• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dungeons

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    What types of dungeons do you like in Pokemon games and wish to see more of in future games? What are some of your favorite dungeons so far? What are some of the less memorable ones for you?

Years
    I honestly don't think any dungeon in a mainline game has been good. Either annoying teleporter mazes, HMs galore, or stupid spinning tile panels. And from what I've noticed recent mainline games haven't really don't dungeons much. I guess anything i havent already said would be an improvement

Honestly not too many are memorable for me? And I'm not sure 100% what I'd consider a dungeon. But I did love the Trick House in RSE with its puzzles - not too difficult but still fun to complete. Always had a great time redoing those when making new saves. <3 It wasn't as good in ORAS though sadly.

Other places I enjoyed despite the annoyance with getting to the end sometimes was Ho-Oh's tower. Really felt like an achievement working my way up to the very top and seeing it there!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I'd like to see another cave that's like Reflection Cave where wild Pokemon will show up when you look at your reflection. I found this to be pretty cool, honestly, and would like to see it again.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Is not sure what counts as a dungeon. What would probably qualify?

Yes
    Larger caves (Rock Tunnel, Reflection Cave, Terminus Cave, Cerulean Cave, Mt Moon...)
    Evil team bases
    Towers (Sprout Tower, Lavender City tower, Celestial Tower, Dragonspiral Tower...)
    Seafoam Islands
    Victory Road
    Power Plant?
    Abandoned Ship
    Vast Poni Canyon

No
    Gyms
    Smaller caves (Diglett Tunnel)
    Nugget Bridge (more of a gauntlet)

Hm. More or less defines it as a place difficult (or more tedious) to leave and heal. May have means to heal inside the place, however. Does not need to contain a boss.

Liked the Abandoned Ship in Hoenn. Felt like a good, natural use of various HM moves. Seems quite unique. (Sort of forgot it existed, though. Skips by it pretty easily.)

Generally feels okay with Victory Road style dungeons. Prefers dealing with trainers (with some variation in teams) versus wild Pokemon (Geodude Geodude Geodude Zubat Zubat).

Views optional areas (Power Plant, Abandoned Ship) as forgettable, simply due to not being pushed into them. Blurs all of the Pokemon cemetery towers together too.

Years
    I'm okay with them mostly, but struggle to come up with something that stands out in a positive light.

Warp tile puzzle dungeons such as Silph Co or the Team Aqua/Magma hideouts are just an annoyance rather than any fun though.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I'm not sure if I want "dungeons" to come back now we're in 3D, I found Tunnel to the Top to be exceedingly irritating.

In the 2D games I generally enjoyed them, though two from Hoenn stand out:
    • Hoenn Victory Road - remains the only one I've genuinely had to give up on (I was 10, but still). Perhaps due to a lack of recent playthroughs it maintains its mystique. The Ace Trainer related to the battle family near the desert was a neat touch too. IIRC one trainer had Thief - I lost my Exp. Share!
    • Abandoned Ship - a fun use of Dive, one of my favourite completely optional areas along with Trick House. I just like the vibe haha

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    By "dungeon," you mean places such as caves or underground areas such as Grand Underground for example? If so, I never really cared for them. If anything, in the older games, they made movement too difficult without Repels because too many Pokémon would attack you. However, I did enjoy The Old Chateau (not a cave or anything but close enough) in Sinnoh because of its spookiness and Turnback Cave with Giratina for the same reasons. I also enjoyed Reverse World as well because it too was very strange and creepy.

Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2023
    Maybe dungeons with puzzles and interesting features in them would be nice. Not a fan of caves especially if you don't have enough Repels to get out of there.

Back