• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Early game Encounters

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Every generation comes with its own set of early game encounters that are usually easy to catch and don't stick too long in the party for the most part. They usually comprise of:
    - a bird (e.g. Pidgey)
    - a rodent (e.g. Sentret) and
    - a bug (e.g. Wurmple)

Going through all the generations: are there any that stick out to you positively? Which do you like, which do you not like?

Starly was really good in DPPt and a lot of people (myself included) used it. Intimidate + Close Combat among other things made it a pretty good choice for your team in the long run. I also used Sentret in GSC too since it could learn the elemental punches! Wasn't the strongest overall, but gave me more type coverage and I kept it around for quite a while. Plus it's cute!

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i love furret and linoone man...idk if they count bc it's sentret and zigzagoon that you find but like. they become long fuzzy friends. how can i resist... i literally have to force myself to Not use furrett when i play GSC/HGSS lol

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2021
    On my first White playthrough not too long ago, a Lillipup I caught after Accumula Town made it all the way to the Elite 4 and the N/Ghetsis battles. It was very useful for dealing with Reshiram and Cofagrigus.

Years
    Starly was really good in DPPt and a lot of people (myself included) used it. Intimidate + Close Combat among other things made it a pretty good choice for your team in the long run. I also used Sentret in GSC too since it could learn the elemental punches! Wasn't the strongest overall, but gave me more type coverage and I kept it around for quite a while. Plus it's cute!

+1 for Starly. that was literally the best starting birb gamefreak ever made and you can't change my mind. who the HELL is Pidgeot.

on another note though, how does Talonflame compare? i haven't ever played Gen 6 yet and will do so really soon when i have more free time this christmas season. wanna see how viable it is as a team member hehe.

I actually used Wurmple/Beautifly on one of my first RSE teams too! Found it super cute and while it wasn't too strong, I had fun keeping it around and would definitely use another. Eventually I'll try out Dustox too.

Also forgot that Mightyena was another mon I trained up as a kid that I loved a lot!! My irl friend and I both had one on our teams. Intimidate is always top tier.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I usually pick my team before the actual run these days, so I rarely use them anymore but I remembered I loved Zigzagoon when I was playing Ruby for the first time all those years ago.

I barely knew English - didn't even know the Start button was a thing (thanks, emulator) - so the only way I had to save was by trying to trade at the second level of the Pokémon Center.

I still remember the shiny Zigzagoon I caught and lost due to my lack of saving :c

In newer generations, I do love Vikavolt! Although I've never actually finished an Alolan playthrough so technically I haven't used it, I guess.

SawkTheWarrior

SW-7387-7525-9201
    Years
    I never use the early game mons, due to them being boxed later, and all the EXP they gained being wasted. Gotta say tho, scolipede is the best of all early game mons.

Years
    I usually pick my team before the actual run these days, so I rarely use them anymore but I remembered I loved Zigzagoon when I was playing Ruby for the first time all those years ago.

I barely knew English - didn't even know the Start button was a thing (thanks, emulator) - so the only way I had to save was by trying to trade at the second level of the Pokémon Center.

I still remember the shiny Zigzagoon I caught and lost due to my lack of saving :c

In newer generations, I do love Vikavolt! Although I've never actually finished an Alolan playthrough so technically I haven't used it, I guess.

damn F to that man. did the game not come in your native language?

+1 as well to Zigzagoon. i think i already mentioned it a couple times before, but Linoone spamming Headbutt was a nightmare for trainers all around Hoenn when i played lmao. moved faster than 80% of opponents and always was a 2HKO (barring pokemon league mons tho). i also think i was the luckiest guy alive for pretty much getting flinches 1 in every 3 times i used it.

i believe i would've owned even further had i fully understood what Facade did back then, because i do remember getting burned & paralyzed a lot.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    damn F to that man. did the game not come in your native language?

+1 as well to Zigzagoon. i think i already mentioned it a couple times before, but Linoone spamming Headbutt was a nightmare for trainers all around Hoenn when i played lmao. moved faster than 80% of opponents and always was a 2HKO (barring pokemon league mons tho). i also think i was the luckiest guy alive for pretty much getting flinches 1 in every 3 times i used it.

i believe i would've owned even further had i fully understood what Facade did back then, because i do remember getting burned & paralyzed a lot.

They never come, the closest is Spanish but even then I think they only started releasing games in that around Gen VI.

But yeah, the derps kinda slap. Heck, I even soloed Brawly with that shiny Zigzagoon - then turned Linoone.

Years
    Any of the bird type pokemon usual get into my squad, I used to build my squad early in game and stick with it all the way through so quite a few early encounters notible mentions Pidgey, mankey, Nidoran male, poliwag, zubat seedot, ralts, bellsprout, bidoof, Starley, shinx, lillpup, Fletchling, pikachu, caterpie just a few off the top of my head

Years
    • Seen today
    Definitely the reckless bird Starly, arguably the best regional bird and the one you can have on your team through the entire game and will allways stay helpful. Useful ability, great stat distribution that lets the Pokémon have a clear role and be good at it, fast and hits like a truck with access to strong level-up moves and good coverage, super easy to get and super easy to train.

I could also say Shinx, but Shinx in its early appearances had the same problem Flareon had: being a physical Pokémon with no access to any good physical move of its type for the late game. Mareep is also great, and can stay with you for the entire game, but depending on the game you might get stuck with nothing better than Thundershock for a considerable length.

Lillipup and Rookide also look like early-game Pokémon that could stay helpful through the entire game, but I didn't have them on my team yet.

Years
    Starley and Shinx. Staraptor and Luxray are some of the best Pokemon to use in Sinnoh and they are really cool in general. I don't really care for most early game encounter Pokemon, as they tend to be weak.

Back