• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Does anyone else wish we got legendaries at lower levels?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Going through the list of event and giveaway legendary pokemon a lot seem to be released at lv 50, lv 70, there's even some released at level 100. I mean, what's the point of getting a lv 100 pokemon? It takes a lot of the fun out of it as far as I'm concerned. I remember when the Pokemon Colosseum disc was released and you got a Jirachi at LEVEL 5 and it was great! You could play through the game having it in your party and levelling it up and growing as you progressed through the game just like all the other pokemon and by having to battle and level it up I found myself growing rather fond of the little guy, much more than if I had been just given one at level 100. (like those shiny Palkia, Dialga and Giratina they handed out earlier this year? come on! boo to level 100s!) Does anyone else wish we got legendaries at lower levels so we could play with them more rather than just be handed a maximum levelled one that is already over levelled on a pokemon that is overpowered to begin with?

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2015
    YES! Oh my god! Yes! I trade away my legendaries because i'd like to use them and level them up. When they're level 50-100 it's no fun.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    By the time they give you the legends, you should have beaten the game, and they give you some for tournament play. They are just free gifts to collect and build up your Pokedex with. Not really supposed to be using them for anything else.

That being said I seriously don't care at what level they are given to me. I can Heart Scale them if I want to have them remember older moves that they already learned and they are pretty much useless unless you use them for competitive reasons. Legends make normal gameplay a little too easy so I never use them for the story, even if I'm supposed to catch them.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • I would prefer to never catch them at all. If legends were only around for story purposes, that would make them feel even more unique. The game developers would have a lot of cool design space by allowing the legends to contribute to the story and not be allowed for capture.

The legends could turn into NPCs (hiding in their forest or the like) that you can visit after unlocking them through the story. Maybe they test your party strength, or give you items for completing quests... so many options.

I do want a Suicune though :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    I don't know, I still very much liked the experience of having Jirachi with me from the beginning of the game, almost like having a legendary as a starter and I wish there were more legendary pokemon you could train up rather than just be handed at top level. Getting my hands on one of those level 15 Genesects would be a pretty good thing too.

Years
  • I don't mind using legendaries at all, especially if they can prove to be strong.. but I will say that Level 70 is a fine level to capture them at, especially if they aren't legendaries that just roam around.

Years
  • It's nice getting event pokemon at low levels. But as far as in game legendaries, I wish thy were higher leveled. By the time I'm at them, my party is always op'd.

mayuyu

Fairy Queen
    Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2014
    for the most part, I don't like to use legendaries in battle but if it's a legendary that you can catch while you still have a good amount of storyline left (like the legendary beasts in HGSS), then I'd prefer them lower-leveled because, hey, I might end up using them in my party like I did with Raikou in SS.

but besides that, legendaries that you can catch near the end of the storyline or after (like zygarde) aren't much use to me except for pokedex completion since I've already settled down with my main party by the time I've finished the main plot, so I could care less what level it's at.

Lindblum

you're not alone
    Years
  • I think I'd like that. It'd probably go against the idea of powerful legendaries roaming the region, but it'd be nice to have more of a chance to train them up how I want to. As a few have said though, by the time you get to the end/near-end game, you no longer have any real use for them so it's probably not much use if they were even lower leveled. I say depends on the time in the game in which you receive them.

Wazee Wynkoop

New Start!
    Years
  • For me, it depends on the legendary. I liked playing with Dialga and kept him in my party, but I didn't like Palkia and kept it in the PC.
    Nowadays, I'll train the game's main legendary alongside my main team of 6, just for kicks.

Levels don't mean much for me, though the higher levels make for a tougher challenge in catching them.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    I've always wanted to have a Latios/Latias to be my companion on a journey, but they wouldn't really be that legendary if they were level 5.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I like it, but I also don't like them at higher levels. For one, if I catch them at higher levels later in the game they are able to help me out tremendously to defeat the Elite Four. Xerneas was great help as I demolished the E4 in Pokemon X. On another hand, if we were given legendaries earlier on like at level 20 we could train them how we wanted and I would like to be able to use them longer in the story. Also, yes, I wish that we could breed legendaries!! That would open up the game so much more for wifi uber battles.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Yea, I agree. I liked getting my Giratina at level 1 in Pokemon HeartGold because I actually feel like I raised it. Plus all the event Pokemon I've received at level 5. In general, the higher a Pokemon's level when I catch it, the more likely it is to gather dust in my PC box =/

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I rarely use legends in-game, so it doesn't really matter to me what level they are at. As long as it's not too high or too low, I'm fine.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • I am for and against it.. Usually the Legendaries we get, we have already beaten the game.. so to get a level 1-10 legendary is pretty pointless.. And if gamefreak was to give us the legendaries right in the beginning of the game so we could use it on our adventure.. then we'd have no legendaries to look forward to in the post game or it would take away the "specialness" of looking forward to capturing the legendaries in the post game, which makes you strive and keep going forward in the game to beat the E4/Champion for the chance :D!

So I say yes, it would be awesome to have a Legendary to start with, however to make battles fair, so you're not just sweeping trainers and gym leaders with it. Some too should have a Legendary on their team, a legendary that is super effective against yours.

and at the same time I say no, it would just make the game too easy (it's already easy enough) and that's one less Legendary to look forward to in the post game adventure.

Back