• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    To Oni: The report system is somewhat working. We get the reports, but it's just harder for the staff to check them because the old system of how we received them is borked. But like I said, we still receive them, so hit that button. Or, since I told others this, send me a PM with a link to the post. That way, I'll be sure to see it.

And Jax, would you like a PM of what Yamato-san said in this thread? I already deleted the post, but I figure I could send it your way for some lulz.

Someday, I'll actually post on topic in this thread.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Hey, no fair just offering it to Jax? What, am I too young to laugh at whatever Yamato said? XD

Anyway, LOL at the whole comment on the Eternal Sonata meets Pokemon. Actually, I'd almost want to see that fic. Just, maybe with less of a cutesy tone.

ShadowHoundoom

Shade isn't what he seems...
    Years
  • It was actually funny.

Too bad it overused the "f-word," so now I need to find a new word to utter when I lose to a level 2 Starly. :\

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Well, he didn't really say anything to you, ACC-kun. But if you still want to see it, let me know, and I'll PM you when I come home from work.

Speaking of cross-overs, I might be able to get my friend to help me write an Ouran High School/Pokemon fic.

Too bad it overused the "f-word," so now I need to find a new word to utter when I lose to a level 2 Starly.
    "Fudge"? o.O That might work.

ShadowHoundoom

Years
  • No, the real F-word. XD

And if I lose to a friggin' level 2 it's gotta be a real swear, not a censored "nice-pants" one... ;)

On a happy note, anyone read my prologue yet? I'm not sure how Chapter 1 will play out so I'd like some reactions on it. :)

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
  • Hmm... well, you could always just shout something unintelligible in all caps. Because that's how people talk when they want emphasis: in all caps.

Speaking of which...

When writing, how do you emphasize a character speaking in a louder voice?

Caps lock is easily abused, and bold looks tacky, so I'm wondering which would look "better" in a fic if you were to use one of the two.

ShadowHoundoom

Years
  • When writing, how do you emphasize a character speaking in a louder voice?

I usually italicize within the quotes and use a verb depicting a raised voice like shouting. That way I don't use a tacky bold yet avoid all caps stuff.

What should I shout when I lose to a level 2 Starly?

I think I'll try shouting every leet-speak phrase I know in random order each time. I might end up saying some Chinese/Japanese words by total accident. All of a sudden during my rant a Chinese guy slaps me in the face shouting something about how I said something about his wife or meh... hehe who knows. ^^

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years

Either bolding, italicizing, or all caps. Take your pick.

You should quit Pokemon all together.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023

Exclamation marks. They were made for a reason.

Walk away. Say no to drugs.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

Combination of exclamation marks and "her voice increased in volume."

"Christ on a pogo-stick!"

Bay

Years
  • Aw shoot, I miss that post too. Dang me watching Baccano! (excellent anime, though) XD Yeah Astinus, PM me that deleted post too. ^^;

Depends. If a character is speaking loud, then I just use exclimation marks or say she screamed. If a character screams really loud, then I use caps.

"You cheated!" XD

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
    Years

Depends on how much louder is "louder." If the character is actually shouting something or injecting a great deal of emotion into what they're saying in addition to speaking louder, exclamation points and an appropriate speech tag. If they're just talking loudly, whether to get the attention of someone who isn't paying attention or if they think someone's hard of hearing, then I would probably just indicate the increased volume in the speech tag, unless they're particularly annoyed or something.

Isaac Gravity

Supports hot-bloodedness
    Years

That writing style Bay, Jax Malcolm and Negrek talked of. Or use caps, bold or bold w/italics if you want a malicious feel. Your call honestly.

This: !!! I... Wh-what just happened?! *allows self to acknowledge what happened*

From there....

A. URRRAAAAAAAGH!! I WON'T ACCEPT A LOSS LIKE THAT!!! (Add more if you like, I prefer the lines "You bastards, here I come!" or "You won't get me this time, I swear it!" myself.)

B. Tch!

or C. *Still in denial, shakily place game down and still wonder what happened*

or depending on your mood D. *Blinks twice, looks to see if anyone is around then put down game and never speak of this day.*

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    An exclamation point, and whatever surrounds the dialogue. So the way that the character feels is reflected in what just happened, causing them to yell.

That made sense to me. *nods*

I don't use caps, since basically in one of my other fandoms, caps lock is used only for the Grim Reaper.

DJHFJHGASHFAKJFLKHGSDHGAJ;SJLFJDHSHGSH

Indeed. I think that's what ACC-kun was talking about.

Bay said:
    Aw shoot, I miss that post too. Dang me watching Baccano! (excellent anime, though) XD Yeah Astinus, PM me that deleted post too. ^^;
    I linked to it for Saff in a comment on my recent LJ post, so you can get it there. Just, like, ignore Saff, Sike, and myself conversing about Wooper.

ACC-kun, you will be getting it in a PM. Sorry, no LJ for you. ;(

Saffire Persian

Feline of Light and Shadow
    Years
    • Age 36
    • Utah
    • Seen Nov 7, 2011
    Aw shoot, I miss that post too. Dang me watching Baccano! (excellent anime, though) XD Yeah Astinus, PM me that deleted post too. ^^;

MUA! I told you Bay! I told you it was good! Firo and Ennis FTW! You be a Luck fan?

Um, I note it in the tags. Exclamation points sometimes do the trick. Bold works, as do caps. Depends on the situation.

"What should I shout when I lose to a level 2 Starly?

Nothing. Just walk away and contemplate your worthiness as a trainer.

Just, like, ignore Saff, Sike, and myself conversing about Wooper.

Woopa!

I don't use caps, since basically in one of my other fandoms, caps lock is used only for the Grim Reaper.

Would that be The Sims? Doorbell-ditching Rock-paper-scissoring Grim Reaper FTW. That, or it has to be Billy and Mandy. Though.. I'm not really into the latter fandom. Just a guess.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Uuuupppaaa! *uses Dynamic Punch*

Would that be The Sims? Doorbell-ditching Rock-paper-scissoring Grim Reaper FTW.
    It is indeed The Sims 2. Of course, the Grim Reaper in my game not only has a purple cell phone (XD) but he also randomly uses the bathroom after taking a soul. I love his clipboard and the way he shakes his head when he has to pick up a body.

And I laughed like an idiot when he took my self-Sim, Hanako. I kept yelling "I'm dead! I'm dead!"

Bay

Years
  • To Saffire: Yeah, I'm a Luck fan. All I'm going to say is he's a cool cat like that. :3 And also, you have good anime tastes. ^^

To Astinus: Wooper...(snorts)

And also, went to your LJ and when I read what Yamato said, my eyes just went wide. O.o Another thing I want to says is Mythbusters is coming to my university this Wednesday. Can't wait for it! ^^

Okay, I guess we should go ahead and do another fanfic topic, and this one is kind of from a discussion from Serebii:

Do you guys prefer to post chapters as you go or finish a few chapters first and then begin posting? What are some advantages and disadvantages for each one?

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • What the frag grenade happened to this thread!? I'm officially lost in the off-topic insanity...my brain ;;

Therefore, I will steer the conversation back to on-topicness. I've started a fic, and it's currently a fledgling prologue, but I already have a predicament. The prologue is in past-tense-first-person, and it's really, really wordy. Now here's the problem: I want to do chapters that alternate between first- and third-person, but a) the fic is a lot less deep and wordy in third person and b) my third-person dialogue feels...well...boring. I could keep going the first person route, but it would be hard as there are two main characters that I really want to develop.

So what should I do? Should I have the alternating chapters and not worry about them not really matching each other in style or should I do all first-person and try to develop one character from the other's point of view? These both sound daunting, and I'm stuck.

Another thing I need to keep in mind is that my current main character can't speak yet. He has a profound understanding of the sciences and physics, but little to no understanding of language (he was basically just born). Therefore, in first-person I have mad description of lots of technology, but in third-person I can't really take it to the same level (first person is the MC looking back on his past, so his thoughts are really in detail: in third-person he wouldn't be able to talk, and a lot would be missed). There's also some things the reader will desperately need to know about said technology as soon as possible in the fic, but if I have a character describing it to someone else it sounds bad. When I have the current MC learning about the technology for the first time, I can go extremely in depth with the description, and it doesn't sound as forced. I'm leaning towards all-first-person, but both points of view have their merits. Any tips?

Last edited:

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
  • What the frag grenade happened to this thread!? I'm officially lost in the off-topic insanity...my brain ;;

Therefore, I will steer the conversation back to on-topicness. I've started a fic, and it's currently a fledgling prologue, but I already have a predicament. The prologue is in past-tense-first-person, and it's really, really wordy. Now here's the problem: I want to do chapters that alternate between first- and third-person, but a) the fic is a lot less deep and wordy in third person and b) my third-person dialogue feels...well...boring. I could keep going the first person route, but it would be hard as there are two main characters that I really want to develop.

So what should I do? Should I have the alternating chapters and not worry about them not really matching each other in style or should I do all first-person and try to develop one character from the other's point of view? These both sound daunting, and I'm stuck.
    Why not have two first person povs and skip between each one every other chapter? :)
    Of course, I may not be the best person to be giving advice because my fic is wordy first person to :D

Do you guys prefer to post chapters as you go or finish a few chapters first and then begin posting? What are some advantages and disadvantages for each one?
    I post as I go. Mostly because I have had certain ideas buzzing in my head for so long that by the time I actually write them I have to share them with someone right then or I will go off the deep end. Not that posting seems to do me much good here *sigh of next to no reveiws* It use to be so much more active :(.

The downside to posting right away is that if you are not a fast writer (aka me) the gap between the chapter you just wrote, and the next one that is yet to be written, may be so great that your fic gets buried. Where as with a nearly finished fic, you can pace your chapter posting so there is not huge passage of time between chapters as you write the next...That is just my two cents though :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back