• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

fainting

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
  • have you ever fainted? i've done like three times, due to anxiety or shock. it was terrible all of those times. but pokémon faint all the hecking time- do you think they just? aren't real bothered after a while?

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • Well Pokemon faint when they run out of HP (energy), so maybe they are programmed to withstand that from the time they hatch from eggs.

Pika Pika :chu:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • ok but the actual experience of fainting is kind of bad? its a weird experience; you lose a sense of time and place and it's overall trippy. do they just accept that??

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • well yeah they dont just choose to faint but do they accept that nasty feeling and get used to it the more they do it? humans don't usually faint so much so we're like !!! aaa!!! but are pokemon better at just shaking that off? and does that feeling not bother them?

-Nonsense-

Luck = 0
    Years
  • I imagine that they put up with it for their trainers sake. I believe there was an episode in the anime in gen one where you can hear team rockets pokemon express what they'll do for Jesse and James even if they dont like it.

Years
  • I feel that Pokemon losing happiness when they faint is because they don't like letting their trainers down. The fact that to recover fainting needs a Pokemon Center or using a Revive makes me also get the impression of the Pokemon going in a deep sleep or a coma, and that you need to treat it to make it better.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • yeah but honestly the experience of fainting is a lot different from just falling asleep, you know?

Lunar Crescent

I choose you pikachu!
    Years
  • They just faint due to exhaustion i think.. but i believe that they think their trainer keeps good care of them, somehow. Haha.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • This topic is more on if they get used to the exhaustion, I think.

Which is hard to say - in the games, they're capable of recovering just fine after trips to the pokemon center, or if the trainer used a revive on them... which after they go on as if nothing had happened?

Only in the anime it's shown that if they went through high amounts of pain after fainting, they're shown to really feel it for a while and needs proper rest.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    "Knocked out" would probably be the more accurate term that Game Freak could've gone for.

They probably do get used to it/accept it though. Pokemon fight a lot. Life in the wild can be rough, and probably the majority of domestic Pokemon are owned by Trainers, who do battle.

Pokemon are also much tougher stuff than frail humans anyway. Or most of them are at least.

HyperMorian

Busy with University.
    Years
  • Fainting in both games and anime are just portrayed like 'they couldn't fight anymore due to exhaustion!' or 'they simply don't have the will to continue the battle and thus stay away for some time', and some us us advanced challengers interpret fainting to be equivalent of that 'perma-death'. I still have my regrets and I couldn't get over it if I were to recap the past events.

Though there's still something that I'm not sure about. If a Pokémon was afflicted by a major status ailment like burn and it fainted, and then revived again, the status itself will be gone. Technically the burn will still stay there, and this is somehow legit then this would also encourages players to actually bring status curing items, though I would assume this is to simply balance out the game.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I imagine the frequent Pokemon Center visits would bring Pokemon into the throws of death.

I've only passed out twice that I can remember. One from heat exhaustion and the other from shock.

I can't imagine fainting the number of times Pokemon do in a regular day/week of battling.

Back