• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Expanding the Pokédex into Emerald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Thanks a lot for that info. My expanded Pokémon don't seem to have that issue, did you repoint the animation timing table at 309AAC? After repointing the table, you need to change the pointer to a different one. For instance, use Swalot's-the Pokémon only changes frame this way: Frame 0->Frame 1 (hold)->Frame 0.

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
Years
Thanks a lot for that info. My expanded Pokémon don't seem to have that issue, did you repoint the animation timing table at 309AAC? After repointing the table, you need to change the pointer to a different one. For instance, use Swalot's-the Pokémon only changes frame this way: Frame 0->Frame 1 (hold)->Frame 0.

found something interesting, you actually need to repoint 0x674 (1652) bytes at x309AAC, this seems to account for the egg animation. (what are the following 0x6C (108) bytes after that though? they seem to be animation pointers but don't actually seem to effect anything ~_~)

so at the end of the table is this
Code:
C4 99 30 08 CC 90 30 08

C4 99 30 08 is used for Chimecho so it must be included in the reopint

CC 99 30 08 seems to be used for the egg animation (although changing it to a different animation pointer doesn't seem to change anything, but making it a random pointer resets the game when viewing the eggs summary screen)

Does that mean there's some sort of limiter somewhere that needs to be altered so that the expanded mon can all have different pointers?

Last edited:
Years
found something interesting, you actually need to repoint 0x674 (1652) bytes at x309AAC, this seems to account for the egg animation. (what are the following 0x6C (108) bytes after that though? they seem to be animation pointers but don't actually seem to effect anything ~_~)

so at the end of the table is this
Code:
C4 99 30 08 CC 90 30 08

C4 99 30 08 doesn't seem to be used for any other pokemon, however it seems to be used with all the expanded mon, so changing it to swalots animation would make all expanded mon use swalots animation regardless. (which fixes my problem but only by fluke)

CC 99 30 08 seems to be used for the egg animation (although changing it to a different animation pointer doesn't seem to change anything, but making it a random pointer resets the game when viewing the eggs summary screen)

Does that mean there's some sort of limiter somewhere that needs to be altered so that the expanded mon can all have different pointers?

Well, I haven't had any problems whatsoever with the animation timing table, and the extra 0x6C bytes seem to be for the Alt-Unowns. Try my version of the table instead:
Spoiler:

ZxXvwuk.gif

As you can see, it works perfecly fine after I repoint all the tables. It could be that you might not have followed Chaos Rush's tutorial properly and dealt with all the limiters.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 19, 2016
Greetings,
I am making a hack and I am trying to add pokemon from every gen according to the tutorial by Chaos Dragon, but this is my first time working on a hex editor so I don't understand much. Can someone help me out? I appreciate any help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Years

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
Years
ZxXvwuk.gif

As you can see, it works perfecly fine after I repoint all the tables. It could be that you might not have followed Chaos Rush's tutorial properly and dealt with all the limiters.

nope, even using your table all the new animations use C4993008 (which turns out is used for chimecho), i've checked all my limiters and they're fine. so even if i extend the table, all the new mons always use chimecho's frame control pointer regardless of what the new table says

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
regarding the animations, there seems to be a table at 0x329B87, this seems to control how much time passes before it plays the pokemon animation on the summary screen.

Also it switches between the frames too many times on the summary screen for the expanded mon, i've tried finding out why, but i haven't been able to come up with anything

So, I've been doing testing on my expanded animations, and there appears to be some sort of limiter causing some of the Pokémon's animation timings (see Step 3) in certain slots to bug out and use a completely wrong animation timing (while some do use Chimecho's, others don't). It doesn't seem to affect certain Pokémon in certain slots, which I haven't confirmed yet.
So, since I have very little knowledge of ASM and finding limiters, I am just posting a request to the ASM/limiter maestros out there: can somebody help me find the limiter (or whatever it is) that is causing this bug?
Edit: Here's some extra info: after some additional testing, it's obvious that the pointers after 0x6E0 bytes are being ignored- i.e. there is a limiter blocking the loading of those pointers. So, can someone help me find the limiter, or can someone who understands these things explain to me how the limiters work (e.g. why 07 E0 at 0x346D6?)
I'm pretty sure that the switching frames motion has also something to do on the 2 bytes at the 0x4-0x5 area (or after the pointer) of the Normal Palette Data and the Shiny Palette Data:

Normal Palette Data (per slot):
E0 0B C0 08 "00 00" 00 00

Shiny Palette Data (per slot):
F8 0B C0 08 "F4 01" 00 00

Recognize those? They have purposes though. Again those parts have something to do on the switching frames motion (such as Beautifly's motion). I don't know how it works but this needs a further research. Noted that the normal only having 0x000 to 0x1B7 while the shiny only having 0x1F4 to 0x3AB (shiny starts are 0x1F4. I dunno if it can be moved or expandable). Good thing that each digit can be repeated again even if you apply those on expanded Pokemon. I set 0x124 (Beautifly's motion) on Hydreigon's normal while I also set 0x318 on its shiny. What it looks like that Hydreigon's motion switches the frames rapidly three times (overview of Beautifly's motion).

Years
I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere else, but...
To those people who want to expand the number of Pokémon on Emerald while retaining the animations:
Step 1:
Spoiler:

Step 2:
Spoiler:

Step 3:
Spoiler:

Step 4:
Spoiler:

Step 5:
Spoiler:

ZxXvwuk.gif

For the front sprite and back sprite animations index, Chaos Rush has an excellent index here on Pokécommunity. Now the only issue will be the creation of 2-frame sprites for Gen IV to Gen VI. Personally, knowing that Flora Sky has sprites for Gen IV to Gen V, I think that if Sky were to let us use and resize his sprites we could come up with a pretty good repository soon. Another method would be to use the Sugimori palettes DS-style sprite repository that MrDollSteak has come up with, which covers Gen I to V.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Hope the first post will gonna be updated soon adding stuff that people were helping to improve the expansion. :/

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Hope the first post will gonna be updated soon adding stuff that people were helping to improve the expansion. :/
Ask a mod to transfer thread ownership. I don't ROM hack anymore and it would be more sensible for an actual ROM hacker to maintain the thread.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Ask a mod to transfer thread ownership. I don't ROM hack anymore and it would be more sensible for an actual ROM hacker to maintain the thread.

All right. I'd like to handle this thread to update stuff and all 'cause people keep asking about help to me and since I've gotten the expansion clear. Gonna ask a mod.

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
Do you think you could provide a patch for the change that are tedious and always the same ? I think about step 8, 9 and 10 among other, because right now no tool supports the extension.
And thanks to take over the thread

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
Do you think you could provide a patch for the change that are tedious and always the same ? I think about step 8, 9 and 10 among other, because right now no tool supports the extension.

I can make a tool to do that, probably wont do the full expansion, but it may help out quite a bit.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024

Sure, I will also provide patches for those parts for those who are kinda bit lazy... like me LOL.

I'm still rewriting the tutorial. I have to look back on how one certain thing works (like aux cry) to include notes about it of course. It will take a couple of days so, bear with it.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Sure, I will also provide patches for those parts for those who are kinda bit lazy... like me LOL.

I'm still rewriting the tutorial. I have to look back on how one certain thing works (like aux cry) to include notes about it of course. It will take a couple of days so, bear with it.
Also, if it helps, the "fix this one glitch" step in the tutorial deals with a glitch where Ivysaur would appear where Luxray (I think) was supposed to be in the dex. Had something to do with some missing RAM calculation offset. Apologies for not mentioning that in the tutorial.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 9, 2024
Also, if it helps, the "fix this one glitch" step in the tutorial deals with a glitch where Ivysaur would appear where Luxray (I think) was supposed to be in the dex. Had something to do with some missing RAM calculation offset. Apologies for not mentioning that in the tutorial.

Added that on that part.

Alright! I have done rewriting the tutorial in a clearer and cleaner way. If not, free to judge me.

Years
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
Well done Sky! One more thing : it would be better to precise that you've done a patch for step 8, 9, 10 before rather than after them, it's the whole point of this patch

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jan 5, 2018
I got a question not really related to the pokedex expansion. Is there a way to expand the amount of abilities of a pokemon ?

Some pokemons now got 3 abilities since the hidden ability update, for example Clefairy has Cute Charm and Magic Guard for his 2 normal abilities and has Friend Guard as it's Hidden Ability, it's pretty much the only thing left I require.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back