• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Do you want BW remakes?

Years
  • BW is generally a well-regarded set of games for players in the fandom, praising it for its sleek pixel art style as well as good story and characters, among other things. With BDSP recently having released, it is also next in line for a remake - assuming they continue to follow the order they have been until now.

Do you want to see a BW remake? Or do you think the games are perfect as they are? If you want to see it remade, do you have any hopes for how you'd want the remake to look/feel?

Years
  • Idc at all because gen 4 is my fav and after BDSP, I really lose interest for the concept of "remakes". I think that we'll obviously get gen 5 remakes, just like every generation. What catches my interest is mainly how these remakes are going to be. LGPE kinda changed the concept of "remake", giving it more a sense of reboot. LGPE indeed is a special case in pokemon history but BDSP are as well, if you consider the older remakes. However, this is just to speculate on what could possibly happen with gen 5 remakes. Imo we'll either get a remake like BDSP + a new Legends game (like gen 4, basically), or there might me a new change (a proper reboot, an old style remake, whatever), but I highly doubt that. I feel like the formula "faithful remake + Legends" is really good and kinda makes everyone happy: nostalgic people who want to live again their original adventure, people who never played the original game (if u haven't played original D/P, i highly recommend you to tho) and also people seeking something new in the story.
    As to gen 5, I know many people are now super fans of gen 5 and it's indeed one of my fav generations as well. I was more interested in gen 4 remakes because it's my fav generation and I was really worried they could mess up (they kinda did with BDSP imo), so I m not really hyped for gen 5 remakes. I am more interested in knowing about what a Legends game could narrate about gen 5.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I would like to see Gen 5 remakes, though I have to wonder how they'd do it because of how Gen 5 is split between Black/White and their sequels. In all the other generations the 3rd version is very similar to the originals, so it's easy enough to make the game and not worry about having to include or not include any of the differences, it works out either way. But with Gen 5 that's not the case.

Or are they actually gonna make separate remakes for both BW and B2W2, and not skip the latter?

I think that the most likely scenario is that we'll get BDSP-style "remakes" for BW and that's probably going to be how most remakes are gonna be going forward, though that's not my preferred route. I would like to see a Unova-based Legends game though regardless of what happens, I've wanted to see the complete Tao Dragon for a long time and that would probably be the best chance to see it.

Years
    • Seen today
    Nah, no interest in BW remakes at all. Especially because according to their tradition, they would make it based on BW instead of BW2.

First remakes were more meaningful because they added key features not present in the originals, Steel/Dark types and fixed Gen 1 type chart, Abilities, P/S split, etc so the gameplay quality jump was much bigger. But Gen 4-5 are already the peak of the sprite era gameplay. A Gen 5 remake would be basically just for adding the Fairy type and the updated type chart with less broken Steel type... and 3D graphics and that's it.

Remakes are just getting less necessary and more disappointing as we advance through gens. BDSP are already underwhelming in some aspects and, according to some players, inferior to Platinum.

Years
  • Not particularly. Gen 5 never really did anything for me one way or another tbh. Too much of the PokeDex felt like filler to me.
    I'm pretty sure a gen 5 remake will come out sooner or later though.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Eh. I'd like alola/swosh styled remakes, not identical rehashes like BDSP.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    A Fairy type
    Fixed it, there's only Cottonee / Whimsicott!

I haven't bought a new game since my pre-owned copy of Black 2, and I doubt I will any time soon. But if there were remakes...I'd want Black/White story remakes, but with the map of the sequels, minus a couple of things - Victory Road would be the original one, as it wouldn't make sense to have built all those tunnels through N's Castle, and one of Pokéstar Studios or Pokémon Musical could go...they seemed redundant. PWT could have every gym leader from Gen I-VIII, instead of being event-only Keldeo could be caught at Pledge Grove, but then taught Secret Sword back at Moor of Iccirus (I think it sucks when event-only legends are needed to complete groupings, like how you can't get Darkrai but can have Cresselia in DPPt). The Looker quest with the sages could actually end with you putting an end to Ghetsis' Plasma reboot before it starts, fighting him again on Plasma Frigate. Or helping Rood return lost Pokémon, including a young Hugh's Purrloin, rather than just vanishing as appears to be the case in the sequels (also a pretty good reason to push the player to explore out to Aspertia City).

The B2W2 additional gym leaders could also appear, either just as really strong trainers (perhaps Cheren is available to battle post-game in the construction site of his new gym, rather than at Victory Road), or given Alola apparently doesn't even have gyms, Unova could have 10? (But Roxie and Marlon would be post-game).

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Fixed it, there's only Cottonee / Whimsicott!

Lol, yeah, didn't realize that the only Fairy type in the BW Dex would be the Cottonee line anyway :)

And I have no hopes for them expanding the Pokédex after what they did with BDSP. Got really sick of the Geodude, Gyarados, Machop, Onix/Steelix, etc. spam. Seriously a Pokédex of only 150-ish is just awfully lackluster these days.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I think Gen 5 is mostly fine. Getting them with updated speed (gen 5 still felt very slow) and QoL features would be nice, though. At the same time they wouldn't give us the charming 2D animations of the sprites and instead just go with the 3D ones. Maybe, if they remade the animation cycles of the models, they could make it more interesting in that regard?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Of course I want Pokémon Black and White remakes, as Pokémon Black and White are still the best games in the main series of Pokémon! Pokémon Black and White developers exerted extra effort into ensuring that the games had a great storyline, villain team, legendary Pokémon and the lore associated with them, an entire new cast of Pokémon, eye candy regarding the cities, towns, and overall environment, great music, a better competitive scene when battling friends, and so forth. If they do remake Pokémon Black and White, I would love for it to have graphics similar to Pokémon Sword and Shield to capture the urban life of Unova with great graphics, as opposed to what they did with Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl.

Lucifer

Fallen1
    Years
  • I believe the relevance of remakes lapsed after FRLG and HGSS, although the original DPPt might have had the most abundant and frustrating HM obstacles which I found to be a bit of a turn off in my recent attempt to replay them (I have not been able to get BDSP, between them and Legends Arceus, I chose to use the gift card I had on the new game rather than the remakes).

FRLG and HGSS' originals needed the update due to terrible obsolete graphics, tons of glitches, flawed AI and poor save batteries, ORAS' enhancements on the contest and secret bases systems and additions of the DexNav and Mega Evolution were just cool.

To be honest though, BW are favorites of mine, easily one of the best plots in the franchise so out of that biased I kinda wouldn't mind.

Years
  • Its really strange because when I think of the BW games, I feel like its only been like 3-4 years when really its been like 12. They don't even feel that old to me

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • As a matter of fact, I believe the generation 5 remakes are the ones that we should have gotten instead of Sinnoh, but I am perfectly fine with the Sinnoh remakes as well.

ShadowLugia111

Birb Obsessed
    Years
  • I don't think I'd want Gen 5 remakes, especially after the disaster of BDSP... but it's likely that it's going to happen.

Crazy to think those games are 11 years old now though. Like dang. o-o

virtualpet

The Anomaly's Mewtwo
    Years
  • I think if we were to revisit Unova I'd like a sequel rather than a remake, and I feel like a remake wouldn't live up to how fantastic the original games were given how so much of the visual appeal had to do with how they blended 2D and 3D and the mechanics themselves don't need a lot of updating. BW and BW2 also feel a lot more like a packaged deal than any other games because of one being a sequel of the other and that storyline would be lost if they just remade BW, but there could be a lot more potential with if they just continued the story especially given Ingo's appearance in PLA and the lingering mystery of what happened to Hilbert/Hilda.

I'd actually be a little more excited for a potential XY remake because those games were done so wrongly and really needed a third game. XY seemed more incomplete and lackluster to me and could have been so much more enjoyable with some polishing and expansions to the story that (as long as they don't go for making it "faithful" like DPPT) a remake might be beneficial to it.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • After what happened with Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl I can confidentially say I don't want B/W remakes unless they're not from ILCA...We've reached a point in Pokemon's life I don't feel remakes are really necessary anymore. But, it's going to happen anyway at some point, I suppose.

Back