• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
  • What do you think is more difficult when writing a fic, beginning it, or ending it?

I know how all my chapters, and my fic itself, will end, so I have to say writing beginnings is more difficult. It is the reason why most of my chapters come so late.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • Yeah...great... -.- I'd preferably skip that step. I won't try at all. xD
    If you want to to skip that step, you probably wouldn't fit in around here, anyway. *sighs* Oh well.

What do you think is more difficult when writing a fic, beginning it, or ending it?

For me, it's definitely the ending. I never really start a fic unless I have a fantastic idea for how it'll begin, but I almost always forget about planning the ending before I start writing.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • August: leather
    September: roleplay
    October: toys
    November: Applebee's
    December: Astinus SEX!!!!!!!!

Yay for an awesome prompt for my birthday month.

Oh yeah. Give you the cool prompt. -.- Yeah, forget about August...

'Cause the walls start shaking
    The earth was quaking
    My mind was aching
    And we were making it and you -

Shook me all night long!

[insert the Carlton Dance here]

*writing* "And somehow, Astinus found herself locked in a bedroom with Celio and Bill..."

Are the magic fingers going to app--I'll stop.

A painter leans a ladder against one wall of a house. At what height does the ladder touch the wall? a = 17 ft and c = 27 ft. (Hint: Use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve). Round your answer to the nearest tenth.

Nobody wants to use math in here!!! D:

What do you think is more difficult when writing a fic, beginning it, or ending it?

I hate starting those--why is the in italics? ;; Anyway, I suck at starting them off, although I think JaB and Face Down had a pretty good start. But not as epid as e1337. No sir.

Last edited:

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years
  • I now think that Duncan and Bay are working together to take down the Lounge.

>_> Guys. Stop it.

-_- Oh great, she caught on. Guess we better go crash something else, then.

August: leather
    September: roleplay
    October: toys
    November: Applebee's
    December: Astinus SEX!!!!!!!!

Yay for an awesome prompt for my birthday month.

Hmm. I already had the first three planned out together, but adding Applebees? And Astinus SEX!!!!! Not to mention a Buick LeSabre. I've got my work cut out for me...

I can. It ends with the words "and then they tipped the waitress well."

Oh great, that was going to be my ending line. Oookay then...lol

In general, beginning fics have always been a...erm, not fun thing to do? x_x Lately I've been starting fics okay, but there's still a decent chance I'll either give up on it or finish it and leave it alone for a while.

Endings, on the other hand, I have no problems with. In fact, they're my favorite part of fics. It invariably includes the death of at least two main characters, some kind of world changing event and plenty of violence and cursing. In fact, that's the main reason I write fics. :)

Oh, and a quick question. Normally I censor cursing in my fics with asterisks, but would it be okay if I bypass the swear filter? Or should I stick with the asterisks, do you think?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I can. It ends with the words "and then they tipped the waitress well."

That reminds me of a certain person's uncle. -shifty eyes- They start with a J...

By the way, I'm totally gonna write for December. ;D

Years
  • What do you think is more difficult when writing a fic, beginning it, or ending it?
    Begginning, I fail at begginnings. They're too bland from me and I need to start getting a bit of action from the start. I've had two bad fanfics due to beginnings now because I try to skip past them to get to the really good bits quick.

New fanfiction coming soon... Watch this space...

Ascaris

boogey
    Years

Both of them.

I mean it. I always have trouble starting a story. The ending always turns out either too mushy or too plain, or some weird mix of the two. And during the story I always end up with some kind of romance developing which I have no control over and definitely didn't plan.

Same here, sister.

Actually, I find endings to be harder than beginnings. I know where the fic will end but I just don't know how to end it. Will it be a sentimental scene or a joyful one?

It's not as easy as writing happily ever after, nowadays.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh Uncle Steve, you crazy pimp you.

..Blech.

That story still has me laughing. And so does the--nevermind.

What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?

I'm sure I've already been doing that. xD I've got Converse, BuckCherry, ummm...that might be it. But for real, I've probably done that without realizing. xD

Sike_Saner

*aromatisse noise*
    Years
  • What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?

In terms of seeing them appear in something I'm reading, I don't mind it in the least. (Surprise, surprise. X3) In terms of using them in something I'm writing, I've mentioned real-world brands a time or two, but generally speaking, I actually prefer not to mention them myself for some reason that I can't quite place (I've even back-edited out a couple of the real-world brand mentions that I've caught myself having made).

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?

Hmm... I've never really had the chance too. They serve no purpose in my fic so there's no point in including them.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years

Uh, I haven't yet if I do, it won't be on propose.

I have a good question

Suppose you are writing a scene with a car crash(or any other near death experience), and your charter is in the car. How do you make the near death experience fell real to the reader? Do you use your own experiences, those of someone who has been in one, or do you simply guess at what it must fell like?

For me, I am using what I know about the situation (mines not a crash) and what I've seen plus what I've have heard other ppl say they heard and seen.

EDIT: I left a part out of the question, but it's fixed now

Last edited:

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Suppose you are writing a scene with a car crash, and your charter is in the car. How do you make the near death experience fell real to the reader? Do you use your own experiences, those of someone who has been in one, or do you simply guess at what it must fell like?

Well if you've never been in a car crash and don't know anyone who has, you've got no choice but to choose the last option.

Bay

Years

Reading it, I don't mind. Writing it, I kind of want to Pokemonized it per say, just because I think the Pokemon world is a bit different from our real world. I had done a few parodies of real places/ pop culture stuff in my old one shot "Take Fifty Five!" (gosh I miss that story...XD)

Suppose you are writing a scene with a car crash(or any other near death experience), and your charter is in the car. How do you make the near death experience fell real to the reader? Do you use your own experiences, those of someone who has been in one, or do you simply guess at what it must fell like?
    I pretty much guess at what it must felt like. I never written anyone in a near death expereince, but written a scene where the person killed someone. It was accident, so the person was shock and confused as to how that happened.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Suppose you are writing a scene with a car crash, and your charter is in the car. How do you make the near death experience fell real to the reader? Do you use your own experiences, those of someone who has been in one, or do you simply guess at what it must fell like?

I try to make it sound realistic, usually using my own experiences with pain and trying to magnify them. Actually, in my last chapter, I described in great detail one of my characters "drowning". I've never done more than choke on a glass of water, so that was quite a feat to attempt.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I'll give a partial list of real life elements in my fic and you can decide for yourself.

Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, Applebee's, TGI Fridays, Denny's, Sunoco, Target, Harris Teeter, Mercury Grand Marquis, Chevrolet Caprice Classic, Dodge Diplomat,... Need I go on?

Suppose you are writing a scene with a car crash, and your charter is in the car. How do you make the near death experience fell real to the reader? Do you use your own experiences, those of someone who has been in one, or do you simply guess at what it must fell like?
    I try to make it seem real, but I do have to leave it partly to my imagination since I've never had a near death experience and it's not something I ask about.

DP479: (To some random guy on street) Yo, you ever have a near death experience, dawg?
    Random guy (gives DP479 a roundhouse kick)
    DP479: Ow! Never gonna give you up! Never gonna let you down! Never gonna run around and desert you! (gets punched in the face)

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Forgot to answer a topic in my last post.

What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?

Two words: Dumb Hooligan. Now that you all are confused, two more words: Daft Punk.

Now that you're more confused, my point: I just change the names of "real" things so that they are still recognizable, but not the same. The phrase "heart shaped box" comes readily to mind...(you had to be there).

Random guy (gives DP479 a roundhouse kick)

Imogen Heap: Ooh watcha sayyyy? Oh that you only meant weeellll? Well of course you did...(once again, you had to be there)

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years

I don't mind if it's used in someone's fic, but personally I dislike any kind of real world references without some kind of explanation. Like Ash leaving on a Pokemon journey with a bag of Doritos or something just makes no sense at all to me.

Heh, I've written plenty of near and at death scenes, as well as one car crash. As I've never been in any, I really take a lot of inspiration from movies and books about how it would happen. I never have any problem with what the character is thinking throughout it all, however. I'd just say try to read/watch something about the incident you're about to write, and if possible talk to someone about it who has gone through it.

To be honest, though, you could probably be able to write the scene on your own. Try to make it as realistic as possible, and really put yourself in your characters shoes.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

And my parents wonder why I don't give a care about driving. -.-

The last option. And I'd probably do well with my horrible fear of cars.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • DP479: Ow! Never gonna give you up! Never gonna let you down! Never gonna run around and desert you! (gets punched in the face)
    That was low, DP479. I'm not going to take this internet h-bomb sitting down. As retaliation, here's the most terrible of all internet atrocities (apologies to Silver, because she actually knows what it means).

Brace yourself:

You just lost the game.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back