• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Challenge] Egglocke Extravaganza (2021 Easter Event) ♥ Now open as a regular challenge!

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
Years
  • Eleanor's badge #3 - Platinum

So! Important things out of the way first: Jupiter was fine, with Phenac handling even Skuntank without trouble. I really have to thank Cubone for getting this far! Cycling Road was fine as well, once again thanks to Phenac's amazing ground and rock type attacks, and this also allowed me to reach Oreburgh and revive my fossil, as well as getting more encounters. From there, getting to Hearthome was quite easy too, with just a few more routes, trainers, and... Cyrus dialogue.

Only when I went back to train... something bad happened. Phenac was defeated, because of a wretched Self Destruct from a Hiker's Geodude. I was training with the Vs Seeker and what can I say, maybe this one guy was tired of getting defeated... still, that was a pretty big deal for my team. I somehow found different Pokémon to train up and try to replace Phenac, but at this point I have to admit that I have a pretty evident Electric weakness in my "team" and I'm not sure how to handle it...

One more reason to beat Fantina! I did it relatively easily with Metang taking some hits, Swellow getting deliberately burned (from Duskull) in order to activate Guts and KO Mismagius in just two hits (even with the Sitrus Berry), and finally Crobat dealing with Haunter. Now, time to move onwards and see what's coming... especially in terms of encounters, you know ^-^

By the way, here are all the new recruits!
    🎀 Oreburgh City - Shieldon → Kin, Drowzee
    🎀 Route 206 - Gligar → Shoal, Seel
    🎀 Route 208 - Budew → Couriway, Azurill
    🎀 Hearthome City - Eevee → Heahea, Skitty
    🎀 Wayward Cave - Geodude → Moon, Zubat
    🎀 Old Chateau - Gastly → Po, Skorupi

And so, the current team is...
    🎀 Wyndon, Munchlax, lv. 19, Pickup
    Lick, Curse, Amnesia, Double-Edge
    🎀 Moon, Crobat, lv. 31, Inner Focus
    Wing Attack, Faint Attack, Pursuit, Quick Attack
    🎀 Postwick, Swellow, lv. 27, Guts
    Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Mirror Move, Refresh
    🎀 Seafoam, Omanyte, lv. 30, Swift Swim
    Aurora Beam, Bubble Beam, Bite, Mud Shot
    🎀 Mossdeep, Metang, lv. 22, Clear Body
    Confusion, Metal Claw, Take Down
    🎀 Spikemuth, Mawile, lv. 20, Hyper Cutter
    Bite, Poison Fang, Swords Dance, False Swipe

And the deaths...
    🎗️ Indigo, Aerodactyl
    🎗️ Eterna, Oddish
    🎗️ Cianwood, Goldeen
    🎗️ Phenac, Cubone

mertis

the mert that was
    Years
    • him/he/them/they
    • canada
    • Seen Jul 18, 2021
    Im signing up!

Your name: mertis
    Your game of choice: Platinum
    Any optional rules: nope
    The best Easter Pokémon: Scorbunny

Just have to find out how to format like everyone else

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Your name: sydian
    Your game of choice: sapphire
    Any optional rules: no items in battle, held items and pokeballs are okay though
    The best Easter Pokémon: petilil! :) i know it's not an egg, but it's little and green and spring-y aha. or bunnelby. ig.

so question do we get to put an egg in our party after each catch? the only locke variant i've done is a wonderlocke and it was like that kinda, you caught the first pokemon on a route then wonder traded it and used whatever you got.

also i'm gonna stream myself playing this so my updates might be a little different than how i like to do them. which will drive me nuts tbh but it's okay aha. if anyone is bored, come watch.

edit: bro................i can't get it to work lmao but i'm not surprised bc i'm literally the least tech savvy millennial

Last edited:
    Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Very quick update! Will post smaller updates more frequently as opposed to writing a large update at the end.

Pokemon Ruby Egglocke - Update 1

• Started the game
    • Picked Torchic as my starter
    • Immediately boxed Torchic and hatched my first egg (Lychee the Lickitung)
    • Body slammed my rival's Pokemon into the ground so it died instantly :D
    • Caught a Zigzagoon and hatched my second egg (Matcha the Ralts)
    • Caught a Wurmple and hatched my third egg (Red Bean the Vulpix)
    • Caught a Shroomish and hatched my fourth egg (Durian the Bellsprout)
    • Made my way to Rustboro and caught a Taillow, hatching my fifth egg (Sesame the Sneasel)
    • Went ahead to the cave to get my encounter and caught a Whimsur, hatching my sixth egg and last team member for now (Pearl the Goldeen)
    • Beat up a lot of people/grinded against wild Pokemon until my Lickitung was Level 14 and on equal footing with Nosepass
    • Swept Roxanne with Lickitung's combo of Belly Drum + Magnitude, earning the first badge!
    • Went back to the cave and saved Peeko (WROOOOOOOAR PEEKO) and made my way down to Mr Briney's house to take the ship to Dewford
    • Got to Dewford to deliver the letter to Steven and headed up to the cave to get my encounter, caught a Makuhita and hatched my seventh egg, Cutie the Spheal (in the event I have to use Spheal and it dies I will be DEVASTATED)
    • Used the cave as an opportunity to level up a lot of my Pokemon to mostly Lvl 15 ~ 20 (sorry Bellsprout, it was too much effort to level you when you only knew Wrap!) to comfortably take on Brawly, evolved Matcha the Ralts into Kirlia
    • Went to the gym and got the second badge using a combo of Kirlia's Confusion and Goldeen's Psybeam! Got a lucky confusion on the Makuhita and it knocked itself out...
    • Got an Old Rod from the fisherman in Dewford and caught a Magikarp, hatching my eighth egg which was Marina the Staryu
    • Delivered the letter to Steven after trying to navigate the cave without Flash (it was a struggle) and then headed back to Petalburg City to use my Old Rod to catch another Magikarp and hatch my ninth egg which was Howl the Misdreavus
    • Went to Slateport City, got up to the house full of trainers before Slateport and decided to save - will come back to tonight after work!

So far no deaths but I see that changing very soon...

Current badges: 2

Current team as of my last save:
    Spoiler:

Eggs hatched in PC/in reserve:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Your name: sydian
    Your game of choice: sapphire
    Any optional rules: no items in battle, held items and pokeballs are okay though
    The best Easter Pokémon: petilil! :) i know it's not an egg, but it's little and green and spring-y aha. or bunnelby. ig.

so question do we get to put an egg in our party after each catch? the only locke variant i've done is a wonderlocke and it was like that kinda, you caught the first pokemon on a route then wonder traded it and used whatever you got.

also i'm gonna stream myself playing this so my updates might be a little different than how i like to do them. which will drive me nuts tbh but it's okay aha. if anyone is bored, come watch.

edit: bro................i can't get it to work lmao but i'm not surprised bc i'm literally the least tech savvy millennial

So you catch a Pokémon then go immediately swap it for an Egg of your choosing from the PC and have to use whatever hatches. At least that's what I've been doing oop.

------------------------------------------------

Rabinov's Egglocke Challenge - New Beginnings

So firstly this is going to be a HUGE update because I forgot to post about my initial run, but then I am going to try and summarise each playthrough as best as I can for you.

The Adventure Unfolds

We started off with what's normally a hard choice of which Starter to choose... however because this was going to be swapped out in about 5 minutes at Cherrygrove so we picked our first Pokémon which was NZ the Totodile! Setting off on our little jolly, we actually managed an entire 1 encounter before making it to Cherrygrove City, where we immediately swapped it out for what would be Saturn the Phanpy.

Turns out I got the worst luck here, as now the Rival (aptly named Serebii) has a Starter which still counters mine in Chikorita. However a few Body Slams later and the rest was history. Then it was back to Prof. Elm and we're finally off on our Egglocke adventure! First up on Route 29, we manage to swap out a Pidgey for Jupiter the Pineco! This actually had a great selection of moves, so training was nice and easy (especially as we could only give it 1 extra level...). Now we have specifically skipped route 46 for later on when we can approach it via Blackthorn City, to capitalise on those extra levels (as the Pokémon caught don't matter too much).

This means our next destination was Route 30, home of the ever infamous Youngster Joey. En route, we managed to catch a Caterpie and swap this out for Uranus the Buizel, which came with Headbutt! This comes in handy later on, you'll see why. After a quick dispatching of the Trainers en route, a bit of level grinding against hordes of Weedle and much perseverance we make it to Route 31 where... I decide to catch a Weedle of my own! This got transferred for an Egg which hatched as Mercury the Glameow! Again, due to what I can potentially get in Dark Cave, I have skipped it for now to return once I reach the higher level areas.

A Rose amongst the Violets - Gym #1

We finally made it to Violet City good and proper (rather than popping in to grab Eggs and hatching)! First up... yup it's time to check out all the available routes and get catching! First up we go to Route 32, where we encounter a Mareep which gets to live snugly in our PC whilst Neptune the SCYTHER(!!!!!) Definitely happy with this pick! Skipping merrily back to Violet City, I decided to take on the Sprout Tower (and most importantly get another Pokémon here), with my newfly found partner being able to make quick work of everything in there. We catch a Rattatta which gets converted into Venus the Chinchou! Unfortunately due to a detrimental Nature, Chinchou is going to be my Surf/Whirlpool/Waterfall/Flash slave and nothing more than that.

So we go into the Gym after some more grinding on Route 32 and... well we absolutely stomp it. Phanpy at this point knows Ancientpower and Rollout, so it was a case of throwing these moves out and everyone got flattened. One Zephyr Badge later and we're free to go! Stopping by the PokéMart means we get the fabled Mystery Egg and well... that's another Pokémon to swap out! In doing so, we receive Mars the Onix. I can't trade to evolve this so I am not interested, this will become another HM slave once needed.

With that, it's time to head to our next destination - Azalea Town!

One quick sprint down Route 32 gets us to Union Cave. Now I know from previous nuzlockes that this is a place with many levels and lots of higher level Pokémon later on, so with a bit of luck and the Repel that Saturn had picked up earlier, we manage to make it out of Union Cave without one encounter. Nice! We did however get Poisoned a lot by the Firebreather's Koffings... very annoying. Anyway we make it out to the other side and onto the rainy Route 33. An encounter with a Hoppip turns into us receiving Mars the Staryu (I named it Mars because I plan on actually using it unlike Onix). We have a nice team coming along here, looking like some very good prospects.

And with that, it's time to move on to Azalea Town!

Quit Buggin' Me, Man... Gym #2

Before we can do anything about Bugsy Malone in the Gym, we gotta deal with that shady guy standing by the well. Thankfully, the way to do that isn't to reason with him or even battle him, but instead send an angry old man to him, who then proceeds to fall down the Slowpoke Well and break his back. Perfect. Not that I care too much really. I'm here solely for the next Pokémon encounter, which turns out to be a Zubat which promptly gets swapped out for Ganymede the Lapras! Another amazing strong pick... with no attacking moves. Brilliant. That aside, we make short work of the Grunts and Proton, seeming as Phanpy yet again can deal with most of their Pokemon with ease and those that we couldn't, well Pineco cleared them up very nicely.

So the Slowpokes have been saved, so no more $1,000,000 SLOWPOKETAILS, yay! Time for the important stuff - the Gym!

But first... I decided to get ahead of myself and nab the next encounter in Ilex Forest, mostly because curiosity now has me in a vicegrip this Egglocke, I need to know what my next Pokémon will be! Unfortunately this blindsided me, as Serebii decided to show up and battle us! His Pokémon were much higher levels than mine! However, through love, perseverance, friendship and much better battling knowledge than the basic AI, I managed to beat him, leaving me free to roam Ilex Forest.

My encounter was almost instant, allowing me to catch a Kakuna which I promptly replaced with Titan the Squirtle! Lots of Water Types going on at the moment... hoping for some different Types before Olivine City that's for sure! Whilst I was here, I solved the Farfetch'd puzzle to avoid the headache later once I got the badge, received HM01 Cut and decided to do a bit more grinding as the Kakunas/Metapods gave some good experience.

I finally felt safe enough to walk through Azalea Town Gym's doors. As they closed behind me, it was time for a massacre. Saturn and Neptune took several names and gained some crucial levels for Bugsy. Bugsy proved to be a bit challenging, that Scyther hits like an absolute truck especially with the addition of U-Turn to its moveset in HGSS. Thankfully a 4x Rock weakness meant Saturn dispatched it quickly and earned me the Hive Badge. Great! As we had cleared Ilex Forest, it was a very quick beeline to Goldenrod City for us.

Speeding through Ilex Forest, we had just one route between us and the city lights - Route 34. Lots of nice high level Drowzee for easy experience, so I spent quite a bit of time levelling up here and most importantly - catching one! This netted me Earth the Shuppet, very handy for a bit later on in the game for sure! After a quick visit to the Day-Care, it was time to hit boulevards of Goldenrod City...

Seas of Gold in a Ship of Silver - Gym #3

So Goldenrod... a lot to unpack here. Firstly I went to the Radio Tower to get Whitney back into her Gym (acing the quiz of course!), before setting off to the many new opportunities presented to me. First up was Route 35, with its several trainers and more importantly, delicious EXP. Absolute chaos ensues as my team absolutely tear these trainers up, notably Mars got a nice chunk of experience after wiping out both the Magmars the Firebreather had. At the end of the route, we take a detour to the grass to catch a Nidoran (Male), which turned out to actually be Phobos the Shellos. Another Water Type, ahhh...

After that, we set foot into the National Park... and make a beeline straight for Route 36. We get a very nice level 15 Hoothoot which becomes... Deimos the Nidoran (Male), weird! There isn't much to do here, so I booked it back to National Park to do some levelling on Trainers and wild Pokémon alike. After a few battles, Neptune actually learns False Swipe, so catching Pokémon just became a whole lot easier! That said, I had another complication with his particular place...

As I was playing during nighttime, the encounter rates in National Park are set to nothing but Hoothoot, meaning I can't capture anything else until it is daytime. BUT this is where Uranus comes in! Remember that Uranus has Headbutt? It was time to put it to use! A few bashes later and an Exeggcute falls from the tree! After a difficult capture, we finally manage to get it and snag ourselves Charon the Spoink for our troubles, nice! That said, everything is currently explored that I want to and therefore it's time to go crush the Gym!

So this Gym... is notorious for Whitney the Gym Leader to have an exceptionally horrible ace in Miltank. It's bulky, strong and has access to what feels like 100% flinch rate in Stomp and a very dangerous move in Rollout, so it's key to dispose of it quick. After a very tough battle with Metronome Clefairy, it was time for the epic showdown. Saturn gets a great Body Slam in, paralysing the Miltank and therefore causing it all sorts of issues. Several rounds of paralysis later, Saturn delivers the final blow and defeats Whitney, earning us the Plain Badge.

And that's where the show currently stops! I'll be playing some more tomorrow, so expect a much shorter and sweeter update! Sorry for the lack of Pokémon details, however here is where I currently stand.

Rabinov
    Badges: 3
    Deaths: 0
    Pokémon Obtained: 14

Main Team:

Egglocke Extravaganza (2021 Easter Event) ♥ Now open as a regular challenge!

Saturn - Phanpy

Spoiler:

Ganymede - Lapras

Spoiler:

Phobos - Shellos

Spoiler:

Titan - Wartortle

Spoiler:

Neptune - Scyther

Spoiler:

Jupiter - Pineco

Spoiler:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i hope it's okay to ask here but is anyone using mgba for this? i don't rly know what i'm doing LOL my game and the sav file have the same name, but i can't seem to figure out how to get it to work and as far as i can tell, mgba doesn't create a battery folder like vba or openemu does.

Years
  • i hope it's okay to ask here but is anyone using mgba for this? i don't rly know what i'm doing LOL my game and the sav file have the same name, but i can't seem to figure out how to get it to work and as far as i can tell, mgba doesn't create a battery folder like vba or openemu does.
    I just test it and it seems you have to load the save via Load alternative save game option in File tab. Looks like you only have to do this once. It will keep using that save file even after restarting the rom.

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
  • Misty arc encounters:
    Spoiler:

Now that I got my first badge and can run (no, really), I made my way through Mt. Moon and grinded there while I was at it. The trip itself was rather uneventful... save for me losing Henry to a Rocket goon's Rattata. Dangit. 😡

I then decided to do Bill's stuff first as soon as I arrived at Cerulean. Not without da rival posing a challenge. To be fair though, I was way too underleveled with almost everyone at level 14 (and Sven still at level 11) by then. Everything went well, though. Dave was bulky enough to deal with Pidgeotto, Charles somehow managed to get through his Bulbasaur, Rupert single-handedly took the Rattata on, and Sven had his own moment with the Abra despite being way underleveled. Maybe because Abra can't even fend for themselves until they evolve...

Anyway, da rival finally let me pass. I got through the Nugget Bridge as well as the Route 25 maze to reach Bill's house. Helped him out from his own shenanigans and got this ship ticket in return. S.S. Anne, it said. But before that, gym time~

So I had to deal with Misty while being underleveled. Again. This time everyone were at level 17 and her Staryu was one level above them. Despite that, Burt's Magical Leaf tore through the Staryu easily. Her Starmie though, was a real tough cookie. Charles managed to plant a Leech Seed on the Starmie, but their Water Pulse forced me to sacrifice 4 potions... and Charles' life. Galeforce had to step in with a Spark, one more potion, and Charles' Leech Seed effect still on. Good thing that Starmie didn't have Rapid Spin tho. 😏

The Team
    Spoiler:

The Fallen Ones
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

mertis

the mert that was
    Years
    • him/he/them/they
    • canada
    • Seen Jul 18, 2021
    Gym 1, Roark

well, I beat him, somehow without any deaths, why not go through all my mons!
    My true starter is R.E.M the remoraid who has hustle, noooo right? WRONG, rem hit all but one of her attacks, absolute legend. Almost died to a crit rock throw however, but she's fine :D

Second up is venny, the venonat, she really didn't do much however, even killed 2 of my encounters D: I'll keep her on the team however til I get someone to replace her, due to my options being worse than her

Third is barber the barboach, she hasn't done much tbh, so we'll skip over her

Fourth is burbs the burmy, needless to say I boxed it.

Fifth is shin the chinchou, killed a decent amount of pokes, so I'll keep her!

Sixth is pika the pichu, boxed.

Seventh is chimy the chimchar now monferno, I got this right before roark and haven't used it much, but it looks very VERY promising, thunder and fire punch, with double kick and mach punch, defo staying on the team!

And least but not least is snom the snover, haven't used her much, but like monferno, looks promising!

Team is snom, chimy, barber, venny, REM and shin!

Thats it for now, hope nobody dies, and see you next time!

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I just test it and it seems you have to load the save via Load alternative save game option in File tab. Looks like you only have to do this once. It will keep using that save file even after restarting the rom.

i've tried that too, but i keep getting a white screen. when i say i'm bad at tech y'all like. i really mean it. i think tech doesn't like me LOL

edit: got it working it was a setting that i didn't even know about that had to be changed so i DID follow the instructions right and i'm not crazy there was just a step that my dumb emulator had apparently

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey y'all.

So I originally signed up for this challenge with FireRed, but it started to not open for some reason so I switched to LeafGreen. Hopefully I won't have the same issues.

Anyway, sorry I am not good at CSS so my updates are going to be boring text lol. I started up LG and my first egg hatch was Absol! A pretty cool starter if you ask me. I don't have a naming scheme, just whatever comes to my mind really lol. Anyway, there are quite a few encounters before Brock, and was able to hatch more eggs and get a full team.

I hatched:
    Brittany the Koffing
    King the Cacnea
    Dot the Wooper
    Scarlet the Skarmory
    Banana the Tropius

Honestly, pretty interesting hatches. Really excited about Absol and Skarmory, I love them.

Brock was easy with Tropius, as I had Razor Leaf. With that, we have our first badge with no deaths so far!

And here is a look at the team, a bit after Brock:

Since I am still in early game, my next update will hopefully have more to report on :)​

Years

• Rabinov's Egglocke Challenge - An Adventure Most Exciting

The House on the Haunted Hill - Gym #4

So picking up from where we left off... oh right, Goldenrod City! So firstly I remembered I hadn't actually got the Bike yet, so I made a beeline for that, grabbing it for the very expensive price of Exposure™. My first stop was the Flower Shop where I picked up the SquirtBottle, as we'll be needing this very soon.

Now the handy thing of clearing out the routes BEFORE doing the Gym is that we've cleared the way for times like now, when we can just speed through to Route 36, where we can now finally progress! We dowsed down the weird tree... and realised something catastrophic. Because I'd already captured a Pokémon here, I couldn't abuse the free 20 levels by catching this Sudowoodo!!!! ANYONE PLAYING HGSS HEED THIS WARNING AND DO NOT GET OVEREAGER AND CATCH ANYTHING ON ROUTE 36!

So instead the ~380 EXP went to Phobos. We explored the area for items and then made our way straight to Ecruteak via Route 37, picking up a Vulpix which turned into Castillo the Swablu! With that out of the way, it was time to see what new joys Ecruteak would bring.

First up - you know the drill by now - it's time to explore those lovely new Routes and see what we get! I immediately crash into Route 38 (BEST THEME EVER) and grab myself a Meowth, trading it in for Pluto, a Nidoran (Female) Egg, neat! I decide to actually avoid the Trainer encounters this time, just in case the Pokémon I get here are ones I want to train up instead. That said, I flew straight to Route 39 to catch another Pokémon, this time Magnemite, which allowed me to obtain Moon the Bellsprout as my new partner. I know these are both Stone evolutions which I don't want to really waste my time with, so unfortunately these are going straight into the reserve.

That's one side down - one more to go! Thankfully not much going on here at the moment so I just popped into Mt. Mortar and decided to grab the encounter, being a Machop. From this I got Sirius the... Absol!!!!! Nice!!! Time to go stomp on Morty with my newfound Pokémon, can't wait!

Firstly that means paying the Burned Tower a visit, where sure enough we find our good friend Eusine, Morty and most importantly... Serebii. Itching for a fight, I immediately take him on, crushing him (although annoying the EXP got shuffled around thanks to him ACTIVELY SWITCHING POKÉMON) and making him realise how stupid he is. After a REALLY important phone call, being this:

We clear out the Burned Tower so we don't have to revisit it for a while and instead make our way over to the Dance Theater, where we take out the Grunt with ease (as in... we one-shot his Pokémon) to gain the HM Surf! This immediately goes onto all of the Pokémon that can learn it as it's such a good move and then it's time to chance our arm at the Gym!

Well... we would've struggled normally as we're currently about 4-7 levels below BUT with Sirius as our new addition we literally stormed the entire Gym with literally no sweat at all and gladly received the Fog Badge from Morty. Considering I caught this at level 14, Sirius now sits as my highest level team member at level 24! An absolute powerhouse, I'm super glad I managed to catch it. Now with Surf at our disposal AND Ecruteak defeated, it was time to continue our journey.

Burning Fighting Spirit - Gym #5

Again with a Gym defeated we go explore all those possibilities before we go whomp the next Gym Leader, so let's go! First stop - Route 42! Now we have access to Surf, we can go all the way from Ecruteak to Mahogany, however I was only interested in the water tbh. The Goldeen can spawn at very high levels here and I got very lucky managing to snag a level 23 Goldeen which I traded out for Atlas the Cranidos, very chuffed with that. This would become especially beneficial for Pryce so yet again another nice solid pick for the team!

That said... well we mostly cleared everything else out so I guess it's time to rush to Olivine City and see what's up!

We make quick work of the Trainers we had left earlier on Routes 38 and 39, I decided that Saturn was a little weak so needed to bolster them up with all of the EXP, only 2 levels away now! Now I'm curcumventing Olivine and making my way straight to Cianwood City, so it was time to take to the water and rule the... er just that one Sea actually. I immediately jump in and grab a nice level 25 Tentacool which gets swapped for Castor the Shinx. Well I guess I just found what I'm levelling on the way to Cianwood then! With access to all 3 Elemental Fang moves and almost towards a Luxray evolution, I was super stoked about this pick.

Route 41... well THAT was horrendous but I guess good at the same time. As the only two Pokémon I can catch here are Tentacool and Tentacruel... I had to wait until I hit the "40%" chance that Tentacruel spawned. This was about 30 minutes of grinding, which hey it evolved Castor into a Luxray and got some much needed levels on Neptune/Jupiter, but man this was a drag. Reluctantly (because I love Tentacruel), I swapped out my catch for Io the Slakoth. Well this would be another HM Slave if required, I could not be bothered to deal with Truant, no thank you!

With that over however it was full steam ahead to Cianwood City!

First off, we go grab ourselves the free Pokémon waiting for us in the house directly below the Gym. Make space in your team and grab the level 20 Shuckle - I did and as a result, gained Europa the Snorunt. But this was no ordinary Snorunt... check it out!

A shiny! And a great one at that too, so pretty. USELESS for the current Gym but Europa will be a permanent team member moving forward for sure. Now with everything else out of the way, it was time to take down Chuck for Badge #5. Again we had just the perfect Pokémon for this: Neptune. Wing Attack tore through every single Trainer and Chuck himself, whilst their Fighting moves made barely a dent. 2 minutes later and we were the proud owners of Badge #5 - the Storm Badge!

That concludes our run for today, tomorrow we'll be aiming to get to Blackthorn City, let's see how we do!

-----------------------------

Rabinov
    Badges: 5
    Deaths: 0
    Pokémon Obtained: 23

New Additions:

Castillo - Swablu
    Pluto - Nidoran (Female)
    Moon - Bellsprout
    Sirius - Absol
    Atlas - Cranidos
    Castor - Shinx (now a Luxray)
    Io - Slakoth
    Europa - Snorunt (Shiny)

Current Team:

Last edited:

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
  • Dear everyone who wanna play FRLG here (or perhaps have already done so), apparently all non-Kanto dex mons can't evolve until you get the national dex. I've tried to evolve one of my mons but just can't because of that.

And dear host, can we use the national dex cheat for that purpose alone? I mean, it only can normally work in the post-game, so...

Years
  • Dear everyone who wanna play FRLG here (or perhaps have already done so), apparently all non-Kanto dex mons can't evolve until you get the national dex. I've tried to evolve one of my mons but just can't because of that.

And dear host, can we use the national dex cheat for that purpose alone? I mean, it only can normally work in the post-game, so...
    Of course. I must have missed this detail when creating saves for FRLG.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • so technically my run is over because my first hatch was magikarp. i clipped it, for anyone wondering how that went lol. language and volume warning srry headphone uses.

so anyway...attempt 2 ended up going way better. i had a few scares mostly after i got to the area with whismurs, but overall, not too bad. just one badge so far, i didn't play super long bc i was Hungry u kno. my first hatch this time around was staryu and it learns water gun really quickly and has decent defense for early on. but here, i'll just show you where i'm at aha. needless to say, we beat roxanne with relative ease.

magikarp lv. 12
    illuminate
    tackle / harden / water gun / rapid spin

whitney lv. 7
    thick fat
    seismic toss / reversal / present / endure

edgar lv. 14
    sand veil
    leech seed / acid / grasswhistle / bullet seed

wonka lv. 8
    static
    rolling kick / karate chop / barrier / meditate

needles lv. 12
    shed skin
    stockpile / swallow / bite / body slam

boring lv. 10
    rock head
    rock slide / mud sport / mega punch / block

box:

rip:
    none

Just defeated Tate and Liza and earned seventh badge.

My Current Team:-
    Spoiler:

I am following a Symmetrical pattern which I made in the starting, my custom rule to withdraw pokemons:-

Each large square represents the 6 boxes and the orange small boxes represent the pokemon I am going to withdraw in order from box 1-6 whenever I caught a new pokemon.

My hatched Pokemons till now, 2 are being hatched:-

My best-trained pokemons that can be replaced with my current team in the Elite Four if any RIP:-

My Pokemon timeline:-
    Spoiler:

I am doing speedrun now, with my emulator's default speed set to 300%.

Years

• Janp's Eggcellent Egglocke Eggventure

Let's start with encounters this time:
    Route 32 - Rattata - actually 16th egg from 6th box containing Merak, the male Gligar
    Union Cave - Geodude - actually 16th egg from 6th box containing Carinae, the female Absol
    Route 33 - Spearow - actually 28th egg from 3rd box containing Caph, the female Carvanha
    Slowpoke Well - Zubat - actually 28th egg from 6th box containing Leonis, the female Seel

Anyway, while watching Sydian's last stream, which included nice feedback on how to word our next event, I continued my own journey. Deneb evolved, so I could finally use it properly. I got Merak on Route 32 and it quickly became one of my most used Pokémon for this part. Acrux became another really good Pokémon after he learned Astonish. And with Pollux covering their backs, I became basically unbeatable. I switched my team a little bit after getting Carinae and Caph, but I haven't used them that much.

I had to make sure I won't overlevel Merak for Bugsy, because he was my main weapon against him, so I used my other Pokémon. I love my team. I quickly beat Team Rocket with Pollux and even beat Jamp with underleveled Pollux and Carinae. Then I heard what Sydian thinks about Tropius and I have to officially ban them from PC for it. Sorry!

Bugsy's Gym wasn't hard, since I had Wing Attack on Merak. He slashed his way through the whole Gym and easily beat his Scyther and cocoons. I really have to use other Pokémon next. And I'll hopefully hatch Fighting-type Pokémon for Whitney's Gym. Because otherwise it will be hard to beat.

Last edited:

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
  • Minor update: just got around to hack the national dex into my savefile. I did that because I'm in the S.S. Anne right now and the cheats I had found are only usable after a woman at Celadon (iirc) gives the player some tea for the Saffron guards. Will give a more detailed update after getting my third badge.

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • Eleanor's badge #4 - Platinum

This is when a lot of routes open up and trainers start getting more intense! I tried to skip most of them at first and train on wild Pokémon for a bit, but eventually I was able to confidently go against most trainers on Route 210 and 215 with my Pokémon - always knowing that I could count on Crobat, of course! I already used Crobat many times in different runs and I have to say, I'm feeling a bit guilty for relying on it so much even then, but it's undeniable that it's such a valuable Pokémon to keep around!
    Route 214 and 213 were a bit harder to explore but still manageable, whereas Route 212 - the one I explored last - proved to be a nice experience boost for Maylene more than anything. I'm struggling to find more good places for the Vs Seeker though...

Of course, it also doesn't help that these areas are not exactly the best to grind on wild Pokémon... and of course, I had to learn it the hard way by letting a Graveler use Self Destruct on me. And of course it was a Critical hit and of course it was on Mossdeep so... of course I had to lose an amazing Pokémon like that. Might as well get used to it.

Many of the new catches proved to be quite useful though - and of course, there's a lot to go through! I got my first Electric type, for example, in the form of Sunyshore, and a couple more Pokémon that could easily rival Metang in terms of strength! Let's welcome them all:
    🎀 Route 209 - Staravia → Outrage, Mantyke
    🎀 Route 210 - Scyther → Mortar, Slugma
    🎀 Route 215 - Marill → Rocky, Mankey
    🎀 Solaceon Ruins - Unown → Pyrite, Tyrogue
    🎀 Veilstone City - Porygon → Lentimas, Trapinch
    🎀 Route 214 - Graveler → Coronet, Larvitar
    🎀 Ruin Maniac Cave - Geodude → Olivine, Totodile
    🎀 Valor Lakefront - Girafarig → Viridian, Spearow
    🎀 Route 213 - Shellos → Sunyshore, Elekid
    🎀 Route 212 - Kirlia → Valor, Houndour
    🎀 Trophy Garden - Roselia → National, Yanma
    🎀 Pastoria City - Magikarp → Blackthorn, Dratini

Yes I haven't been to the Great Marsh yet (which I will likely count as just one encounter anyways) because... look, I'm just pretty scared of going in there and losing encounters :)) Maybe I will soon, hoping for something easy to catch like a Wooper, but you never know! As for the other encounters... yeah, I can't complain now, can I? Elekid especially is going to be great against Crasher Wake and basically any Gyarados ever ^-^

Oh, right, the Maylene fight... well, probably as some sort of karma for losing Mossdeep, that fight was ended in 3 turns: two Wing Attacks from Crobat, and a crit Mach Punch from my Hitmonchan into Lucario! Hitmonchan (the only possible evolution for my Tyrogue, given I had no items such as Calcium to influence the stats and the nature was Calm or something silly like that...) did great :)

And so, the current team is...
    🎀 Wyndon, Snorlax, lv. 28, Immunity
    Lick, Curse, Amnesia, Double-Edge
    🎀 Moon, Crobat, lv. 34, Inner Focus
    Wing Attack, Faint Attack, Mean Look, Quick Attack
    🎀 Postwick, Swellow, lv. 29, Guts
    Wing Attack, Quick Attack, Mirror Move, Defog
    🎀 Seafoam, Omanyte, lv. 31, Swift Swim
    🎀 Pyrite, Hitmonchan, lv. 31, Keen Eye
    High Jump Kick, Mach Punch, Mind Reader, Thunder Punch
    🎀 Sunyshore, Elekid, lv. 27, Static
    Thunder Punch, Low Kick, Meditate, Light Screen

And the deaths...
    🎗️ Indigo, Aerodactyl
    🎗️ Eterna, Oddish
    🎗️ Cianwood, Goldeen
    🎗️ Phenac, Cubone
    🎗️ Mossdeep, Metang

Last edited:

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
  • Eleanor's badge #5 - Platinum

So... nothing to report here? I just did some nice grinding thanks to the Vs Seeker, the brand new Fly HM, and the Valor Lakefront restaurant thingy, while also trying to raise some new members (for example, getting back to Abundance so that I could evolve her, and training up that Hoppip from the beginning of the game so that I could have a Grass type for Wake's Quagsire). Barry went down pretty easily, mostly thanks to Sunyshore - who's now an Electabuzz - and Wake followed soon after!

Pyrite took care of Gyarados, although Waterfall brought him down to half health (that was scary, a crit could've been pretty bad there) with two Thunder Punches - then Sunyshore, with her two stronger Thunder Punches, took down the level 37 (!!) Floatzel without trouble. I think it used Crunch or something but it didn't do much damage. And finally, Quagsire went down unceremoniously with Azalea's Sleep Powder and two Mega Drains.
    Yes, Jumpluff sure isn't that good with 55 attacking stats, but... ever since I tried to use one in Pokémon Reborn, I've really started to appreciate it more. Sure, Cottonee and Whimsicott outclass it in some ways, but they don't exist in Platinum to begin with so... yeah, I'm glad I could give Jumpluff some time to shine! Same goes for Hitmonchan actually, although it seems I'm not the only one who's using one... <3

The current team is...
    🎀 Abundance, Grumpig, lv. 32, Thick Fat
    Extrasensory, Substitute, Trick, Future Sight
    🎀 Moon, Crobat, lv. 34, Inner Focus
    Wing Attack, Faint Attack, Fly, Quick Attack
    🎀 Azalea, Jumpluff, lv. 34, Chlorophyll
    Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, Mega Drain, Confusion
    🎀 Seafoam, Omanyte, lv. 32, Swift Swim
    🎀 Pyrite, Hitmonchan, lv. 34, Keen Eye
    High Jump Kick, Mach Punch, Mind Reader, Thunder Punch
    🎀 Sunyshore, Electabuzz, lv. 35, Static
    Thunder Punch, Low Kick, Meditate, Light Screen

Might switch some stuff around because Route 210 North scares me.

And the deaths, which I'm proud to say haven't been any more since last time...
    🎗️ Eterna, Oddish - vs. Roark's Cranidos
    🎗️ Cianwood, Goldeen - vs. Roark's Cranidos
    🎗️ Indigo, Aerodactyl - vs. Mars's Purugly
    🎗️ Phenac, Cubone - vs. some Hiker's Self Destructing Geodude :)
    🎗️ Mossdeep, Metang - vs. a wild Graveler's crit Self Destruct :)

Back