• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Dynamaxing

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • It seems to be somewhere between mega evolution and Z-moves. One was somehting that lasted until the Pokemon fainted, and it could be switched out and back in with the same form. Z-Moves meanwhile were a one turn affair that could be (mostly) blocked by Protect or the like. Now we have a 3 turn thing. Did Game Freak think that both were too extreme in a sense?

More importantly, what does it mean for mega evolutions/z-moves in gen 8?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    This is earning a pretty big, "ehhhh", from me. It's not awful, just not something I'm crazy about. Interested in learning more though!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i don't throw this word around lightly, but this is extremely lazy. giant pokemon just seems so juvenile to me. anybody could have come up with that. at least there's more creative thought put into mega evolutions and z moves, whether you like them or not. i guess we're going to see where they take it from here, but i don't plan on using it if this is literally all it is. and i'm going to totally omit the dirty joke i could make about it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Juvenile is the word.

I also just... So the trainers are standing around there in the middle then? When the big badaboom moves go on? Okay.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2019
    Lmfao, what a silly name, "Dynamaxing" I actually think Dynamaxing seems interesting. It reminds me of totem Pokemon, just more limited. I don't think there's anything wrong w/a brand new gimmick that only lasts three turns and once per battle. Mega Evolutions were already broken as-is as were Z-moves.

I'm mostly indifferent to Dynamaxing at the moment, except that I definitely don't like the name. I understand that it sounds like the Japanese version, "Daimax", and I understand that "Dymax" wouldn't really work in English, but I'm gonna need Professor Magnolia to really sell it.

Fortunately, I already love her. I had been both hoping for and anticipating an older, classical, female professor. A "Fairy Headmistress". I had hoped she'd be black and I'd called her Mary Alice Whitebeam, but I'm still very, very excited about Professor Magnolia. I hope the bird on her cane really is a Corviknight.

What will really help Dynamaxing for me is if the "super" version is called Gigamax instead of the rumored Gigantamax. Also, I'm hoping that it somehow references Alola's Totems. Somehow, the Dynamax Band has found a way to charge certain Pokémon with enough Aura to make them even more OP than Totems. Bonus points iff this inclusion means that Pokémon Home will allow transfer of Totems from SM/USUM — finally with their powered-up Aura glow via the Dynamax Band. That would 100% sell me on it!

I also like when the lore from various Regions is connected, like when the next Region adds to or deepens the lore of the previous. So if we dive deeper into Totems, Aura, and Zenith energy — maybe even Zygarde? — in order to flesh out Dynamaxing, I'm game.

I don't really like the idea of Z-Moves being used with electronic tech, though. I think that's at odds with everything that made Alolan culture so unique and specific. Everything in Alola is spiritual and natural or observing nature, except Aether. Arguably, though, by the end of USUM, Aether's goal really is protecting Pokémon/nature.

Especially if we can finally freely take photos outside, posing would be nice… But if Z-Moves appear in Galar, I hope we have to acquire a Z-Ring somehow. Dynamax Bands could incorporate Mega tech, but Z-Rings are made of "rock" (or Necrozma's body?), so I don't think that works.

Plus, do the dances work outside of Alola? Maybe they'd just cut the dances?

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • I'm in a weird place opinion-wise, in that I'm apathetic about it as a game mechanic (leaning towards dislike, I agree with the common sentiment that we don't need a new battle mechanic every generation), but I like the concept. Like, we've always been able to shrink Pokemon down to put them in Pokeballs, so the opposite makes a strange sort of sense. (Plus, you've got giant Pokemon appearing in the anime all the time, and more recently, Totem Pokemon.) Honestly, I'm just drawn to it because I like gigantic things, haha.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    Can you imagine a dynamax Magicarp using a giant-sized splash?
    SCHPLOOOSH!!!

Super splash!

Dynamaxing

ElBurrito

[COLOR=#0543a8][FONT="Press Start 2P"]I'm not just
    Years
  • Well, apparently dynamaxing is replacing megas and z-moves. That at least solves the issue of having too many battle gimmicks. However it makes me more irritated that gamefreak would just scrap those mechanics rather than expand on them.

Greninjauzumaki

Pokepro
    Years
  • Opinions on the Dynamax feature

As you may have already heard the upcoming generation of pokemon games are going to have this feature called "Dynanmax" ing where one's Pokemon will transform into larger version of itself. As someone who has played Pokemon for more than a decade now, I really don't understand the appeal of dynamax. During the release of Pokemon X and Y, the Mega Evolution feature was something I looked forward to because to a certain degree it made sense for certain pokemon to evolve and stay in its new form for a while. Then in Sun and Moon we got the Z moves feature, which really didn't get me as interested as before but it was a cool feature and it made sense. But now the dynamax feature is something that I really don't know how to feel about. Yes, it may look cool to see your Pokemon transform into a larger form for 3 turns. But that's about it. I am also curious if the player could use this feature at all times. For example, I think players can only use Dynamax during gym leader battles, elite 4 battles and raid battles because it wouldn't make sense to be able to use the dynamax feature during a normal trainer battle in my opinion. Most importantly since the upcoming games will not include all Pokemon from the previous generations due to hardware limitations, people have started to dislike this feature more than ever. So I wanted to know your opinions regarding the Dynamax feature? Is it something you are all looking forward to? Is it a feature you really don't mind having and don't know how to feel about it yet like myself or do you simply hate this feature? Leave your thoughts below.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Honestly, the news about the Pokedex has taken a lot of the thrill out of Dynamaxing for me. :/ I was getting pretty excited imagining things like, "Dynamax Lunatone will be big enough to sit on like the Dreamworks logo", "Dynamax Gliscor could hold your entire body safely in its claw while it battled if it had to" "Dynamax Ariados or Araquanid would be straight out of my nightmares", etc. Yeah, we can still imagine these things, but...

Whim

king of weirdtropolis
    Years
  • The biggest issue that I have with this new mechanic is how they used it as something that is supposed to bring balance to the game. Honestly, how this is going to help in any way? Because I can't see anyone choosing to Dynamax his Butterfree instead of a Tyranitar. Everything that is strong will keep being strong while the unused will keep their way being still unused.

Seriously, Z-Moves was a heck of a time waster through game, but damn, at least it almost broke stall and gave some mons funny combinations when combining Z-stones with different moves like Z-Snatch, Z-Laser Focus, Z-Fly and Z-Mirror Move. Megas (if wasn't for the fact they gave many based on popularity) also had their way to contribute. I seriously can't see a scenario where this will give any kind of balance to the metagame.​

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2019
    Honestly, the news about the Pokedex has taken a lot of the thrill out of Dynamaxing for me. :/ I was getting pretty excited imagining things like, "Dynamax Lunatone will be big enough to sit on like the Dreamworks logo", "Dynamax Gliscor could hold your entire body safely in its claw while it battled if it had to" "Dynamax Ariados or Araquanid would be straight out of my nightmares", etc. Yeah, we can still imagine these things, but...

Yes. This is what is so extremely disappointing about this decision, and the anxiety that this disappointment will seemingly continue forever.

Love the Dynamax mechanic? Perhaps its primary appeal is even that it provides the opportunity to see your favorite Pokémon splashed HUGE across a big HD screen for the very first time? Specifically, maybe you were excited because your personal favorite was never gonna star in something like Pokken or Smash Bros? Welp, too bad. From now on Game Freak is picking "fan favorites" even for the core games. I hope your favorite Pokémon makes the cut…

Love the Galar Region and what looks like the opportunity to camp and take photos with your favorite mons? What a great bonding experience, right? Too bad if your faves didn't make the cut. You will never be able to share that Region with those mons. And it will always be like this, apparently. In fact, the longer the series goes, the fewer "legacy" slots there will be, as new fan faves like Wooloo and Corviknight emerge. Just to be safe, you'd better learn to like what everyone else likes.

And what about Legends, Mythicals, and Starters? Pokémon that are in many ways the most iconic, and probably the most likely to be excluded from the sound of it. Pokémon that we're pushed hard throughout all of Gen 7. And if they are included, how will that make sense?

It's a mess.

My first thoughts with Dynamaxing included thinking it would be fun to see specific favorites of mine towering over the competition. Now I'm hesitant to even think much about it or try to feel excited about it until I see a definitive list of which Pokémon will even be in the game. Going forward, I'll care about the legacy Pokémon in the Regional Dex more than I ever have, on par with seeing the new ones. It completely changes the way I anticipate the game, and I hesitate to get too excited about any part of it until I see the legacy roster.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • On a lighter note, has anyone else seen the footage of the Dynamaxed Yamper just exploding upon being fainted? LOL

Back