• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Does anyone else just collect the cards and not play the TCG?

Crin

Life is all about choices
Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    Hey guys, I consider myself a huge fan of Pokemon. I own every game of the main series and an abundance of the spin off titles. I want to get into collecting the cards, but I really don't have an interest in playing the TCG, nor do I even know how to play.

Does anyone else just collect the cards, and not play the TCG?

Years
  • I just started getting back into collecting Pokemon cards, but I won't be playing either even though I know how to play. I might play ptcgo though.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I also started with collecting just this past month. I had been eyeing the Mythical collections and saying to myself, that's going to be something I want to get, the 11 mythical pins and cards, and the set that comes with them. I had to then add the Red and Blue collection to my shopping list. I'm extremely interested at this time in when all of the items release in Canada. I've never followed TCG before, so it's new to me. I also decided to get the Mega Diancie set just because I could.

I did also pick up the Mewtwo and Darkrai battle decks and the Mega Diancie pack. The decks have already been broken into their respective sets, and are not in deck format currently at all; all energy cards for both decks currently reside in one box with the portion of the XY and Flashfire booster sets (the first two) so far, and all BW booster cards are in a single sorted (by release) set and elastic-wrapped (as I do not expect or plan to build this collection), though I may pull the theme cards out if I ever build a deck. Phantom Forces is currently elastic-wrapped (two boosters packs from the Mega Diancie set) and includes a holo Diancie, ironically enough; meanwhile, Furious Fists is boxed with the Generations pack I have so far, as well as some other miscellaneous XY cards (the Mew and Diancie promo cards currently live in there). I've decided I can use the TCG itself to look up all of the individual cards and holos and thus be able to track not only the TCG numbers, but also the ones I own physically by knowing exactly what kind of card is possible for each number in the deck. I've since created a collector's sheet for the first six XY expansions (up to Primal Clash) and then skipping to Generations. When I get my next booster box (looking at Pikachu-EX or Hoopa-EX, maybe both for all the promo cards), I'll be doing a proper cataloguing of all booster cards to date.

So yeah, I only collect, but I'll eventually use the spreadsheet to help me trade in the online TCG and eventually expand that collection. Code cards will help this task, as well.

_Dud_

I can't C#
    Years
  • I've been collecting for quite a while now, and I've tried the TCGO many times but I can't get into it. Honestly, I find enough entertainment purely by just collecting. They keep it interesting by releasing a new set every 3 to 4 months too. It's worth collecting if you have money to spare.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I collect them every so often. It depends on whether the play packs have cards I want though. I've forgotten how to play, so I just haven't bothered to learn. I have no one to really play WITH, and I feel like it's a waste. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy collecting them still. XD

I haven't really collected any of them as of late though. Mostly because I don't know where to put them. They end up on the floor and get ruined instead. :c

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • At this point, I just collect the Full Art Trainer Cards because I think they look pretty damn nice, and really not much else. Just bought the Breakpoint Skyla card.

I've sold most of my old card collection off, even my beloved Shining Charizard, lol.

VanillaMiltank

GET SOME MILK
    Years
  • Yeah, I purely just collect the cards, I have no interest in playing the game. I find great pleasure in getting the boxes, tins, booster packets etc. and opening them, seeing if I've scored any full-arts or EX's! I also love organising them, no specific order or anything, normally by evolution stage, specials and promos at the front...I have quite a few albums filled. I started when I was about 7 years old, with the Base, Jungle, Fossil's etc.
    It's great fun, and totally therapeutic as well! I really enjoy collecting

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    That's where I am now. I mainly just collect the cards, since I don't have any idea how to play the game. The rules to play and even how to build a deck have all changed since the last time I went to a league. But I missed opening packs and seeing what I get, so I'm just back to collecting.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
    Years
  • Currently I'm just a collector as well. I'd like to learn how to play at some point though!

Crin

Life is all about choices
    Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2016
    Update: So I bought my first booster pack, and I'm in love!
    The art style is tremendous and I love the look of the cards. Count me in as a collector!
    ..... Now it's time to find a Politoed card!

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
    Years
  • I also like to buy the cards just to collect them, mainly my favorite Pokemon, they have such great looking artwork. The ones I don't like I usually send to others as fcbm

I do have an idea on how to play the tcg, been wanting to go to a prerelease one day, so far haven't.
    Once in a while I'll play the TCG online

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen today
    I originally bought the cards around Base Set, but I didn't really collect the full sets, I tried to learn to play but just couldn't understand how to play.

Then I stopped buying cards around 2003, in 2013 I discovered full arts existed on Youtube so that motivated me to actually buy the cards again and collect the sets. I don't really have any interest in playing the game or learning how to now.

I currently collect Dragons Exalted, Boundaries Crossed, Plasma Storm, Plasma Freeze, Plasma Blast, XY, Flashfire, Furious Fists, Phantom Forces, Primal Clash, Ancient Origins and Breakpoint.

I usually buy packs until I pull most of the ultras, so maybe 100-150 then I might buy a couple of the ultras if I want them. I do like pulling them more then just owning them so I'd never buy all the ultras from a set unless like Dark Explorers it was impossible to get and I only wanted 4 of the ultras.

Back