• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Early Game Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    ^ An earlier Larvitar and Houndour is something I'm all for. Why'd they even have Larvitar so far away, I mean to me it made no sense at all that way. Replace some Kanto Pokémon for the main star Johto ones, because before it was a little overflooded with Kanto Pokémon over Johto.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I think Ponyta is an early site for fire type no? If anyone is looking for a good fire type I'd recommend it to anyone. It is pretty strong especially when it evolves into Rapidash

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Anyone want an early Larvitar? Bit of a stretch?

I think they should give more type variety in the beginning, like add a water (Poliwag was good, maybe something else too?) and a fire (Growlith/Houndour?).

Growlithe would be pretty cool to have early in the game and Larvitar as well. The only problem is, what place would it be catchable in if it would happen to be catchable early in the game?

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Anyone want an early Larvitar? Bit of a stretch?
    I dunno. To me, an early Larvitar is exactly like having an early Dratini. It'll make the game way too easy.

Larvitar's better in Mt. Silver anyhow. It's rare, it and its evolutions are powerful. It's the Dratini of the second generation, and should be treated the same. Dratini was only found in one area because of how rare and powerful it is. It's the same with Larvitar. Keep it rare.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I dunno. To me, an early Larvitar is exactly like having an early Dratini. It'll make the game way too easy.

Larvitar's better in Mt. Silver anyhow. It's rare, it and its evolutions are powerful. It's the Dratini of the second generation, and should be treated the same. Dratini was only found in one area because of how rare and powerful it is. It's the same with Larvitar. Keep it rare.

I think you have won your case here. xD I'd have to agree though, Larvitar should best be kept where it is at. I'd like to see Aipom a bit earlier in the game though.

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    Wait...so this topic is here just to complain that the start of G/S/C was challenging, my Arceus what is wrong with you, Pokémon games are very rarely challenging until after you beat the E4 and start battling other People and in the Battle Frontier's, but now someone thinks that having a challenging start to the game is bad, and to be honest even though i did feel the start was more challenging than in the other games, i played through with each starter and never lost to the first gym leader, Falkner was just not that hard, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just trying to cover up there poor training.

Kristy Haruka

Johto Fangirl!~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    Growlithe would be pretty cool to have early in the game and Larvitar as well. The only problem is, what place would it be catchable in if it would happen to be catchable early in the game?

Growlithe and Vulpix are already found early in the game. Phanpy, Vulpix, and Growlithe are all found in the little grass patch next to Violet City for those trainers who need help and need a little boost with fighting Falkner and and Bugsy.

And spike, I already said I was wrong... we are just discussing possible changes/additions now. xD

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • Aren't there really only crappy pokemon every game?

Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Ratata.
    Wurmple, Zigzagoon.
    Bidoof, Starly.

All crap XD
    I'd love for there to be better pokemon, especially since I'm sure the Gyms will get a level boost.
    ahh i hate those pokemon
    they drive me nuts.
    but i rlly like butterfree<3
    xD

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Wait...so this topic is here just to complain that the start of G/S/C was challenging, my Arceus what is wrong with you, Pokémon games are very rarely challenging until after you beat the E4 and start battling other People and in the Battle Frontier's, but now someone thinks that having a challenging start to the game is bad, and to be honest even though i did feel the start was more challenging than in the other games, i played through with each starter and never lost to the first gym leader, Falkner was just not that hard, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just trying to cover up there poor training.

Exactly, No matter what starter chosen if you train well enough which isn't even that time consuming you should have no problem with Faulkner. To make the game any fun, it has to start off with pokemon people consider "weak" But it is really how you use them. If you know how to PROPERLY USE them you will be surprised. I think a lot of people are just impatient to capture their favorites which are found later in the game. Are there pokemon that should be found sooner? Yeah I think so, but not at the start. IMO it is fine with me.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    Not really. Vulpix and Growlithe easily fill that niche.

I agree with MS Eeveelution on that sentiment. Ther should be less Kanto and more Johto Pokemon in Johto because it makes a lot more sense that way. I can see them being in Johto after the Elite Four but not in Johto before that.

I used every starter in G/S and I won against Falkner, but I prefer Totodile because I lean towards the water and electric types.

SmashHero24

What?
    Years
  • That's why Larvitar was 'eh' with me on being early. But we could always use an earlier ice type (which never happens >.>).

I'm not really complaining about the difficulty, I found it fun. I just like a wider variety.

Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2022
    To be honest, I really hope they include that patch of grass in the route west of Violet City (can't remember the name) that was in Crystal, where you could catch Growlithe. Otherwise, starting with Chikorita will be a bit annoying, considering the type of the first two gyms.

Kristy Haruka

Johto Fangirl!~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    That's why Larvitar was 'eh' with me on being early. But we could always use an earlier ice type (which never happens >.>).

I'm not really complaining about the difficulty, I found it fun. I just like a wider variety.

I don't think Ice, Dark, Steel, or Dragon types will ever be found early in the game. They are "hard" types to master, or so the game designers think, so they are always found near the end.

Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2011
    always ALWAYS!!!!
    get a mareep. you will regret not capturing one. i learned the hard way and when i captured one for fun in like my 3rd playthrough of silver, it made the game way more awesome. i remember evolving to a ampharos(sp?) and getting thunderpunch and then going and owning team rocket with lance at the lake of rage

YEAH!!!!!!!!!

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    I don't think Ice, Dark, Steel, or Dragon types will ever be found early in the game. They are "hard" types to master, or so the game designers think, so they are always found near the end.

Poochyena was the first pokemon you battled in RS, so I could easily see more dark types about. I see your point about the others though.

For Larvitar, I wouldn't like to see an early Larvitar, but I would like an earlier Larvitar. I know Dratini was only found in one place, but that was around the fifth/sixth gym, not after the sixteenth gym. I'd put Larvitar on route 45, or maybe in Dark Cave, so you can get him before you face Clair, the elite four, and Kanto.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I wouldn't mind some more good or old rod water type pokemon early in the game. Always seeing a Magikarp is getting a bit boring to me.

Kristy Haruka

Johto Fangirl!~
    Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2009
    Poochyena was the first pokemon you battled in RS, so I could easily see more dark types about. I see your point about the others though.

For Larvitar, I wouldn't like to see an early Larvitar, but I would like an earlier Larvitar. I know Dratini was only found in one place, but that was around the fifth/sixth gym, not after the sixteenth gym. I'd put Larvitar on route 45, or maybe in Dark Cave, so you can get him before you face Clair, the elite four, and Kanto.

Oops! Switch Dark to Fighting, then. xD

I wouldn't mind some more good or old rod water type pokemon early in the game. Always seeing a Magikarp is getting a bit boring to me.

Couldn't you get Goldeen and Poliwag with an Old Rod in GSC?

SmashHero24

What?
    Years
  • Poochyena was the first pokemon you battled in RS, so I could easily see more dark types about. I see your point about the others though.

Digging this idea.

And there was an early steel in RSE, Aron?

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    Aron was found in Dewford Island where the second gym is located, though Johto is a bit different with their Pokémon appearanced compared to that of the Hoenn.

Ayselipera

before you get to Violet City. As well as
    geodude. Also I think in Crystal when you
    did get to Violet city there were Growlithe
    in the patch of grass before sudowoodo.

Hey you know what would be really nice is
    if Murkrow or Hondour can be found at night
    in Johto rather than Kanto. Perhaps they'll be
    found close to New Bark Town.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back