• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DQ VS. FF

Ichigo_Kurosaki

*Cuts in half*
    Years
    For about 2 years I've been addicted to the Final Fantasy series but recently I've become interested in the Dragon Quest series. So I was wondering which one you prefer.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    Hard choice. The Dragon Quest series is pretty much the definition of classic RPG. All the main series games have stood by the classic turn-based battle system while the FF series seems to change with subsequent titles. Story's in the DQ are pretty standard too. I guess being a old school gamer I appreciate DQ charm a bit more than FF. It's really a close call though.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    If it weren't for Akira Toriyama (creator of Dragon Ball, for those who don't know), there really wouldn't be that much special about Draqon Quest at all. Final Fantasy has consistently been a more innovative and aesthetically fascinating series. It's true that DQ has this charm about it, but from a gameplay and artistic standpoint it just doesn't compare. Toriyama can make something charming without trying (just look at DBZ), but it takes a little more to inspire awe in the way that Final Fantasy does.

Actually, one horribly ironic thing about Dragon Quest is the Mother series (also known as Earthbound). Mother and its sequels were intentional send ups of Dragon Quest, sometimes even parodies, but they did everything that Dragon Quest did only better. DQ's greatest saving grace is its charm, but the Mother series--especially Mother 3--is even more charming. And from a gameplay and balancing standpoint Mother flattens DQ.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I prefer Final Fantasy since it has a lot more variety in gameplay than Dragon Quest. When you've played one Dragon Quest it feels like you've played them all.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I prefer the Final Fantasy series because it isn't scared to innovate. Final Fantasy almost always had the upper hand when compared to Dragon Quest, from the music to the battle system to the story and character development. Dragon Quest is better in a few ways because it offers a challenge, but it rarely evolves from what it excels at(making me think Nintendo is the actual developer), and that's the archaic turn based battle system we all know and love. Dragon Quest also offers more diverse features. In Dragon Quest IV you follow the chapters of different characters and then they all meet up as opposed to standard Final Fantasies where you control one character through most of the game. In Dragon Quest V you actually get married and have kids, as opposed to Final Fantasy where it happens in the end, if at all. You could say that its charm is that it's simple, but I really prefer a game that emphasizes story and character development.

I'm not saying the Dragon Quest series is bad, I'm just saying that it is inferior in many areas when compared to Final Fantasy.

Years
    I prefer Dragon Quest all the way. I really can't explain why, but I always feel more connected with the game. Probably because they always make you the main character. The story lines just feel more real because of this, too. The music, the environments, the entire ecosystem of the games just feel right. On a technical level, the Dragon Quest games are always more balanced. Level grinding, in my experience in all the nine main games, has almost never been a must (there have been a few cases, I will admit, but not nearly as many as I have experienced in the Final Fantasy series).

That's not to say I don't like Final Fantasy. I do, but I never feel as connected to the game as I do with Dragon Quest. Although I will admit I do like how much more post main game content they put in Final Fantasy.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Final Fantasy, but only the first 7. Other then that, Dragon Quest. I hate FF after 7 (With the exception of 9, but while I like it, it isn't my favorite game.) I don't even know why the first 7 are so good, I got wrapped up in the plots of the games. But after that... erm... not so much.

Current FF vs Current DQ? Dragon Quest easy.

Past FF vs Past DQ? Final Fantasy easy.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
    Years
    I prefer the Final Fantasy series because it isn't scared to innovate. Final Fantasy almost always had the upper hand when compared to Dragon Quest, from the music to the battle system to the story and character development. Dragon Quest is better in a few ways because it offers a challenge, but it rarely evolves from what it excels at(making me think Nintendo is the actual developer), and that's the archaic turn based battle system we all know and love. Dragon Quest also offers more diverse features. In Dragon Quest IV you follow the chapters of different characters and then they all meet up as opposed to standard Final Fantasies where you control one character through most of the game. In Dragon Quest V you actually get married and have kids, as opposed to Final Fantasy where it happens in the end, if at all. You could say that its charm is that it's simple, but I really prefer a game that emphasizes story and character development.

I'm not saying the Dragon Quest series is bad, I'm just saying that it is inferior in many areas when compared to Final Fantasy.

That's the same as Final Fantasy VI, in fact you can finish the game without going to meet up with the main character so that you never obtain her in the final part.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    That's the same as Final Fantasy VI, in fact you can finish the game without going to meet up with the main character so that you never obtain her in the final part.

While they are similar, you don't necessarily start from the beginning. In Final Fantasy VI you play the 3 scenes that happen after the party gets split up, and the same thing happens in the WoR.

TheBigMan0706

Monster hunting Snivy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2016
    I started playing the Dragon Quest series when Dragon Quest IX came out and I perfer that over any Final Fantasy game in existance

Back