• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone actually program their games?

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
Years
  • Why would anyone spend lots of time using C++ when you're just making a fangame. You can't sell the game, you technically don't own the game, or anything like that.

It just makes more sense to use a RPGmaker.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • Why would anyone spend lots of time using C++ when you're just making a fangame. You can't sell the game, you technically don't own the game, or anything like that.

It just makes more sense to use a RPGmaker.

Because the only real reason to make a fangame is to develop skills. If one of those skills is programming, using a more complex language makes sense (of course, C++ is probably a little too complex for someone just starting out). If you're making a fan game to be popular, you're doing it for the wrong reason.

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Because the only real reason to make a fangame is to develop skills. If one of those skills is programming, using a more complex language makes sense (of course, C++ is probably a little too complex for someone just starting out). If you're making a fan game to be popular, you're doing it for the wrong reason.

You are mistaken. There are many reasons to develop a fan game, it isn't only to develop skills. Many people here have absolutely no interest in developing games as a career, and are doing this for the enjoyment they get from creating their own game.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • You are mistaken. There are many reasons to develop a fan game, it isn't only to develop skills. Many people here have absolutely no interest in developing games as a career, and are doing this for the enjoyment they get from creating their own game.

Surely if you enjoy it then you're going to want to develop whichever skill it is that you enjoy using. Making progressively better games should make the enjoyment increase as well.

And I wasn't being specific to developing games. Someone who wants to get into composing could simply use a game they like as a base for showing off that talent.

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
    Years
  • "I see all this mention of games created using RPG Maker or Game Maker, but not so many games created with a real programming language like C++ or Java."

*cough* I'm not sure why this thread is even here - RPG Maker uses a real language. Nothing in the first post makes sense because it's really, really easy to incorperate C++ into RPG Maker. I agree most people simply use poccil's starter kit and edit everything except for the programming, however, I have been heavily reprogramming my game from poccil's kit. Any one of the game developers here is capable of using C++ in their games, but not too many of them actually do a lot of programming in their games.

C++ is not a hard language, it's actually similar to Ruby. The core differences (among some other minor differences) are stuff like having to define everything as something (ie I can't put "a = 1;", I have to put "int a = 1;") which I find really silly since it should be able to tell the difference between numbers, bools, hwnds, and the like because most other programming languages can. Another difference I saw was needing to place a semicolon after every line, which is also tedious. I was able to jump from RPG Maker to C++ after about a week, creating a 3D sound engine for my game pretty easily. I don't mean this message to flame you, but there are many strong arguments against what you're saying. RPG Maker is a great engine that is highly expandable.

I agree C++ is a great engine, but RPG Maker is just as customizable because it can include C++ in it, and more as well.

~ CP

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    "I see all this mention of games created using RPG Maker or Game Maker, but not so many games created with a real programming language like C++ or Java."

*cough* I'm not sure why this thread is even here - RPG Maker uses a real language. Nothing in the first post makes sense because it's really, really easy to incorperate C++ into RPG Maker. I agree most people simply use poccil's starter kit and edit everything except for the programming, however, I have been heavily reprogramming my game from poccil's kit. Any one of the game developers here is capable of using C++ in their games, but not too many of them actually do a lot of programming in their games.

C++ is not a hard language, it's actually similar to Ruby. The core differences (among some other minor differences) are stuff like having to define everything as something (ie I can't put "a = 1;", I have to put "int a = 1;") which I find really silly since it should be able to tell the difference between numbers, bools, hwnds, and the like because most other programming languages can. Another difference I saw was needing to place a semicolon after every line, which is also tedious. I was able to jump from RPG Maker to C++ after about a week, creating a 3D sound engine for my game pretty easily. I don't mean this message to flame you, but there are many strong arguments against what you're saying. RPG Maker is a great engine that is highly expandable.

I agree C++ is a great engine, but RPG Maker is just as customizable because it can include C++ in it, and more as well.

~ CP
    I disagree with C++ being "simple". Its far from it, on the surface, it may look pretty simple, like how you put it, but thats just scratching the surface. There are college classes based on C++ and the various paradigms, methodology, idioms and ect. Now I would not compare Ruby, Python, LUA, or any other scripting languages with C++, they are just so different. Yes, C++ can use Ruby, Python, LUA and ect and also Assembly and other low level "hacking".

I just have to disagree with you, you do have a point, but a point that is irrelevent IMHO. Hell the RPG Maker was probably programmed in C++

Spira

Programmer for Pokemon Eternity
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    The reason there is little games being developed is because it takes forever to create something viable. You could be coding your engine and everything else for weeks or months and not even have anything visible to show for it; all under the hood. All of the time spent creating the engine and developing the game itself, would have otherwise been spent on content creation. It's simply faster to use what's already there.

However, for the advanced users, they usually prefer to code their own because they want to have complete control over their game. I am currently coding the client and server of my game in Python at the moment.

CollosalPokemon

What's next?
    Years
  • I disagree with C++ being "simple". Its far from it, on the surface, it may look pretty simple, like how you put it, but thats just scratching the surface. There are college classes based on C++ and the various paradigms, methodology, idioms and ect. Now I would not compare Ruby, Python, LUA, or any other scripting languages with C++, they are just so different. Yes, C++ can use Ruby, Python, LUA and ect and also Assembly and other low level "hacking".

I just have to disagree with you, you do have a point, but a point that is irrelevent IMHO. Hell the RPG Maker was probably programmed in C++

I see I should've been a bit more specific now. I meant that C++ was easier than usual to learn because I had previous programming experience. C++ is a hard language, pardon me, but actually if you look at even the most complicated C++ script it'll definitely use stuff like loop(a,b){insert-script-here} which is available in Ruby. I understand your point, I really only scratched the surface in my statements, but I see a lot of similarities to other programming languages. I know C++ is an amazing language, which is why most official games, such as games for the Nintendo DS, and likely the 3DS (or possibly C#), but my point was that RPG Maker uses a real programming language, and can also use C++.

Think what you want, no one is stopping you and neither me. My point was not irrelevant, the OP said RPG Maker had no real language yet it does. Your probably right lol I'd think RPG Maker was probably programmed in C++ too. I'm not trying to bash C++ usage, but Dragonite Ernston wasn't quite correct.

~ CP

davidthefat

I Love C++
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2012
    I see I should've been a bit more specific now. I meant that C++ was easier than usual to learn because I had previous programming experience. C++ is a hard language, pardon me, but actually if you look at even the most complicated C++ script it'll definitely use stuff like loop(a,b){insert-script-here} which is available in Ruby. I understand your point, I really only scratched the surface in my statements, but I see a lot of similarities to other programming languages. I know C++ is an amazing language, which is why most official games, such as games for the Nintendo DS, and likely the 3DS (or possibly C#), but my point was that RPG Maker uses a real programming language, and can also use C++.

Think what you want, no one is stopping you and neither me. My point was not irrelevant, the OP said RPG Maker had no real language yet it does. Your probably right lol I'd think RPG Maker was probably programmed in C++ too. I'm not trying to bash C++ usage, but Dragonite Ernston wasn't quite correct.

~ CP
    I can assure you that Nintendo does NOT use C#; C# is owned by Microsoft. Well the similarities between C++ and a lot of languages is the fact that those languages are modelled around C++.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Ah, pardon me, I thought RPG Maker was like Game Maker in that it used a symbolic drag-and-drop language.

But still, the interface, I'd think, is much less flexible than C++, and bugs are often harder to fix even if they're easy to find, simply because it's not within the power of the software to fix them.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. There's a lot I don't know about RPG Maker because I can't be bothered to either shell out the money to buy it or to waste my time pirating it and learning a language I'm never going to use.

Yes, games that are programmed from scratch are allowed here. Just make sure that when you post your game, it meets these thread requirements.

I posted one in The Drawing Board, but either a moderator rejected it or it's still in the queue. It's the one titled "Four Star Mon". Did it not meet the requirements? Because I don't know how it wouldn't have.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2010
    I posted one in The Drawing Board, but either a moderator rejected it or it's still in the queue. It's the one titled "Four Star Mon". Did it not meet the requirements? Because I don't know how it wouldn't have.

I also submitted mine, programmed in Java, 2 days ago and still no answer.
    Asked a super moderator to accept my thread and he said he didn't know much about this section..

I ask how hard is it to read around 4 rules and check if a thread is breaking any of them...

I'll answer myself, pure laziness :t079:

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • I ask how hard is it to read around 4 rules and check if a thread is breaking any of them...

Oh look, someone bashing on the mods. How unusual. Anyway, the funniest part of it is that you probably messaged someone who wasn't a mod in Game Dev - oh right, a super mod. That's understandable I guess.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • I also submitted mine, programmed in Java, 2 days ago and still no answer.
    Asked a super moderator to accept my thread and he said he didn't know much about this section..

I ask how hard is it to read around 4 rules and check if a thread is breaking any of them...

You could've read on the first page that Yuoaman, The mod in Game dev is quite busy. Just be more patient, okay?

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016

Not very hard at all - I did read them, and to the best of my knowledge, it isn't breaking any.

And alright, elarmasecreta, thanks for telling me that... >_>

Maybe we should get some more staff in that section, if the existing staff are a little too busy?

Also, if our thread does get rejected, do we get notified that it was? Because I want to know what was wrong with mine, correct it, and hand it in again.

The reason there is little games being developed is because it takes forever to create something viable. You could be coding your engine and everything else for weeks or months and not even have anything visible to show for it; all under the hood. All of the time spent creating the engine and developing the game itself, would have otherwise been spent on content creation. It's simply faster to use what's already there.

Indeed. I've been working on and off on my project these past few months, and all I've got down is a really basic battle engine. >_>

However, for the advanced users, they usually prefer to code their own because they want to have complete control over their game. I am currently coding the client and server of my game in Python at the moment.

Yep, that's one of the reasons. Another is that I want there to be an open-source Pokémon game out there somewhere, which hasn't been done yet.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • I also submitted mine, programmed in Java, 2 days ago and still no answer.

Or maybe I had to finish a book and then write an online test on that book yesterday before going to bed early because I haven't gotten more than three hours of sleep a night for almost two weeks?

In any case your thread was just approved.

Not very hard at all - I did read them, and to the best of my knowledge, it isn't breaking any.

And alright, elarmasecreta, thanks for telling me that... >_>

Maybe we should get some more staff in that section, if the existing staff are a little too busy?

Also, if our thread does get rejected, do we get notified that it was? Because I want to know what was wrong with mine, correct it, and hand it in again.

Indeed. I've been working on and off on my project these past few months, and all I've got down is a really basic battle engine. >_>

Yep, that's one of the reasons. Another is that I want there to be an open-source Pokémon game out there somewhere, which hasn't been done yet.

A notice has been PMed to you, just add the missing information and re-post the thread.

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Or maybe I had to finish a book and then write an online test on that book yesterday before going to bed early because I haven't gotten more than three hours of sleep a night for almost two weeks?
    I think PokeNation2010 was talking about the super mod that he asked.

In any case, we're getting off-topic, and I'm about to be accused of minimodding.

I would probably have to create a scripting engine anyway if I were to make that engine, because some moves like Toxic and Low Kick require one, and I'm not about to hard-code it permanently.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    Well, if you're hard-coding the normal poison effect, why not the toxic poison effect too? There's not much point in having random bits of the battle engine done in scripts if the majority is done in straight C++...

I'm using C++ at the moment too, and I'm currently not planning on including any scripting system. Although a scripting system allows users to make more complex events, not using one gives me an incentive to improve the event/database system. Although a using a script for a menu system may be easier for me to implement, a GUI menu editor with drag and drop customisability is much easier to use for people who aren't as confident with programming, which means there will be more variety among games using the engine.

The engine is nowhere near finished at the moment, but though progress is slow, it's definitely proceeding. I'm working on the map/database editor first, rather than the actual game engine, so it won't be playable for a long time.

TBM_Christopher

Semi-pro Game Dev
    Years
  • Hello. Game dev is a career I wish to be in, hence the fact that I work with more general game dev software instead of stuff like RPG Maker. :P

Dragonite Ernston

I rival Lance's.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 15, 2016
    Well, if you're hard-coding the normal poison effect, why not the toxic poison effect too? There's not much point in having random bits of the battle engine done in scripts if the majority is done in straight C++...

For the time being, it will be hard coded, but eventually I want to delocalize stuff so that people can create their own custom statuses.

Also, I'm taking the exact opposite approach as you - I'm creating the battle engine first.

Back