, and I didn't past HGSS. No reason not to just put the original GBA/DS games on the virtual consoles, rather than making entirely new games.

Last edited:

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • If they put the effort into them that they did in remakes from Gen VI and prior, fine. However, if BD/SP is the treatment they're going to give remakes from now on, I'd rather them not.

Years
  • After what happened with Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl I can confidentially say I don't want B/W remakes unless they're not from ILCA...We've reached a point in Pokemon's life I don't feel remakes are really necessary anymore. But, it's going to happen anyway at some point, I suppose.

Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl are fantastic games I love them and it was wonderful to return to Sinnoh again the nostalgia of playing Diamond, Pearl & Platinum came flooding back I enjoyed these games far more than Legends Arceus and once the updates came for Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl the games got so much better.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2023
    Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl are fantastic games I love them and it was wonderful to return to Sinnoh again the nostalgia of playing Diamond, Pearl & Platinum came flooding back I enjoyed these games far more than Legends Arceus and once the updates came for Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl the games got so much better.

I only liked them more than Legends because I adore the originals, but I agree that they're fantastic games. My original comment above may look like I'm criticising them, when I'm really not. They are identical to the originals, but they're great.

Edit: I know your comment didn't adress mine, I just felt like updating my view here.

Years
  • I'd love to see Black and White remakes, but to be honest, and to reiterate the sentiments of other posters on this page, if they're going to be like Shining Pearl and Brilliant Diamond, then I'd rather do without. I'd take a Let's Go! Black and White in the same style as Pikachu and Eevee, if we can't have ORAS-style remakes.

Years
  • I only liked them more than Legends because I adore the originals, but I agree that they're fantastic games. My original comment above may look like I'm criticising them, when I'm really not. They are identical to the originals, but they're great.

Edit: I know your comment didn't adress mine, I just felt like updating my view here.

That's fine no worries glad to hear you think they are fantastic games

Back