• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Famitsu rules out certain Alolan Forms

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
  • It's strange that some evolutionary lines have only one Alolan form whilst others have two. Exeggute doesn't have an Alolan form even though it evolves into Exeggutor who gains an Alolan form? I don't really see how that would make sense considering how it evolved from Exeggcute, the Pokemon that was originally native to Alola.

That's what's bugging me! How can a non-adapted Pokémon evolve into an adapted Pokémon? I know I can be taking this too far, but let's say Alolan Exeggutor has a different DNA from the normal Exeggutor. But both evolve from the same Pokémon, which doesn't have an Alola form, in other words, doesn't have a different DNA. How can something like that happen? It has to have some difference to exeggute evolve into the Alolan Exeggutor...

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
  • It could very well be possible that Exeggcute does have an Alola form of some sort, it just hasn't been revealed yet, so for marketing purposes, TPCi just went with the non-Alolan variant instead.

I guess. ._.

I don't think Exeggcute will be getting an Alola form imo, I don't see Coconut themed Executes in the possible future.

It's a shame there's not an Alola form for the Dratini line, would've of liked to see a redesign of Dragonite, it just feels like it needs some vamping up.

But let's cross our fingers and hope these Pokémon might et Alola forms! Even though it kinda would be overkill for Alola forms haha

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The Riddle Leaker crossed out the following Kanto Pokémon that aren't getting an Alolan form:

Spoiler:

tfw no Alolan Wigglytuff yet Clefable has a higher chance of getting one despite already being a competitively useful mon.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think if Exeggcute were to receive an Alolan form they would have shown it by now. We've seen a normal Exeggcute evolving into Alolan Exeggutor, that would have been the perfect opportunity to reveal an Alolan Exeggcute. I guess there's more to it than just being native to Alola.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • From what the Riddler posted, I guess both exeggcute and cubone will get Alola Forms??? But what's the point for TPC not revealing them when their evolution's Alola Forms were revealed???

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • From what the Riddler posted, I guess both exeggcute and cubone will get Alola Forms??? But what's the point for TPC not revealing them when their evolution's Alola Forms were revealed???

If you read the bottom of the image, it says that at least one member of the family has an Alola form, so Exeggcute and Cubone aren't getting Alolan forms.

Years
  • Alolan Lapras would have been really cool and it's a shame that Arcanine hasn't had a Mega or Alolan Form. Dragonite would have been a Pokemon I didn't expect to get one seeing as it was in the recent trailer, the rest are pretty meh.

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
  • Alolan Lapras would have been really cool and it's a shame that Arcanine hasn't had a Mega or Alolan Form. Dragonite would have been a Pokemon I didn't expect to get one seeing as it was in the recent trailer, the rest are pretty meh.

I think the reason why TPC created Alola forms was to make underrated Pokémon popular again?... And I think Arcanine and Lapras are still pretty used I guess!

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I think the reason why TPC created Alola forms was to make underrated Pokémon popular again?... And I think Arcanine and Lapras are still pretty used I guess!

If you look at the Smogon tier list, Arcanine is UU and Lapras is much lower, which means these two would fit into the category of needing Alola forms.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    If you look at the Smogon tier list, Arcanine is UU and Lapras is much lower, which means these two would fit into the category of needing Alola forms.

She did mention "popular" pokemon, I don't think Smogon dictates how "popular" any one particular pokemon would be, their category system is based on a combination of stat distribution and overall usage within the varrying video games via competetive online battling.
    Smogon has no reach on pokemon "fanbases".

I personally think that Lapras in particular is a "fanbase" favorite, it might not have much competetive presence, but it is still a well liked pokemon and (from varrying people I have talked to) a common favorite pokemon, especially for people who only have noastalgia for the original 150. I think Arcanine is sort of close to this ideal as well, hell I even think Arcanine is an awesome pokemon from the original 150 (it's move pool has always been the only reason why it's not a big favorite of mine), and I will admit I was a bit disheartened when everyone started speculating (mostly in this thread) that Arcanine would not be getting an Alolan Form. I'm going to be stubborn about this one though, I'm not jumping to any conclusions until the game is physically in my hands. I want to believe that Arcanine still has a chance.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • She did mention "popular" pokemon, I don't think Smogon dictates how "popular" any one particular pokemon would be, their category system is based on a combination of stat distribution and overall usage within the varrying video games via competetive online battling.
    Smogon has no reach on pokemon "fanbases".

Overall usage is part of popularity though, which means the Pokémon OU are the popular Pokémon.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • For those saying Pichu and others might have an Alolan, I doubt it.

And honestly, it makes more sense for a Pokemon to be normal and then adapt when it evolves, than adapt, evolve to normal form, and adapt again.

So it wouldn't make since for an Alolan Pichu to evolve into a normal Pikachu and then adapt again when it is a Raichu. Like others have said, I believe it is possible for there to be normals and alolans in the same region. And the leaker may have intentionally said things wrong. They did it in Alola with the starters on purpose.

I do wish there was a Coconut Eggexcute though.

As for popularity, the creators stated that they chose popular, UU and OU Pokemon based on what was used in the tournaments for megas.

I also still think we might get Alolan Pokemon from other regions.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I think the reason why TPC created Alola forms was to make underrated Pokémon popular again?... And I think Arcanine and Lapras are still pretty used I guess!

It was because:

1) Too lazy to create new Pokémon
    2) Clueless about making old Pokémon useful again in competitive, so why not turn them into something they clearly are not and never have been

To me it's quite sad to see Fire!Ninetales scavenging the depths of the lower tiers whereas Ice/Fairy!Ninetales will certainly see use because of its typing and possibly stats. Sandslash will probably remain crap since Ice/Steel is pretty horrid defensively, but the others will all see a boost because the new Alolan forms are simply better, and make the old ones redundant. If to boost a certain Pokémon you have to basically turn it into something else (because that's what these Alolan forms really are), then you have to start thinking whether your concept of balance is truly great.

One only has to look at the VGC to see how horribly unbalanced Pokémon is. I'm surprised there's even official tournaments of this game anymore.

Perhaps Sun/Moon was what took me to become completely disenchanted with the franchise, especially since these kinds of things like Alolan Forms and Z-Moves have already been done by other franchises, like, 15 years ago.

Now the reason Lapras didn't get an Alolan Form is probably because, since it's such an iconic Pokémon, it makes little sense for it to get one. Lapras' purpose in life is to ferry people around. Why make it into something it's not? Same with Arcanine.

Years
  • I second Angie there. Competitive use is something Game Freak seems to be ignoring when it comes to the distribution of Alola Forms, because I know how much Raichu gets overshadowed by Pikachu in fanbase popularity.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think Parasect would be the perfect Kanto Pokemon to receive an Alolan form at this stage. It could easily adapt on one of the islands, it often gets overlooked and it most definitely could do with a buff up!

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    As for popularity, the creators stated that they chose popular, UU and OU Pokemon based on what was used in the tournaments for megas.

In the most polite way that I could possibly ask, could you link me to a source with that information please?

To me it's quite sad to see Fire!Ninetales scavenging the depths of the lower tiers whereas Ice/Fairy!Ninetales will certainly see use because of its typing and possibly stats. Sandslash will probably remain crap since Ice/Steel is pretty horrid defensively, but the others will all see a boost because the new Alolan forms are simply better, and make the old ones redundant. If to boost a certain Pokémon you have to basically turn it into something else (because that's what these Alolan forms really are), then you have to start thinking whether your concept of balance is truly great.

One only has to look at the VGC to see how horribly unbalanced Pokémon is. I'm surprised there's even official tournaments of this game anymore.

Perhaps Sun/Moon was what took me to become completely disenchanted with the franchise, especially since these kinds of things like Alolan Forms and Z-Moves have already been done by other franchises, like, 15 years ago.

Now the reason Lapras didn't get an Alolan Form is probably because, since it's such an iconic Pokémon, it makes little sense for it to get one. Lapras' purpose in life is to ferry people around. Why make it into something it's not? Same with Arcanine.

I have never thought about pokemon in this particular point of view before...
    Once I read your comment I suddenly started thinking of all of these Alolan forms with the concept that they are essentially completely remaking older pokemon which will most likely completely over shadow its predecessor. It's almost like they're attempting to "fix" pokemon that they think are "broken" by rebuilding it to what they think is "better" currently.

*shivers* Weird... I don't know how I feel about this concept, I totally get it, and it does make quite a bit of sense... but I really don't like it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think Parasect would be the perfect Kanto Pokemon to receive an Alolan form at this stage. It could easily adapt on one of the islands, it often gets overlooked and it most definitely could do with a buff up!

I do hope it can get an Alola Form, especially with that leaked drawing we had. That Morelull-esque color scheme coming from being affected by Morelull would be a neat concept indeed.

I also still think we might get Alolan Pokemon from other regions.

I do hope so, even if I'm finding myself believing it will be 1st Gen only due to, you know... fanservice.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I have never thought about pokemon in this particular point of view before...
    Once I read your comment I suddenly started thinking of all of these Alolan forms with the concept that they are essentially completely remaking older pokemon which will most likely completely over shadow its predecessor. It's almost like they're attempting to "fix" pokemon that they think are "broken" by rebuilding it to what they think is "better" currently.

*shivers* Weird... I don't know how I feel about this concept, I totally get it, and it does make quite a bit of sense... but I really don't like it.

Yeah the Alolan Ninetales is essentially a "retrained" one and I expect it to supercede the Fire!Ninetales in the lore and popularity from now on. In Yu-Gi-Oh! a retrained card is a reprint of an old card but with new abilities to fit into the current meta. Now Yu-Gi-Oh! is essentially a competitive TCG first and foremost so it's understandable why they do it, but, most importantly... A Retrained Elf Swordsman/Obnoxious Celtic Guard is still an Elf Swordsman/Celtic Guardian, much like how a Cyber Harpie is still a Harpie Lady ("This card is treated as 'Harpie Lady'"). Only difference is power and/or effects. The retrained card replaces the old one in subsequent reprints. In Pokémon's case, though, the Alolan Ninetales is a Ninetales only in name and shape. All the rest is different. Ability, stats, moves, much of what makes a Pokémon its own individual is changed when going from Fire to Ice/Fairy. Even the lore is disrespected, since there's a very specific reason why Ninetales is a golden, nine-tailed fox (it's a 1,000 year old kitsune).

Alolan Ninetales will not replace Fire!Ninetales in the Pokédex, but if it becomes more popular, it'll be as if it had.

Another way of thinking is like this: if they had introduced these forms earlier, instead of having Ursaring, Beartic and Pangoro, we'd probably have a Johto Normal!Ursaring, a Unova Ice!Ursaring and a Kalos Fighting/Dark!Ursaring.

Back