• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Et tu, {username}?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteriousUser94

Et tu ???
    If it's French, it's "Est-tu {username} ?"
    If it's not French, what's the language of this ? (Or the meaning.)

Years
  • I may not know the language, but it's just one of those cool welcome messages you'll see at the top everytime you browse PC while logged-in. They actually change every time you refresh or enter a new page and some are even references to movies, TV shows and video games (especially Pokemon) for that extra touch.

You should definitely give credit to those who came up with them, and the admins (duh) for the implementation of it. I think it's a nice feature we have that most other forums don't.

Edit: Oh wait it's Latin for "And you". Never knew that hahahaha.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    I think it's meant to be "And you, <username>?" instead of "Are you <username>?", so it would be correct in French.

Years
  • Geez guys, this is an English forum. :P You really can't expect people here to be fluent in other languages to know better. Besides, not all greet messages up top are meant to say "hello, username!" or "Welcome, username!" either.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    If so, the correct meaning would be "Et toi, <username>?"

Okay, I believe you're right, not sure about Canadian French, though. I've just googled "Et tu" and I got the latin phrase "Et tu, Brute?" as one of the results, so this welcome message makes more sense now, at least for me.

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Okay, I believe you're right, not sure about Canadian French, though. I've just googled "Et tu" and I got the latin phrase "Et tu, Brute?" as one of the results, so this welcome message makes more sense now, at least for me.

Ah Latin. I get it clearer now.

GarlandDaHero

Cute Noivern is Cute.
    Years
  • Yeah it's definitely a reference to Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. Latin, not French.

And then all of us who thought it was french facepalmed.

Wait, that's latin? What does it translate to?

EDIT: Never mind, it's basically the same thing as the french phrase "Et toi?"/Whatever is french for "And you?".

MysteriousUser94

So it's Latin. Thank you :3 (It's a dead language so I hadn't thought about it x))

Edit : In French, «And you, Nyanyanya ?» => «Et toi, Nyanyanya ?»
    «And you eat» => «Et tu manges»

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • I always thought it was "you too, <name>?" referring to when Julius Caesar says that before he dies. Apparently he was betrayed by a someone he thought was a friend.
    Actually it was that he was realizing that if even Brutus was doing it there must have been some merit to the act. It was the last knife to stab him. When he saw Brutus was part of it he said "Et tu, Brute?" Or "you too? Guess I screwed up." And then he died.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back