• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

DS or DSi. which is better?

francisbb

Join the Legacy...
    Years
    I personally prefer the DS mor than the DSi the DSi has useless features even if I got one I would'nt use the features just play the games with a DS Lite I can play GBA games and play NDS games on it I think the DS is better

Livinitup17

Pokemon Dealer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    i think it depends on the person if they have old gba games than ds is the way to go
    if you like slim longer battery and camera go with the dsi
    i prefer the dsi though

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I've been a fan of the DS for a while; I've owned a few and they're perfect for my needs. The fact I still do GBA gaming is a plus on it.

HOWEVER I'm waiting for the 3DS to come out before I make another upgrade.

AuraAshley1990

Moon night bomb
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2011
    DSI is so much better it has a camera and can get online. regular ds cant do any of those things

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
    I've never owned a DSi, but I believe it good in graphics wise and such (as I have seen it in action) but I'd rather keep to the old GBA slot, I just love them games. :D

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2019
    I prefer the DSLite over the DSi. It's useful, specially for Pokémon, to have a GBA slot. The only thing I miss from the DSi is the case. I prefer it's outside than the DSLite's one. And if you want to access the Internet, no problem: this is why the original Nintendo DS Browser was created.

Clefairies

I'm always chasing rainbows.
    Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2016
    I'm all for my DS.
    Never had any problems with it and I don't see any real need to buy a DSi. (:
    I think I will also be skipping DSi and waiting for a 3DS.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    DS/DS Lite.
    Since GBA games, and you can play DSi Enhanced import games with it :3

Esmas

General
    Years
    Another reason that makes the DSi lesser than the regular DS: it's region-locked. I can't play Japanese games, or any other country's games; so if I want to play B/W, I'd have to play it on my broken DS Lite T___T

Stingray

Space elves FTW
    Years
    I actually just got a DS... I decided on the DS light over DSi because it increased my gaming optioons (I missed the gba era so that is a lot of possible gaming fun). Also I own a Droid phone (using it to post atm) so it can handle my portable camera and internet needs.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
    Note: If you're reading this you are most likely to own a computer, wich means being able to play gba games on an emulator.

Heres how it goes.

DSi: If you don't feel like you need to play gba games on a system anymore and want a higher quality and tons of feature such as 2 camera, improved accuracy, recorder, web browser and more.

DS: If you still want to play gba games on a system or if you feel like your ds is still recent and don't want to spend money on something you basically have but better for ds games with higher quality(dsi), and you want to wait for a newer ds.

My opinion: DSi, why? Because losing quality to play gba games is useless since you can play them on the pc using emulator's.. AND there free. While DS games are better played on the actual system since the online play works decently while on the pc it is possible but hard, very odd and slow. The overall dsi experience is much better then the ds.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
    I like my DSi personally. It's got some good features. However I got it because my old DS's touch screen broke, but GBA games can still be played on it. Then my mother became interested in it, got herself a DS lite, and kind of got over it and now it's.... Well it's hers but I use it all the time. So having 3 DS's I don't really have anything to miss... Though I can't say I like browsing the internet on my DSi. It just makes me want to throw the system at a wall.

razzbat

dancer
    Years

My opinion: DSi, why? Because losing quality to play gba games is useless since you can play them on the pc using emulator's.. AND there free. While DS games are better played on the actual system since the online play works decently while on the pc it is possible but hard, very odd and slow. The overall dsi experience is much better then the ds.
    this is just my opinion but gba games usually sucks on a pc. The game looks ugly when its set on fullscreen and becomes messy when you minimize with all the icons around. playing through a keyboard is also pretty uncomfortable and while you can hook up a controller, it feels weird using an analogue stick and the dpad isnt that great. And you cant fit a pc in your bag and take it around and play it on public transport. plus it's illegal. :\
    im going with ds but not because of the gba slot, i use my gba sp for that, but because of the region lock. While it's only pokemon bw that i care about, it's a big thing considering its one of the greatest games i have played in a long time.

Demigod

umop ap!sdn
    Years
    this is just my opinion but gba games usually sucks on a pc. The game looks ugly when its set on fullscreen and becomes messy when you minimize with all the icons around. playing through a keyboard is also pretty uncomfortable and while you can hook up a controller, it feels weird using an analogue stick and the dpad isnt that great. And you cant fit a pc in your bag and take it around and play it on public transport. plus it's illegal. :\
    im going with ds but not because of the gba slot, i use my gba sp for that, but because of the region lock. While it's only pokemon bw that i care about, it's a big thing considering its one of the greatest games i have played in a long time.

I understand your point of view and respect it. I use Windows XP over new OS's for reasons similar in terms of product so it's a similar situation to me.

Flandre Scarlet

Free your mind.
    Years
    I have a DSi. I chose a DSi-XL over a normal DSi or a DS Lite though because my hands are really big and it's uncomfortable for me to hold it. :/

Years
    You don't have to worry about updates that cripple the usage of flashcarts on the DS, so DS for me.

Plus, I've never been one for integration. The only reason why the cellphone-camera combination works is because it is convenient. Nowadays, most people have cellphones with cameras, so my question is, exactly how many electronic devices do you need to take a picture?

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    Definitely the DS (Lite in my case) over the DSi...the DSi won't let you play GBA games! AKA LAME! I like that feature even though I have a GBA. I don't want to lug that around too though, that is why I like the DS. Plus seriously...I don't want a camera on my DS!!! Who cares! I have a digital camera already that takes great photos, so I don't need one on my portable gaming system.

DS and DS Lite ALL THE WAY!

Back