• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Event] Game Making Competition

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
Years
  • I'm just keeping tab on this thread because it's interesting.
    But why do you have your own ideas for people to make their game on? They're like essay prompts
    It will take away the creativity people want in a game. The idea that you made it yourself.
    Uniquenessyess :[

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • Is it too late to enter? I hope not. In any case, I'll start up, even if I'm behind a day :)

EDIT: Are we allowed to take resources from the RTP and move them to different folders for use in different ways?

Last edited:

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • "You have until midnight at the end of Tuesday 31st August 2010 (i.e. end of the month) to send your game to me."

midnight on tuesday the 31st in which timezone, though? I don't want to think it'll end later or earlier than it will, and end up with less time than the others to finish, or miss the deadline altogether :(

DarkDoom3000

Super Pokemon Eevee Edition
    Years
  • I'm just keeping tab on this thread because it's interesting.
    But why do you have your own ideas for people to make their game on? They're like essay prompts
    It will take away the creativity people want in a game. The idea that you made it yourself.

Agreed... fixed scenerios are contridicting the creative nature.

Xaviar

I left my brain in its jar
    Years
  • Not sure who else has started yet, but in terms of generic status updates I have my first map laid out :) Although I'll probably end up redoing it by the end >.>

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
  • I've got three done, but one doesn't really count... for the sake of anonymity I guess I can't explain further ^^;

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I was just asking if you meant only one scenario or at least one scenario. If clarifying something is against the rules, then I'm guilty as charged.

Edit: I think some tiles are missing from the exterior tileset, namely the castle wall/roof tiles from the Castle tileset. Also, a couple tilesets are missing from the inner, like Sewer, Cave of Ice et al., and Inner Organism. I'm going to patch them into the bottom of the respective tilesets (to avoid messing up any already-complete work), should I upload them back up here then?
    Oh well. It's set now, and I'm not going to change the rules/tilesets in the middle of the competition. Future competitions can put more preparation into it (and may well provide a large range of tilesets to use, if indeed they'll restrict them at all).

For the sake of fairness, I should warn you that when I delete any custom data from the games, I won't try fixing anything to make it work anyway. If your game happens to crash immediately (or indeed, can't compile) because it's missing some data, that's what you'll be judged on. So I would advise you don't mess with what you've been given.

I'm just keeping tab on this thread because it's interesting.
    Firstly, I've given several possibilities (one of which, the dating sim, can have any kind of plot at all). Secondly, they're brief overviews of plots, not rigid structures with no room to breathe. Thirdly, I believe it takes just as much imagination to come up with a unique plot/game that stands out while also following a couple of guidelines as it does to make a completely free-form one (it's all in the interpretation).

Fourthly, it's my competition, and I'll do what I want. :P

Is it too late to enter? I hope not. In any case, I'll start up, even if I'm behind a day :)

EDIT: Are we allowed to take resources from the RTP and move them to different folders for use in different ways?
    You can enter whenever you want.

Regarding moving resources around, I would have to say no. The RTP stays where it is. What were you intending, anyway?

"You have until midnight at the end of Tuesday 31st August 2010 (i.e. end of the month) to send your game to me."

midnight on tuesday the 31st in which timezone, though? I don't want to think it'll end later or earlier than it will, and end up with less time than the others to finish, or miss the deadline altogether :(
    GMT. Sorry, I was going to specify that, but forgot. Although if you're planning to leave it that close, don't complain if there's an uploading problem and you miss the deadline. ;)

For comparison, this post was made at 6:19pm GMT.

Xaviar

Years
  • Oh well. It's set now, and I'm not going to change the rules/tilesets in the middle of the competition. Future competitions can put more preparation into it (and may well provide a large range of tilesets to use, if indeed they'll restrict them at all).

For the sake of fairness, I should warn you that when I delete any custom data from the games, I won't try fixing anything to make it work anyway. If your game happens to crash immediately (or indeed, can't compile) because it's missing some data, that's what you'll be judged on. So I would advise you don't mess with what you've been given.

So if I re-import commonly-used characters so I don't have to scroll through the list, you would delete those from the folder?

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    All right, so on this point:

"Switch control between two characters at least once during the game."

Does this mean only two, or more?

Because if it's only two, I have a problem.
    The "at least once" is the important part. You can change control from Adam to Bob, then Bob to Charlie, then Charlie to Adam, then Adam to Dave, and so on and so forth. As long as there's at least one change of character, it's fine (it's even better if there's a good reason for it, of course).

So if I re-import commonly-used characters so I don't have to scroll through the list, you would delete those from the folder?
    I honestly don't think that's a big enough issue to warrant changing the rules. I've already said the RTP stays where it is.

The rules are very straightforward. I'll delete anything that isn't a custom title screen or the two provided tilesets. Just assume that means what it says.

Years
  • By 'switching to another character', would making you appearance switch with that of another character's, but your personality/abilities/etc. stay the same still count?

Anyway, I think I might give this a shot. It'd make a change from ROM Hacking. <:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Hmm, probably not. A change of clothes a different character does not make.

Xaviar

Years
  • The rules are very straightforward. I'll delete anything that isn't a custom title screen or the two provided tilesets. Just assume that means what it says.

Then could you add that to the post that you put all the other rules in? Because it's not stated in there, you said it in a different post. Making people read every single one of your posts just to make sure their game doesn't break when you go through it is a bit unreasonable.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • GMT, alright. I'm not planning on waiting until the last minute, I just like to know the specific deadline. thanks for clarifying :)

alright, time to get this thing started!

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    This could be taken several ways. ;)

A Red Herring mayhap?
    What ways could you take "no monster fighting"? Maybe that fighting people is still allowed?

No, by that rule I mean no battling at all is allowed. It's probably best suited for the dating sim setting, although any puzzle game could incorporate it quite easily.

As for the herring, red herrings are still herrings (as long as they actually are herrings, not figurative false leads). You need a fish in your game, basically.

Poeman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Nov 1, 2012
    No monster fighting... hey maybe rock paper scissors shoot battles ;)

Xaviar

Years
  • What ways could you take "no monster fighting"? Maybe that fighting people is still allowed?

No, by that rule I mean no battling at all is allowed. It's probably best suited for the dating sim setting, although any puzzle game could incorporate it quite easily.

As for the herring, red herrings are still herrings (as long as they actually are herrings, not figurative false leads). You need a fish in your game, basically.

(it's all in the interpretation).

If it's all in the interpretation, why are you interpreting it for us? Not to mention the closest thing to a herring in the RTP is a wooden fish in one of the tilesets. You can't be ambiguous in your original rules, and now decide to be specific.

Regarding moving resources around, I would have to say no. The RTP stays where it is. What were you intending, anyway?

And what's so wrong with taking parts of the RTP and moving them around? It's STILL the RTP. I can't even turn an icon into a picture without worrying about my game breaking. You didn't address this in the original rules, so it should be allowed to move pieces of the RTP around.

GMT. Sorry, I was going to specify that, but forgot. Although if you're planning to leave it that close, don't complain if there's an uploading problem and you miss the deadline. ;)

Not to mention you posted the rules at midnight GMT on August 2nd, but that's a small complaint. One day could make a difference though...

Also, please address this because I'm sick of you changing (oh, I mean interpreting) the rules and not revising your rule post.

Then could you add that to the post that you put all the other rules in? Because it's not stated in there, you said it in a different post. Making people read every single one of your posts just to make sure their game doesn't break when you go through it is a bit unreasonable.

One last quote...

Fourthly, it's my competition, and I'll do what I want. :P

Just because it's your competition doesn't mean you don't have to think of the convenience of the participants.

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    If it's all in the interpretation, why are you interpreting it for us? Not to mention the closest thing to a herring in the RTP is a wooden fish in one of the tilesets. You can't be ambiguous in your original rules, and now decide to be specific.
    The interpretation is up to the person making the game. Anyone can come up with a plot on their own, but to make something unique given a particular starting point requires skill.

I'm not sure how I'm being ambiguous when I said "herring". I didn't say it was red, and I didn't say "a supposedly useless item/feature that should then unexpectedly become useful". And if you recognise the half-quote, you'll know that the herring in question was an actual literal one. All I intended is that you use an actual herring (or a sign depicting one, perhaps) rather than a figurative "red herring".

The lack of a fish sprite is a problem, I'll admit. But if you're going to use that feature in your game, I'm sure you'll find a way around it. Suggestion: No one said there literally had to be a visible interactable fish in the game. Remember Monty Python and the unladen swallows? That's where the imagination and interpretation comes in.

And what's so wrong with taking parts of the RTP and moving them around? It's STILL the RTP. I can't even turn an icon into a picture without worrying about my game breaking. You didn't address this in the original rules, so it should be allowed to move pieces of the RTP around.
    Mainly because it's harder for me to check for cheating, and partly because it IS in the rules (and subsequent explanations that everyone keeps wanting). You can use the RTP as-is, and you can also use the two custom tilesets and make your own title screen. That's it.

There's nothing specifically wrong with it, but them's the rules - I can't very well change them now. No one said this competition was going to be perfect. I've tried my best, but once again I've seen that just one man cannot consider all the possibilities.

Not to mention you posted the rules at midnight GMT on August 2nd, but that's a small complaint. One day could make a difference though...

Also, please address this because I'm sick of you changing (oh, I mean interpreting) the rules and not revising your rule post.
    I know I said you'd all have a month, and you've still pretty much gotten one, but that was just a little slackness of language. The "month" was little more than to give you an idea of how long it would last, not a fixed-in-stone declaration of the exact competition period. At the end of the day, the competition starts from when I said it starts, and finishes when I make a post to say it finishes.

I've edited the "competition start" post to clarify a few things. I hope it's to your satisfaction now.

Just because it's your competition doesn't mean you don't have to think of the convenience of the participants.
    One man's inconvenience is another man's challenge. But meaningless statements like that won't convince you anyway, so I offer you this:

This is the first attempt I have made at hosting a game-making competition. It is the first such game-making competition in this forum section, and as such there is nothing to research and compare and build upon. I did my best to come up a decent set of rules, and clearly people have found flaws with them. I have subsequently done my best to patch them up and clarify things, but again not everyone is happy with it. I know there are flaws remaining, some of them quite large ones, but it's now too late to try to do anything about them, so we'll just have to muddle through somehow with what we've got. I'm sorry it's not perfect from the very start, but then that's only to be expected of something new like this. At least now there's a baseline for other game-making competitions to expand from (and of course I will be happy to offer my advice based on what I've learned about the process to prospective new hosts).

Everything needs to start somewhere. This is where game-making competitions start, and I sincerely hope that they go on to much better and brighter things, and are handled much better than I have this one.

Last edited:

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
  • Maruno: Were you talking about the European or the African swallows? I like to keep my analogies clear.

On a more modly note: this is Maruno's contest, and if you have any issues with it just create your own contest with your own rules.

Back