• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Dragon Ascent: A Dragon Lover's Club

Pick the newest dragon club mascot!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Did your favorite dragon make the cut?
    Nope. RIP Zekrom. Box legends weren't likely to make the cut.

Are there any new dragons that you are looking forward to in Galar?
    Spoiler:

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Thanks for accepting me!
    **Have you ever encountered any shiny dragon pokemon?
    If the Haxorus, Gible, and Dratini from the Gen 5 games and events don't count then I have actually ran into a shiny Druddigon while leveling up my Pokemon for the living dex.

**Other fictional dragons of interest?
    There's lots.
    My current avatar is a Spitzfire from the Dragon Quest series (higher quality image) and I really like how it's both a dog and a dragon and in 11 (a game I may or may not have poured 100+ hours into) it is quite a formidable foe at the start too. Dragon Quest also includes a drake, hydra, serpent, and even slimes that act like dragons. My favourite enemy is the Seasaur but it's more of a sea monster over a dragon.

Edit: It seems like the images don't work on mobile, I'll fix them later.
    Edit 2: Should be good now hopefully.

I've been reading a review on Digimon design and they have a lot of cool looking dragon designs. Some of my favourites are Cyberdramon, Dorugoramon, Metalseadramon, and Ouryumon.

And then I like dragons from Final Fantasy and Spyro himself.

Can't believe this slipped my mind but I love all the dragon designs in How to Train your Dragon. My favourite is the Deadly Nadder.

Do you remember the first dragon pokemon you ever caught? If so what pokemon was it?
    My first Pokemon game was XD so I believe it was either Altaria or Salamence.

Who is your favorite dragon pokemon trainer?
    I too like Zinnia a lot for the reasons stated; my username was Zinnia at one point too.

Are there any new dragons that you are looking forward to in Galar?
    Spoiler: swsh thoughts
    While I'm not getting SWSH, I really, really LOVE Dragapult! It's a shooting ghost gecko with a lovable face. I also made a sprite of it:
    dragapult.png

After seeing it in action, I also LOVE Eternatus! It's basically a giant dragon skeleton that turns into a hand upon Gigantamaxing.

Spoiler: Did your favorite dragon make the cut? (more spoilers below)
    hydreigon_swsh.PNG
    noivern_swsh.PNG
    haxorus_swsh.PNG
    kommo-o_swsh.PNG

RIP Naganadel. :(

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I'd be delighted to join this lovely club! Dragon types are incredibly unique and alluring, what's not to adore about them?

I shall follow Reshiram, the majestic ivory dragon!

Last edited:
    Years

• The Dragon for the month of November is Kyurem.

With autumn nearing it's end and winter on the way this ice/dragon is here to usher in the days of night and cold that lay ahead. The month of November is also a time that signifies transformation, and Kyurem is a very transformative pokemon, born from the leftovers of the original dragon from ancient times that split into the electric dragon Zekrom and the fire dragon Reshiram, Kyurem is able to fuse with either of them as black or white Kyurem.

Zekrom and Reshiram represent yin and yang respectively, and Kyurem represents wuji, the absence of yin and yang.

https://postimages.org/

Kyurem's Black 2/ White 2 entry reads, "This legendary ice Pokémon waits for a hero to fill in the missing parts of its body with truth or ideals."

What do you think of Kyurem?
    I would say that this is a very interesting pokemon. My favorite of the Tao trio is Reshiram, but I think Kyurem is still kinda cool. I like all three of them. He looks ferocious, and ice/dragon is a really unique typing. I think the idea behind this pokemon and it's mythology is also thought-provoking. There are so many different legends about him, even that he came to earth riding on a meteor.

I love his voice also in the Sword of Justice movie, both the original and the dub.

Which Kyurem form do you prefer? His base form, black or white Kyurem?
    I like actually his base form best, even though he's not as powerful as his altered forms, I like the cleaner, simple design.

Did you enjoy Kyurem's increased role in BW2?
    While I like the overall plot of the original BW games best, I do like that they expanded Kyurem's part in the sequels because he is just as interesting as Reshiram and Zekrom, and I enjoyed getting to know Dryden as a character better in the process and helping him try to protect his city from the New Team Plasma, and keep him family heirloom out of their hands and save Kyurem from being misused. I did feel for Kyurem, hearing his sad cry.

Years
  • I'd be delighted to join this lovely club! Dragon types are incredibly unique and alluring, what's not to adore about them?

I shall follow Reshiram, the majestic ivory dragon!

Wise indeed! Step into the light, my brave sister of the order of the dragon! You are most welcome here as a defender of the dragon's hearth. Reshiram is walks beside you! We crown you will the dragon gem. Your name is set in stone

Fleurdelis

Gunbreaker addict
    Years
  • What do you think of Kyurem?

I think he's an interesting one. Ice/Dragon is a unique typing and his design speaks for itself. I really wanted one on my team back when I played the 5th generation of Pokemon games.

Like Sam, I too prefer the base form, the fused forms just look too odd for me to enjoy.

Yeah certainly. Made for a more interesting game instead of having to find him on your own in BW. The same way I really liked Giratina's increased role in Platinum, the same can be applied to Kyurem, even though with Kyurem there was more emphasis on his fused form.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    What do you think of kyurem?
    I love Kyurem! I think he has a marvelous design concept, he truly doesn't resemble any other dragon pokemon in the slightest, and I love his typing. I also love the folklore that surrounds Kyurem. Unlike other legendaries, Kyurem's not a pokemon that is considered heroic or almighty, rather its something that is feared immensely.

White Kyurem is my favourite! I think that is a perfect blend of Reshiram and Kyurem! I adore both dragons so of course the combination of both is spectacular!

Oh absolutely! I actually just finished re-playing Black 2 and I love the storyline. I think the games are some of the best entries in the series, honestly. Anyway, Team Plasma attempting to use Kyurem's power to freeze over the Unova region is very unique and it's considerably different from their goals in Black/White. I do wish we got to use Kyurem's fused form a little more, though!

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I like Kyurem, though idk which form I'd say is my favorite. Did use the base form a fair bit on Showdown and Battle Spot though (even though it's considered the weakest of the three forms lol). I just hope that one day, maybe in a Gen 5 remake, that we get to see the dragon from the fusion of all three of them.

Still drives me nuts though how armless, handless Wooper can learn Ice Punch, but Black Kyurem with its big burly arms, cannot. pls fix nintendo

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • What do you think of Kyurem?
    It's definitely my favourite Ice-type because I can appreciate how broken and hollow it looks. It's my favourite out of the Tao trio too.

Probably base form but I can appreciate how messy and jumbled the fusions are.

I did! The fact it froze an entire city while ominous music plays is delightfully eerie. I definitely need to replay those games, especially since I bought the games used because I refuse to reset my original copies.

Years
  • It looks all of us like Kyurem so far! Does anyone else remember an old lady NPC from BW2 who recounts the "Old Tale of Lacunosa Town" to the player, Bianca and Professor Juniper?

Old Lady: A long, long time ago, the Giant Chasm was created when a big meteorite fell from the sky. A really scary pokemon was hidden inside that meteorite.

Professor Juniper: A meteorite...

Old lady: When darkness falls over the land, this pokemon appears. A frigid wind follows it. It freezes everything around and eats people and pokemon. That's why everyone was afraid.

Bianca: The pokemon ate p-people?

Old Lady: So our ancestors surrounded our town with walls, to prevent the pokemon from getting inside the town. Also a rule was made forbidding anyone to go outside after dark...

What do you guys think of this legend? I think it sure is creepy and intrigues me, but I also think it is probably not wholly true. It sounds like the ancient people encountered Kyurem, but I do question the parts about Kyurem devouring the village people. I am not skeptical of it just because it's dark and scary, the pokedex is filled with similar stories of pokemon destroying cities, hunting and eatting other pokemon, taking revenge, killing humans, stealing their souls and more. That being said, there's also an ongoing theme of people coming to the wrong conclusion about pokemon as well-- absol is a perfect example of that. Folks fear absol, and wrongly blame him for natural disasters that strike, when the reality is that he's actually there to warn and save people, and isn't the cause of anything bad that happens.

I think wandering too close to Kyurem or areas where he is would probably be hazardous and fatal to many people and pokemon since his body is made of ice, and his very presence produces subzero temperatures. Hypothermia, frostbite and other nasty things might have been the end of some unfortunate villagers, and their disappearances could have been attributed to he big bad monster eating them. I don't think he literally roamed through Unova in search of tasty victims. Kyurem seems to be a creature who just wants to be left alone, hence why he stays in the darkness of the chasm. If he really did want to kill the people of Lacunosa than I think they would need more than an ordinary wall to keep him out of their town. He's a giant dragon. He would just fly over the wall, or destroy it with one of his attacks. If the old lady had said the ancient priests erected a magical forcefield that Kyurem can't cross, or the village chief made a pact with Kyurem to leave offerings and sacrifices for him in exchange for sparing the town...then maybe I'd believe it. But the way the story is told makes me think the games are probably pulling our legs.

What do you guys think? Is Kyurem the man-eating monster the old lady heard he was, or is he just misunderstood?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    It's possible that Kyurem occasionally gets the urge to snack on human flesh (there's always been low-key fucked up shit in Pokemon), but it's probably more likely that it's not completely true and things have just been lost to or warped by time, as often happens with old events. But who knows really.

Years
  • What do you guys think Kyurem eats regularly if it might not be people? Does he still eat meat like other Pokemon or animals? Does he stick to rare candy and castelia cones? Does he even need to eat often? Maybe this guy hibernates for long periods of time. If he is made of ice and energy perhaps he doesn't even eat at all.

I am curious about what a dragon's diet would be. I guess that would vary depending on the dragon. I just don't think Drampa or Altaria or Dragonite are carnivorous. They are so gentle.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    If Kyurem is carnivorous (and isn't into people), it probably eats other Pokemon then. Kind of the only other option. Some Dex entries mention Pokemon eating other Pokemon anyway.

But who knows if it really is carnivorous or not. Could certainly be any of the other options you mentioned too

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I think to think that perhaps the rumours regarding Kyurem's flesh-eating habits are incorrect. I think that the dragon is herbivorous and perhaps eats plant life that grows within Giant Chasm.

Another theory is that he eats stones or rocks, or icicles to keep his body temperature low while simultaneously strengthening his ice-type powers.

Last edited:
    Years

• A Dragon's Tale

Welcome Dragon worshippers to this month's instalment of A Dragon's Tale! Sorry the November edition is a little late. These real legendary dragons take time for me to research, so leave a thumbs up if you wish me to keep going with stories of great dragons. Last month we travelled to east Asia to visit Benzai-ten the Dragon Queen. This month our journey leads to the continent of Australia to meet the life-giver Rainbow Serpent.

The worship of Rainbow Serpent is one of the oldest continuing religions in the world, with aboriginal cave paintings of this deity appearing at the Arnhem Land rock 6000-8000 years ago after the Ice Age.

Rainbow Serpent is depicted with a long serpentine body. The rainbow in the sky is said to be it's magically-colored form travelling the land, hopping from one waterhole to the next!

Like many dragons Rainbow Serpent has attributes resembling other animals. It's tail looks like a crocodile's, and it's head has been called a kangaroo head.

Rainbow Serpent has been described as female, as well as male and as an intersex deity able to impregnate itself. It was the supreme creator deity to Austrailia's ancient aborigines. According to the traditions it gave birth to all species of animals.

According to the drawings, ritual dances and songs passed down by the ancient people the world as we know it began in the Dreamtime when ancestral spirits came into existence. Before this there was only darkness and silence, and the earth was an empty plane, barren of people, plants and animals. There was no water, it was merely flat wasteland, until supernatural beings broke through the crust of the earth.

The most powerful of these creatures was Rainbow Serpent who awoke from slumber underneath the earth in search of what had become of his/her friends, hoping to meet more of it's own kind, and form a tribe.

Rainbow Serpent crossed the landmass, slithering from north to south, east and west, listening desperately to the wind for any sign of life. As it moved it's long, draconic form it left impressions in the ground that formed gorges. It also thrust it's body upward and accidentally created mountains and caves and burrowed through the ground, leaving tunnels behind.

After circling the land Rainbow Serpent collapsed in the sand from exhaustion. When it awakened still alone it decided to take it upon itself to fill up the lonely world it had inherited.

Rainbow Serpent used it's magnificent powers of creation to summon frogs, and tickled their little bellies until they spat out water into the chasms, forming the lakes and lagoons we see in the world today, and rivers and streams from the path it's winding tail had had made.

As the water flowed everywhere the barren earth sprouted trees, grass, flowers and fruits until the land was covered in as many beautiful and different colors as the serpent itself.

Rainbow Serpent brought other animals into existence after the frogs. They all lived together in harmomy by drinking Rainbow Serpent's waters and eatting the vegetation and bounty of the land. Birds and insects received dominion over the air, fish filled the seas and wombats made homes in the forest.

The Serpent governed the land, and rewarded animals that followed it's rule of law by transforming them into humans. Rainbow Serpent also taught people how to dance and clothe themselves. Humans tried to mimic the sinuous patterns the snake moved in, and dress in it's bold colors.

Rainbow Serpent is generally considered a wise and good deity. It can heal others, circulate the flow of blood, and usher in a human being's transition from childhood to adulthood by swallowing people whole to incubate, then releasing them to be reborn anew.

In the Kimberley regions it is said that Rainbow Serpent helps women become pregnant by hiding spirit-children away in waterholes. Wading through a pool of water blessed by Rainbow Serpent is thought to help couples find and conceive their child.

Rainbow Serpent brings rain to sustain the earth and is a peacemaker that holds the balance of this world together. However, Rainbow Serpent cannot be crossed with impunity. It's justice is stern, and it can vanquish it's enemies by turning them to stone it's emphatic gaze. While usually fair, if it or it's laws have been disrespect it can send storms and floods, or withold it's water altogether to cause drought. Natural disasters can be interpreted not just as punishment however, but as a means to encourage humankind to work together, and share their resources and cooperate in order to survive, testing our maturity and capacity to love eachther. When waterholes do not dry even in times of drought it is an omen of Rainbow Serpent's presence.

A symbol of Rainbow Serpent is a prismatic halo around the moon that resembles the rainbow. Pieces of quartz are used in rituals to invoke Rainbow Serpent because of the color and light.

Last edited:
    Back