• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

~Fabulous~ (The Dent/Cilan Fanclub)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    The DeviantArt group was actually rather late to the party; Kenshin had already got a thread up here a while before.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    I need to get on here more often then XD. I've been checking the Cilan group a lot on DeviantArt. I thought it was funny how they have the 'ShadowTraid' theory on there.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Spoiler:

It's Detective time! I took some screenshots of Dento being Fabulous!

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    That second picture ♥

Yeah, it could cause people on the verge of hating to hate him, though, because he appears to be self-absorbed in the hat :/ It makes him look great, though!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    @Revolver uhm okay. Welcome to the club. :3

IT'S.....
    SPECULATION TIME!

Kay guys so here's this which is more or less c&p from me on some other thread on BMGf.

"Basically, Dent is portrayed as relatively flawless. When his flaws are shown, they aren't exactly addressed. They're just kinda, you know, there. One only picks up on them if one pays attention and sees them for what they are.

I actually think he can grow as a person if he begins to fail. What if Cabernet comes back and defeats him? What if one of his prided skills is shown to be worthless? Maybe Maggyo is completely defiant and he can't understand it at all. The writers can shrug it off, or do something good with it. They can have him lose confidence in himself and/or his Pokemon, freeze up during battles or training, have him not be able to do things correctly anymore. His sense of taste would be off, etc.

If the writers go in that sort of direction, sort of showcase his already apparent flaws more, and have some sort of complication as a result- then we could get some interesting character development out of that.

With Iris on her way to sorting things out with Doryuuzu at least, I think it's a real possibility that Dent could be next for some issue-resolving and whatever."

And here's this which is more crap I came up with:

So! Dent's got himself a Maggyo. We don't know too much about it other then it's a bit of a troll. I'm thinking, maybe it and Gamageru will team up against their trainers for a good while. They're a team, kinda, and they're both pretty aggressive and captured not by "power of friendship" (which is the usual method) but by being forced into PokeBalls with total resentment and unresolved issues.

What if Dent constantly tries to use his Sommelier skills to reach out to Maggyo... and keeps getting rejected and such? What if he begins to fail? The basis of his pride- the ability to evaluate and build relationships between trainer and Pokemon- is being crushed. He starts to become insecure in Sommeliering, when who should come along but Cabernet? She beats him because he makes so many wrong decisions, and he just kind of... falls into a slump, I guess.

That kinda thing would make an amazing plot arc, I think~ And it would definitely get Dent off the Gary Stu track that he's been on.

/fanfic plot found

Omg really long post what is up with me today.

Nutella

♫ Purple Hurple ♫
    Years
    He's very interesting. He's such a dramatic person, but he isn't as self absorbed as one would expect.

I love it when the anime realises who the fans really like. More Dent plz Japaneezu writers. I completely agree with you, also. It's very true. Long posts are awesome, dude. Keep it up- especially when it's interesting.

I agree with some facets of the analysation. It's just a shame that Dent is in Pokemon, or at least, a show in which character development is rarely prioritised. Failure seems to be more of a comedic medium rather than a developmental stepping stone. People rarely take failure in a humorous stride, especially when it occurs around their peers.

However, I don't think he would "lose sight of/lose himself" from a loss, even to Cabernet. That would contradictory to his personality- Dent has pride, but it doesn't seem to be a large amount when he's 'normal.' This is just my personal opinion, though- I don't see him as someone whose pride is fragile, as opposed to easily compromised.

But... one could view this differently, like you have. Perhaps he is so used to succeeding, that even one failure translates into a massive blow to his pride. A large amount of something doesn't make it bullet proof. In fact, it's a larger target. Perhaps he has pride in large reserves, but it is not used to being bashed.

It's okay for Dent to be a Gary Stu because he's on Pokemon, and it's just a bag of laughs to expect anything more... but for a dedicated fan, it leaves one to desire more from the character. I really don't think his flaws are really all that horrible. Flaws should be something that makes you frown and sigh in annoyance. "He's so bloody stubborn!"; "She's so ****ing unreasonable!!11!1!" etc..

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    However, I don't think he would "lose sight of/lose himself" from a loss, even to Cabernet. That would contradictory to his personality- Dent has pride, but it doesn't seem to be a large amount when he's 'normal.' This is just my personal opinion, though- I don't see him as someone whose pride is fragile, as opposed to easily compromised.

But... one could view this differently, like you have. Perhaps he is so used to succeeding, that even one failure translates into a massive blow to his pride. A large amount of something doesn't make it bullet proof. In fact, it's a larger target. Perhaps he has pride in large reserves, but it is not used to being bashed.
    Indeed. I feel more like he's one of those people that knows he's the best, and there's nothing he thinks needs to be said about it. But I feel like if something he knows so truly is determined to be false, then he'll start to crack a little bit. Probably not as drastically as I was going on about, but enough to show. I know he didn't seem very upset about losing to Ash, but then again Ash was an unknown medium. He knows how Cabernet is, and knows he is a hundred times better than her. If she were to suddenly become better than him, even by some fluke... /shrug

It's okay for Dent to be a Gary Stu because he's on Pokemon, and it's just a bag of laughs to expect anything more... but for a dedicated fan, it leaves one to desire more from the character. I really don't think his flaws are really all that horrible. Flaws should be something that makes you frown and sigh in annoyance. "He's so bloody stubborn!"; "She's so ****ing unreasonable!!11!1!" etc..
    I dunno, flaws are more like... undesirable qualities- not so much that one would constantly pick up on them, but still things what are still a bit exasperating once in a while. Dent's aren't terrible, no- but this is coming from a couple of fangirls, isn't it? ;)

Also, anyone pick up on this?:

"Sometimes it is necessary to attack from the front, and sometimes you must approach from the back."

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Getting this active for TheSmartOne while she is out. Dento fishing episode is the next episode that is coming out. What are you guys hopping to see happen during this episode? Also did you guys see the episode of Dento being a detective? Wasn't he super fabulous? The English episode with Carbenet had came out a few weeks ago. What did you guys think about the English version? Also the Duckeltt episode came out last Saturday. It had some good Dento moments a bit.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Of course I'm hoping for CaféMocha in 26, and some amusing fishing rod jokes stemming from it. And I'd love to see Dent being fabulous as usual~ Maybe seeing more of Yanappu and Ishizumai as well.

I adored 38, it was fantastic! That hat is awesome~

19 in English was fairly well done. "Evaluation Time" is not near as good as "Tasting Time" but it will do. Burgundy's voice was perfect for her. Still not too fond of Cilan's but it will do. Haven't seen the Ducklett one yet but of course there is the fact that Dent explores a really long tunnel and the rappels down a cliff without getting a speck of dirt on him and it is amazing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back