• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Epic Fails You've Made In A Game?

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
Years
  • What ridiculously stupid things have you done in a Pokemon game? Have you gotten stuck on something simple, traded a rare Pokemon on accident, or any other strange blunders? This is the place to 'fess up!

For me, it would have to have been when I started Platinum, and I couldn't figure out how to get to Oreburgh. It was my first game though, so I guess I shouldn't be so hard on myself. Also in Platinum, I wouldn't go up to Roark in the mine because I thought his OWS was a female mining trainer. Look, if you're a tough miner guy, don't have long pink hair, okay?

Anyway, have fun! And don't make fun of other peoples' fails.

Last edited:

ShadowStriatonTriad

Shadow Triad Elite
    Years
  • I got Zekrom for a mystery gift then accidently deleted the game. I've also accidently used my master ball on a Tranquil because I pressed too quick and had to reset to last save point to get it back -.-

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I used up my Master Ball on Dialga back in Diamond and found it nearly impossible to catch Mesprit and Cresselia at the time.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • In Pearl, I had a chain of like 80+ and I kept capturing shiny Ponyta. At like the 5th shiny Ponyta, I guess my mind went blank and I KO'd it. :/ I didn't rage over it because I got like 7 shiny Ponyta that day, haha.

In White, I traded over a Dive Ball and cloned the item until I had 30. I wanted to catch Zekrom in a Dive Ball. He got in the first Dive Ball... This kind of stuff happens a lot when I am most prepared. I have the worst luck when I am under prepared. The legendary will NEVER get in the desired poke ball. In Sapphire, I had too few Dive Balls and a shiny Kyogre was about to Struggle itself to death. :/ I ended up using Master Ball on it.

In Blue, I got stuck on finding Surf in the Safari Zone. I legit trained my team up to 70 (most people used the Missingno glitch at this point). I was stuck for months. I always made it to the last (and correct) floor but I didn't have enough sense to just walk in that house, lol. My neighbor later got it for me when I let him borrow Blue for the night. I would've never beaten the game or continue on with the Pokemon series if he didn't get me the HM I needed to progress. n_n;

That's all the derps I can remember right now...

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2012
    I caught Mewtwo in Pokemon Yellow with an Ultra ball (after many, many, many throws). I didn't realise that the Master Ball was 1005 catch rate, and just thought it was some cool item I'd need, so it never occurred to me to use it..

pknight96

Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism
    Years
  • In Pokemon Crystal, I accidently used my Masterball on a Spinarak...and I couldn't get it back 'cause I just caught a Shiny Hoothoot before it, and hadn't saved. :'(

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I Master Balled Kyogre in Sapphire. I could've just kept going with the other balls, but I had no other choice; it was too hard to catch. When I saw Latias post-game, it kept running away from me, making it even harder to catch than usual, so I had to KO it.

Years
  • Using Master Ball on my mascot Legendary. I facepalmed when I realized I could have just used Ultra Balls.

Years
  • I like how the trend of this thread right now is the misuse of the Master Ball lol.

My biggest blunder was shutting off the game on a shiny Abra because I thought that it was a glitch and cherished my file on Gold too much to risk losing anything. I'm sure there are more than that, that was the biggest blunder I could recall though.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    I like how the trend of this thread right now is the misuse of the Master Ball lol.

Well, mine is also about a Master Ball ;)

I thought I could only catch Mewtwo with a master ball untill I went to cerulean cave in SS, and caught it with three ultra balls.

Surprise! :|

EDIT: Also, I caught a tentacruel with my master ball in pokemon crystal, just because I was like 6 or something and I was a complete noob.

Last edited:

Kyrul

Long Live The Note
    Years
  • I found a shiny oddish once, didn't realize it was shiny and fainted it. Ever since then I have never found a shiny pokemon again D:

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    I'm the kind of person who likes to plan out my team in relative detail prior to actually (re)playing a game. So, one time, I started a new game (can't recall which specifically. It was probably Ruby), and I easily made my way through most of it without any problems. Then I went to catch the last member of my team and after 30 minutes running through grass, I was unable to find any of the Pokemon I wanted. I went to search why that was the case - maybe I was in the wrong route, or it was just incredibly rare.

And it turned out I was using the wrong version the whole time, and the Pokemon I was trying to get was a version exclusive. I also had no one to trade with at the time. Ugh.

There's also this lovely little battle story I posted on a previous thread:
    One relatively recent mistake I made was in my first playthrough of HeartGold:

"Oh, I know! I'll confuse Whitney's Miltank with my Gastly! All she can hit me with is Rollou--"
    Miltank used Stomp! Gastly fainted!
    "What. Why did-- oh. Scrappy. durr."​

Indeed.

TheFallenUmbreon

Dreams shall never fall...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    Hahaha xD My first time playing Pokemon, I used the master ball to catch a Wailmer EPIC FAIL

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I accidentally released my Flareon on level 84 in Yellow, the one that won me the Elite Four, that defeated Mewtwo, and had become my best friend. ;;

Another is Morty's Gym in G/S/C. Good Lord, that thing confused the Hell out of me. Not only that, but I didn't even know they made guides at the time to help you. I was stuck for a freaking YEAR at that ONE Gym, my Pokemon ALREADY AT LEVEL 50+, because I believed that only a team of all level 50 Pokemon could get you through, and turns out, all I had to do was walk in an "s" shaped formation. I was beyond angry.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2013
    Worst moment was after finally catching Rayquaza in Ruby for the first time, flying back to Lillycove, then quitting, only to realize I forgot to save. I was just about to fling my GBA at a wall.

lucariopulse333

Yeah you
    Years
    • Age 27
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 26, 2019
    3 derps:

In my Pokemon gold, I had been searching for ho-oh for ages and just caught a spearow with a masterball -.- I was a child and noobish XD

In gold/silver I found a shiny Flaffey but had no Poke balls on me so I ran, bought some Poke balls and searched for it for half an hour. I wondered why I could never find it XD

In my sapphire I FINALLY caught a Feebas! I looked at it and it had pokerus! I panicked and then check my beloved Swampert. HE HAD IT TOO! I thought it was a terrible virus on my Pokemon so I turned off my game.

My first playthrough on Sapphire all I had was a Swampert. I trained it up to level 100 at victory road before the elite four. (I don't have the patience to do that anymore). That's why I didn't trust the Pokerus on my Swampert XD

Zayphora

Don't mess with the lights...
    Years
  • I keep forgetting all these fails. I got SO confused in the distortion world in Platinum, I kept pushing the stupid boulders in the wrong places. I SR'd like three times which meant I had to rebattle the two grunts and Mars and Jupiter AGAIN. I eventually watched a walkthrough video and did it right. Lol.

Back