• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
    How far do you let others have a say in the workings of your fiction? Do you hire armed mercenaries to guard over your manuscripts or welcome co-writing projects?

My writing would be most influenced by my reviewers' advice, though more so on grammar and description. Sometimes if they suggested ideas, I would use it too but it depends if the idea would be very important for the story or not.

As for co-writing projects- there's going to be none for "Nothing, Everything" or "Destiny's Tricks" as I finished the rough drafts of both, though maybe I'll have a co-writer with me in this OT trainer fic I've been thinking for some time. Would be fun to try.^^

Have you had any unfortunate dealings with plagiarism?
    I never really faced plagiarism, though I've seen a few fics that are almost the exact same as the original, one of them being that DarkPersian mentioned. I would probably be very furious if someone plagiarized my work, whether it be fanfiction or even my essays.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    How far do you let others have a say in the workings of your fiction? Do you hire armed mercenaries to guard over your manuscripts or welcome co-writing projects?
    If I did something completely wrong with a character, and it gets pointed out to me, then I change it. But since I'm hoping to get mostly done with the rough draft of my story before posting, I guess I can say that other people have no say in my writing.

And I don't do co-writing. I can't stand to work on a team with anyone, and would much rather take the story under my own. I have a real problem trying to fit in with someone else's ideas as to how something is done.

None at all. I have seen it happen to other people, though, and I want to do nothing more than slap those who plagiarize with a metal baseball bat.

Skunter, if Miror B. (who I wrote as Miro, which is a character from another fandom xP) doesn't really serve any purpose in your story, then I would take him out.

What kind of mojo?
    My playing the Sims mojo; my writing mojo; my living mojo. Really, it's what keeps me happy. So right now I'm just a sad little Timeless One. ;~; I'm hoping that if I spend all day with my best friend, I'll feel better.

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
    Years
    None. I've in fact only ever seen three instances of it happen to creative writers. It seems remarkably pointless to me, and I'm sure most sane men would agree--as they seem to do. If you are a writer, the basic concept of writing something and posting it in public (as opposed to copy-pasting) must already be fundamental in your mind, and if you are not, what are you doing in a fiction forum? Only the very disturbed cases would bypass these compulsions. My stance towards it is, in essence, something like this:

some undefined book said:
    She faced with astonished indignation the ugly fact of feeling pain, and refused to let it matter. Suffering was a senseless accident, it was not part of life as she saw it.

Except I am not even so indignant, since the occasion never occured to me. I can truly say that it is not part of the world as I see it. And OH MY GOD this post has derailed. I'm bewildered by the idea of losing a mojo. I don't even know what that means, aside from an African superstitious charm. *babble*

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    Basically comments from friends who also read it I take on board (my next chapter had a bit of 'betaing' from a friend), and comments in reviews, which I take in account and try to implement to improve the writing.

I'm not going to co-write my fic however - it's sort of my own personal mountain to climb.
    No, although considering my fic, it'll have to be a direct plagiarise - and there are already a few comedys of Colosseum, albeilt not really in my style or explaining the unexplained.
    I have had one person start a fanfic which he told me was 'inspired' by my fic (how much I don't know) - lasted a few chapters before he disappeared... and another here who asked beforehand if he could do a similar thing with XD - nto sure if he's started it yet however.

If it does happen, someones going to be angry... DP479 - how did it happen to you?
    I'm not Sike, but I can still vouch for how awesome he is. Heck, he appears in my fic in capacities that add nothing to the overall plot 9but he does contribute to a very minor subplot). He pretty much serves as comic relief in my fic.
    That's the way - therefore, Miror B is teh awesome. ;) Comic relief couldn't hurt as a role for a guy who served in both games... but that's partly my fanafical part speaking as well there.
    And OH MY GOD this post has derailed. I'm bewildered by the idea of losing a mojo. I don't even know what that means, aside from an African superstitious charm. *babble*
    Someone needs to watch some Austin Powers.

Luphinid Silnaek

MAGNEMITE.
    Years
    Someone needs to watch some Austin Powers.
    Ooooohhh... *nods* I can't remember the last time I saw that movie.

I wonder where the threshold for plagiarism is. I mean to say, how similar must a fiction be to another before it becomes plagiarism (or at least BAD). In my ancient unoriginal newb days I used to borrow a lot of ideas from authors I'd placed on pedestals, often inadvertently. It appears to be an objective matter. A topic I just randomly thought of:

What is your idea of writing? How do you define it, and (optional) what about it compels you to write?
    I agree mainly with Ayn Rand, who defines it (and all art) as a "recreation of reality according to an artist's metaphysical value-judgements". I do differ in that (looking around at evidence) I place 'metaphysical value-judgments', or ethics or philosophy, not to be the main (universal) object. At the most general I see it as a re-creation of reality reflecting and symbolizing those themes of reality which the writer finds important. It is essentially an idea or theme branched out into a slice of reality-material. It is often used as an eloquent means of expression.

I write personally for the sheer grandeur. To develop our prediction mechanisms into imagination, and to develop this further to such a refined, mathematical state, is almost like birthing a fragmented, tiny universe. TELL ME HOW THAT DOES NOT SOUND WONDROUS TO YOU.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Also... well... look, it's Miror B we're talking about here! The guy with the music and the afro and the Ludicolo! Given that he is my favourite Pokemon character, he needs an appearance at least... and he could even serve as a bit of comedy relief. Sike Saner, get over here and tell him how awesome he is!!!

Miror B. for the win.

My playing the Sims mojo; my writing mojo; my living mojo. Really, it's what keeps me happy. So right now I'm just a sad little Timeless One. ;~; I'm hoping that if I spend all day with my best friend, I'll feel better.

I sucks at Sims; I've had writer's block all week; I feel absolutely horrible in life right now. Hope you feel better too. -gives you flower-

You can't plagarize American History, can you?

Kidding. So far, I've had no problems. But hey, two fan fics...and one unposted oneshot...what am I supposed to have?

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    To me, writing is both entertainment and an art. It can be done well with enough practice. At the same time, I also want to thrill audiences with the latest exploits of an adventure, make them laugh over the Rockets screwing up, make them want to comfort someone who's lost someone they love, etc.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

Grammar reviews and pointing out contradictions are things I highly appreciate because, most likely, I don't see them myself. It's great having an extra pair of eyes to look at my work and tell me what works or doesn't and why, and from that feedback, I try to figure out how to improve my writing style. If I don't feel at least that much openness, I just don't feel like it's fair to the audience, you know?

Additionally, I do work on co-writing projects now and then with other authors I happen to like, but the problem is I'm usually never dedicated enough to finish my chapters on time. The other author is usually kind and very welcome to talking about what should happen and what to do next, but the project tends to die thereafter.

However, if a reader says that they expect plot point X to happen or that they want X character to appear, I usually ignore it or be a spiteful ***** and attempt to contradict their expectations. I do not allow my reviewers to tell the story for me -- merely to point out whether or not plot elements work.

Luckily, no. I've seen a few who have, though (including one amusing author a couple of years ago who tried to post Rebirth on FFNet... out of order and without formatting).

What is your idea of writing? How do you define it, and (optional) what about it compels you to write?

Stringing together words.

All joking aside, though, I feel that writing fiction (and a lot of the times nonfiction) is just about knowing how to use language, partly to express things and partly to relay a message to another person. It is, simply, the art of telling a story.

So, you ask what compels me to write, given such a simple definition (literally, five words long when you get right down to it), and the answer is equally simple: because I have a story to tell.

Bay

Years

My idea of writing is, like Emerald Sky said, could be art or entertainment. It could be a form of entertainment to readers if you're reading a comedy like a crackfic or parody. It could also be an art form to readers if there's characters and themes that are really deep.

What compels me to write is basically to tell a story and to express it in new and creative ways. Whether it be telling a story about Pokemon in the Hollywood business, three teenagers going on a journey but in funny and unexpected ways, or an archelogist suddenly in a situation she wouldn't expect to be in, each story that suddenly pops in my head I try to express each of them differently. Also, to me its fun to see the audience's reaction on my stories and if I express them well or not.

Another thing that compels me to write is themes. Many times I would think of themes I like to try out and then when I write the story, I would wait and see how effective the themes touched the readers.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    ZOMGZ, NAME CHANGORZ!!!

Heheh, I'm ba-aaacckk...

My idea of writing? It's a way to express yourself and share your thoughts, visions, dreams, fantasies, and the worlds you create with others through a creative medium. (In other words, you get to show off your imagination or knowledge of a subject). The best writers express themselves clearly and engage your entire mind, the worst make your fall asleep and forget the story.

It depends. If a story is my idea and mine alone, I don't let anyone give plot input beyond "X part here made little to no sense/was horribly cliche and detracted from the plot for Y reason". If the project was basically two authors with equal input writing in tandem from the beginning, I wouldn't have a problem with it, but I wouldn't just invite every reviewer in the audience to jump up and contribute.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    @Thesis: Love the new name.

Yeah, someone actually tried to copy my first fanfic and post it on another forum. I was more flattered than angry.

I'm always open to new ideas, and I actually do get a lot of ideas from other sources. However, I'm not really a big fan of co-writing unless both writers are on the same, EXACT skill level.

Writing, for me, is just a way to express myself. My mind is always bursting with new ideas and sometimes I simply can't wait for someone to appear and have the same ideas as me. But I don't ever see myself making writing my profession.

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years

I hate co-writing. I am even too bossy to do well in RPing because I often see a 'better' way the story could go and want to do things my way to make it a good story rather than let others have any fun rping*lol* :P

Yes and I replied with a sweet note about how their fic was nice and it seemed to have so much in common with mine along with a link to my story. And they never wrote anything on it again :3

What is your idea of writing? How do you define it?

Real writing I think is not just random, real writing to me is writing that stands the test of time.
    That is just as meaningful hundreds of years later and speaks to you like the ghost of a long forgotten place and person :). That is writing to me...

What about it compels you to write?

What makes me want to write is honestly, it is one of the few things I have any talent with.
    I was so happy when I was about fourteen to discover that under all my spelling troubles, dyslexia and teasing from others, under it all, at least I was good at one thing :).
    I also write the stories I would like to read,because reading is what drove me to write in the first place. (Mostly Roald Dahl, Dick King-Smith, E. B. White, Bruce Coville, and Beverly Cleary to start with *hugs them*
    And then in middle school I started reading every single Xanth book :). I am still working on collecting them all, no matter what those pun haters say ;) "Pome-granite" is still my favorite name for a tree *lol* :3...)

At what time of day do you write the most?
    I actually do some of my best writing at midnight :).

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

6th period. And if worse comes to worse, at night.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I have a sixty seven in math. Which means, I'm gonna be grounded. :< So, don't think I died when you see 'lack of Silver'. It's just that math is the most evil thing since Darth Maul Darth Vader.

(Oh, Vader...why? Why did you become Vader? Sad to see my favorite person go like that...)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    If it does happen, someones going to be angry... DP479 - how did it happen to you?
    A person who had been reviewing my fic since forever did it. She had plagiarized someone else a long time ago, but I thought those days were behind her... Anyway, I get a PM from her telling me her new fic's up, so I click it and...

Lo and behold, half my prologue is in there, only slightly reworded. So I send a PM to a moderator and the situation is settled pretty quickly.

It sucks that a faithful reviewer and former "friend" would do this, but I still have to LOL at the fact that she actually sent me a PM directing me to the plagiarized prologue! As if I wouldn't notice or wouldn't act on it o_O

It's just that math is the most evil thing since Darth Maul Darth Vader.
    As this area's resident math major, I must contest this claim *goes into long rant about the awesomeness of math

I find it hard to compile a coherent response to the question, "what is writing," since outside of fanfiction, I don't read much literature:/

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    As this area's resident math major, I must contest this claim *goes into long rant about the awesomeness of math*

Ah, but you have yet to encounter the dark side of the numbers... *walks up in sith robe while holding a graphing calculator*

Oh, pick me, pick me!

Have you ever encountered a fanfic that pretty much ripped every detail of its plot from a major movie/book/series outside the fandom it was written in only tweaked slightly and called it original?

Just once for me. I found a fanfic that was supposed to be Pokemon, but then ended up stealing scenes from, of all things, "The Lion King", "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", and "Pirates of the Carribean". There was actually a scene where the characters quoted directly from the movie. The author gave no credit and, when approached, claimed it was totally their own invention. 0.o I lost the link, but I still remember it. XD

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    What is your idea of writing?
    A form of communication. When I was younger, my parents ignored me in favor of my older brother, so writing was the only way I could actually "say" anything to anyone. Even to this day, though I seem to have a lot to say while typing, in real life when I have to talk, I don't because I think no one's listening.

And blah blah...story to tell inside me and all that jazz.

what about it compels you to write?
    Like I said, it's the only way I think people will actually listen to me. I also like to think that I was born to write, since I've been coming up with stories since I was two.

I'm like Orange_Flaaffy in this. I can't stand not having things go my way, so I don't co-write.

Mostly in class. There's just something about sitting in the middle of a classroom, having to do regular work, and I'm sitting there with a pencil in hand, writing away. But since I can't take any more history classes with my favorite professor evar, I kind of lost my drive.

Have you ever encountered a fanfic that pretty much ripped every detail of its plot from a major movie/book/series outside the fandom it was written in only tweaked slightly and called it original?
    I believe that I found a Digimon fanfic that ripped the plot from Enchanted. Everything was exactly the same, right down to the lack of Digimon. Except that happens with nearly every Digimon fanfic.

-

ZOMGZ, NAME CHANGORZ!!!
    I miss my ACC-kun. D: But strangely, I like the new name.

Do you have a Statement to finish you?[/lame lame lame English joke]

So, don't think I died when you see 'lack of Silver'. It's just that math is the most evil thing since Darth Maul Darth Vader.
    Aw, Silver. *takes your flower* Here's a flower. *pretend to do magic* And now it's crumpled. ;-; I wanted to turn it into a bird and make it fly away.

And I hate math class as well. I didn't do my long-term project for my statistics class. xD

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
    Years
    I miss my ACC-kun. D: But strangely, I like the new name.

Do you have a Statement to finish you?[/lame lame lame English joke]

No, but somewhere out there a Cruel Angel is wondering where I've got to. [/equal lame anime joke] XD

Yah, decided that in honor of finally hitting seventeen I'd try a new name out. So far I like it. Besides, it's not like you've never wanted to do it. :3

Seriously, a digimon fic without digimon is like a Pokemon fic without ANY Pokemon.

Oh, something else I wanted to ask since I've been watching Hellsing and it's been in the corner of my mind...

Pokemon fanfics with vampires as main characters- is it possible to actually come up with a decent plot?

Not saying that I've had a plotbunny beyond something involving a Crobat's life, but is this theme really so bad that nobody could write a fanfic where it seems interesting, or is it completely and utterly stu- *looks at Orange Flaafy's fic*

Oh yeah.... nevermind, that pretty much answers the question for me. 0.o

Bay

Years

It mostly depends whether I have at school or not. Whenever I have school, it's either on the weekends or during days that I don't work and most of the time it'll be at night after I finish studying and homework. On break, I would write from morning to evening though also take a few breaks. ^^

Nope, hadn't really seen any fics like that yet. O.o

Pokemon fanfics with vampires as main characters- is it possible to actually come up with a decent plot?

I think Pokemon fanfics with vampires as main characters could work. I believe it doesn't matter if the characters are Pokemorphs, vampires, or any other type of creature that as long as they have a good personality and are developed well that it can work. :)

Orange_Flaaffy

Crystal Bell Keeper
    Years
    I have a half finished older Ash/Misty fic based on The Planet Of Apes sitting around, I'm not sure if that is what you mean since I do give credit . I've been thinking about redoing it since it seemed pretty well liked...

Yes. :)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    No, but somewhere out there a Cruel Angel is wondering where I've got to. [/equal lame anime joke] XD

Blast. Here, I wanted to be the first one to make an Evangelion reference. XD

As long as the author doesn't attempt to take a page from Anne Rice, I think so.

And by "page," I mean "use vampirism as an excuse for angst in which no one apparently does anything except look at each other and whine about having to drink blood." Seriously, what?

Remembering that one is writing in the Pokemon fandom (i.e. not forgetting the Pokemon) is a good idea too.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back