• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
  • You just lost the game.

What game?

Behold! My ultimate defense: denial! I haven't lost yet. Although what I would be losing I don't know (See? There it is again!).

Quality Inn, Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, Applebee's, TGI Fridays, Denny's, Sunoco, Target, Harris Teeter, Mercury Grand Marquis, Chevrolet Caprice Classic, Dodge Diplomat,... Need I go on?

I think you've said quite enough.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Suppose you are writing a scene with a car crash, and your charter is in the car. How do you make the near death experience fell real to the reader? Do you use your own experiences, those of someone who has been in one, or do you simply guess at what it must fell like?
    Erm... the last one. Although I have a friend who's family had been in a few, so if I ask nicely... and if I do want it to be super-realistic I might google search a few 'experiances' - probably a few lying around. But mostly the last one.

DP479... that was a rather amusing mini-script there. :)

What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?
    I'm ok, as long as it's not completely out of the blue and for no reason. I like seeing that sort of stuff in fics though, such as DP479's fic. As for my fic, I do have the *odd* reference here and there, for comedy usually. Parodied a real song (Crazy by Gnarls Barkley), reference the Pokemon theme song... and the odd other thing. Usually not though.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
  • What game?

Behold! My ultimate defense: denial! I haven't lost yet. Although what I would be losing I don't know (See? There it is again!).
    Ah, but there's the catch! If you are in a position to declare that you haven't lost the game yet because you are in denial, you have in fact already lost the game because you know how it's played! Or perhaps I'm reading too much into this...

Suppose you are writing a scene with a car crash, and your charter is in the car. How do you make the near death experience fell real to the reader? Do you use your own experiences, those of someone who has been in one, or do you simply guess at what it must fell like?

Because none of my characters have had one of their ears split in half as the result of attempting to climb a wet playground slide, I've never really been in a position to describe an accident as if I was in it. I'd probably just guess at what it'd be like, but be ready to revise what I had written if someone tells me that the real experience is not like how I described it.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Ah, but there's the catch! If you are in a position to declare that you haven't lost the game yet because you are in denial, you have in fact already lost the game because you know how it's played! Or perhaps I'm reading too much into this...

What game? Seeing how this works yet?

Anyways, I'm going to do a topic to make up for my horrendous off-topicness as-of-late.

Have you ever stepped out of your genre comfort zone and found a story you absolutely loved?

I've done this only a few times. I almost exclusively read sci-fi and fantasy, and I absolutely despise history, but I've become addicted to a series that mixes dragons into the Napoleonic Wars. I think it's historically accurate (in terms of the happenings during and outcomes of battles and such), and there's a lot of old-world culture and technology, but I can't help but love it.

If I could go back in time and take history classes again, I'd want the textbooks to be historically accurate but with a touch of fantasy mixed in. I'd learn it much better, considering how entranced I am by these books XD

Duncan McNeil

[release].your.grip
    Years
  • Have you ever stepped out of your genre comfort zone and found a story you absolutely loved

A few times, yeah. Once I branched (from normal OT fics) into darkfics, which is my main thing right now. It's just that dark fics are so fun and easy to write for me, you can use darkness as an integral part of your fic, and use all kinds of dark themes.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Have you ever stepped out of your genre comfort zone and found a story you absolutely loved?

Now that I think about it, no. I only read journeys fics (fics that stray from the canon storyline a little) and the occasional regular OT. Ever since I quit writing MP, I've been find PMD stories unbearable. They're all the same (with a few exceptions, of course)!

Bay

Years
  • Have you ever stepped out of your genre comfort zone and found a story you absolutely loved?
    I usually don't read shipping/romance fics, but there's been quite a few at Serebii that I loved actually. As for real books, not yet. Still interested in police/detective based stories. XD

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    In fact, I definitely have. That fic is named Maggots of Society. I absolutely hate horror, yet... I actually loved it. Very strange. o_o

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Heh. I used to like OT stories but...my friend introduced me to some real pro shipping fics on Serebii and...I quite liked them.
    Er...on books, I read like fantasy most (don't blame me, I'm 12!) but... some detective stories and other things have been pretty cool.

POKEMON_MASTER_0

caffeine 1mg/mL, 240 mL po q4h prn fatigue
    Years

I'm going to say yes. I usually stick to fiction, more specifically, sci-fi and fantasy. (I've read everything from 1984, to the Pendragon series, to Foundation.)

However, I was doing a report about a year ago. I pulled some of my research from The Autobiography of Martin Luther King Jr.

At the time I was not particularly interested in Dr. King. However, I picked up the book, started reading, and found that I was more interested in his life than I had originally thought.

I find it amazing that despite coming from humble origins, he grew into one of the leading figures in the Civil Rights Movement. He had a power that was derived from peace, and that made him a remarkable leader. I think one of the key themes is that one person can make a difference only if that person wants it badly enough.

That idea alone made the story very powerful for me. I have often heard teachers rattle off the phrase "You can make a difference." At first I thought, "How the heck can I make a difference in a world of six-billion people? There's no way. Sure, I can be successful, and be happy, and all that jazz, but there are just way too many people to make a lasting impact." After reading about this phrase in action, though, I'm beginning to reconsider...

I stepped outside of my comfort zone and I was happy to have done so. It gave me a new perspective.

Last edited:

Golden Riolu

Finally Back
    Years
  • What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?

I rarely do that. I usually make up my own. For example, to my knowledge there is no band named Jezebel's Curse, but I used the logo of that nonexistent band in the first chapter of Visions Of Fate.

Suppose you are writing a scene with a car crash, and your charter is in the car. How do you make the near death experience fell real to the reader? Do you use your own experiences, those of someone who has been in one, or do you simply guess at what it must fell like?

Well, I've never been in a plane crash, yet I've written three of them (not into stories you're ever going to see). I usually just guess what things would be like. I've never kissed anyone either, yet it happens surprisingly often in my fics.

Have you ever stepped out of your genre comfort zone and found a story you absolutely loved?

I think I might have once. I can't for the life of me remember what it was, though.

~Golden

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years

Like Beachy, who really needs to stop beating me here, I dislike horror, too. But I found Maggots of Society to be amazing. Well, what's been posted of it, anyway. >.>

IceDragon2439

Stand Up and Scream
    Years

Yeah, a few times. My main theme in books is war but I have occationally looked into fantasy. In fanfics, I like most of the themes, so I haven't found a certain theme that I only like to read.

burningfoot

Prepare Yourself!
    Years
  • What do you think of using real places/pop culture/soft drinks/other real stuff in fics?

I really like it because the reader can recognise it and the writer finds it easier to write about because they know about it. That's why I'm doing it right now.

I try and find personal experiences that are similar and use them but alter them if I need to.

No, because I find it difficult to read things I'm not used to.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years

I usually like to read real life adventure stories, but here lately i have been reading fantasy.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    -sneaks in quietly-

When you visualize your fic, do you picture it as anime, live action, or what?
    As far as geographics, I like to picture my fic as live action. But as far as battling, I make it seem like an Anime.

Miyukii

ShweetyパイPopzz♥
    Years
  • Oh yay!!! Fan fiction! I love fan fiction! I'll dream up a story overnight. Anyway, could someone show me some good fan fiction they've made, I feel kinda bored.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Oh yay!!! Fan fiction! I love fan fiction! I'll dream up a story overnight. Anyway, could someone show me some good fan fiction they've made, I feel kinda bored.

Just read diffrent stories, start in the main forum then make your way to the Archive

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • OMG. If you're looking for a good story, check out Jax's Selling Everything.

For a laugh, check out e1337(link in sig) or bobandbill's The Retelling of Pokemon Colosseum.

For something high-schoolish, check Joey's Fast Times at Samuel Oak High and for horror read Burnt Flower's Maggots of Society.

And for something I forgot, then I'm sorry. I must not have gotten to those yet. :x

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back