• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Easiest" Pokemon Game for a Beginner?

Which Pokemon Game is the Easiest?

• Firered

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Leafgreen

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Emerald

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Platinum

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • SoulSilver

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Black

Votes: 13 40.6%

• Total voters
Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2023
    Hello, I am showing my friend the wonderful joy of Pokemon! With this being said, she has NEVER, EVER, played it or much less cared about it. She gets easily annoyed with games with bad graphics, so I'm not going to show her the first gen games.

I have a few options for her to play:

Firered

Leafgreen

Emerald

Platinum

SoulSilver

Black

Now, I ask, what would be the best to have her play? I'm teaching her the basics right now, such as type disadvantages and whatnot. I don't want her to spend hours training Pokemon for a certain gym (sure had trouble in Leafgreen and Firered)...and I don't recall which would be hardest.

Also, I am not sure if this is the right section for me to be posting this in or not... 0_0

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It's really hard to say, as how hard a game will be depends on what Pokemon you choose. For instance, FRLG is 'easier' in the beginning if you choose Bulbasaur (with the rock and water gyms) than if you chose Charmander. The same goes with any game (e.g. HGSS - Chikorita is the harder, Cyndaquil is the easiest for the game up to the first two gyms). I don't think there's any right or wrong answer there as such then - Pokemon games are generally 'easy' but can be has hard as you choose to make it (particularly with say monotype runs or Nuzlocke challenges, etc).

Years
  • I chose Fire Red for a couple reasons. One being as a kid, I played the original Red and got through it no problem with whatever I chose as a starter because of the Pokemon around the area. (bug types/ mankey for Brock) With FR, I found they made Red a lot simpler and made it more friendly for new commers. Another being that the Pokemon in FR are simpler and are more generic in a sense of understanding while the new versions Pokemon can be very difficult to understand or even get what they are. But like Bob said, all the games are very much the same and can be as challenging, or as easy as the ones they choose. Personally I found FR to be the easiest and best one to start out with as it gets you ready for other gens but that's my oppinion. :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2012
    you should let her play

[SIZE="a"]I think you should let her play black version[/SIZE]

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Black, that's an easy choice that didn't take much thought at all.

1. As a new player, she'll need to be hooked and to get a player hooked showing her sub-par graphics or outdated games won't get her excited about the game. You'll probably want to show her the latest one you can get your hands on for the best chance of her enjoying it. Especially graphics; while FR/LG/Emerald are nice and all they're still graphics from 10 years ago.
    2. Black and White make a point of making things pretty easy for the player. Right before the Electric-type gym, a convenient desert with Ground types. A forest with fighting types right before the Normal type gym. Stuff like that happens throughout the entirety of the game.
    3. The plot is the most engaging. As current fans of Pokemon, we're used to the idea that there doesn't have to be much plot; we can easily accept the idea that "kid completes Pokedex, kid saves world" and move on. However, a newer fan will find that severely lacking and although every Pokemon game lacks in plot B/W is the best in that regard.

Hope that helped!

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2023
    Yeah, I'd say Black, for the same reasons Toujours described. In my experience Black was actually extremely easy; I didn't even lose a battle until after completing the story. But at the same time it was ridiculously fun and kept me hooked the whole way through... whereas all the other listed games, not so much. Even being a fan of Pokemon, I found myself getting bored and setting aside Gen 4 games for weeks. They feel slower-paced and tedious, especially compared to Gen 5, which may not make for a good first impression of Pokemon as a series. ... So yeah, I'd definitely recommend Black. :'D

~V~

"Winds of a New Beginning"
    Years
  • Maybe it's my nostalgic, but I would introduce her to FireRed/LeafGreen. With the Teachy TV and the Trainer Tips it should be easy for her to learn the basics. Just make sure she picks Bulbasaur.

Rather Zakki

Artist and Creator
    Years
    • Seen Apr 6, 2012
    I would say Black or White would be the best for a very new player. The games today really help the player out and make it easier for the player in the beginning game. It is really easy for new players, it even teaches you about type advantage at the first gym.

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
    Years
  • Fire Red and Leaf Green. They have the best tutorial out of all of them, plus the Teachy TV to help some more.

Years
  • Why is everybody saying Black is the easiest? I had to over-prepare for the PKMN League. Personally, I think that Platinum is the easiest. It shows all the interesting types of Pokemon in the Gyms and Elite Four, so you'll pretty easily learn what is super effective against what.
    And personally PKMN Platinum has a more interesting story line with Cyrus.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Not from the specified line-up the easiest Pokémon games are Gold, Silver & Crystal but from that selection I'd say FRLG, with RSE you have team magma & aqua, Steven etc. and in general it just seems more difficult when comparing to FRLG which isn't as respectable as RSE are but that's just my opinion.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I'd have to say Fire Red & Leaf Green. Too many tutorials to count and a wide amount of exceptional Pokes early on such as Mankey and Spearow to make progress relatively easy if not a walk in the park.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • Black, that's an easy choice that didn't take much thought at all.

1. As a new player, she'll need to be hooked and to get a player hooked showing her sub-par graphics or outdated games won't get her excited about the game. You'll probably want to show her the latest one you can get your hands on for the best chance of her enjoying it. Especially graphics; while FR/LG/Emerald are nice and all they're still graphics from 10 years ago.
    2. Black and White make a point of making things pretty easy for the player. Right before the Electric-type gym, a convenient desert with Ground types. A forest with fighting types right before the Normal type gym. Stuff like that happens throughout the entirety of the game.
    3. The plot is the most engaging. As current fans of Pokemon, we're used to the idea that there doesn't have to be much plot; we can easily accept the idea that "kid completes Pokedex, kid saves world" and move on. However, a newer fan will find that severely lacking and although every Pokemon game lacks in plot B/W is the best in that regard.

Hope that helped!

This. I voted on the poll yesterday evening, but I refrained from posting because it would require a wall of text and I was using PC through my mobile at work and I don't wanna get caught again XD

I found that B/W were very heavy on the explanations of game mechanics (in such a way that veterans wouldn't find annoying either). You'd literally have a run-in with Bianca, Cheren, or Prof. Juniper in every town and they'll give the player a subtle hint about what's ahead.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • FRLG. Your friend should start with the "base game", I mean, starting Pokémon with the 5th gen is not a good idea I think. 649 Pokémon is a lot to know if you just start, and I guess 1st gen Pokémon would more appeal to her.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • You're in the right place, don't worry.

Anyway, I would say FireRed. It has the Teachy TV in case she doesn't know what to do, and after all, it is in Kanto. Since you're skipping gen I, and I assume II as well, this would be the best place to start imo. Then you can go on to HGSS, RSE, DPPt (though if she makes it that far, I recommend Platinum over DP because of the speed), and BW. I hope she ends up enjoying Pokemon! :)

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    Well I say because she doesn't like game with bad graphics and IMO is B/W the best graphical pokemon games, and nintendo wanted a "re-start" with B/W for new fans of it. And like Toujours already stated it is very easy.

Back