• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
That's called moderating a forum and believe you me, it's a serious pain. It wouldn't be such a huge issue for a relatively inactive forum like this, but it would get old fast.

Amen. Besides, Astinus has got a crapload on her plate already without having to establish a whole Big Brother scenario around here.

Sure, she kinda does, but seriously, she's going to have to go through those moronic threads anyway. To get approved, you need to be reviewed first by a moderator or staff member. As in, the moderator or other staff member looks over your thread and decides whether or not it's fit for publication. If yes, they approve it. If no, they delete it. As in, it doesn't really matter anyway if moderation's up or not. Astinus will still have to deal with crap, and people will still think it's a good idea to post crap either way because if they don't even read the stickies, then chances are, they're not actually getting encouragement from the other threads in the forum.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Ahem.

That response was written in my nicer days, but the point still stands. I don't want to come here and read over pre-posted fics that I don't have the time to read over just to see if the fic is up to snuff. I want to come here, cruise around quickly to make sure nothing's on fire, and then move on to better things.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Ahem.

That response was written in my nicer days, but the point still stands. I don't want to come here and read over pre-posted fics that I don't have the time to read over just to see if the fic is up to snuff. I want to come here, cruise around quickly to make sure nothing's on fire, and then move on to better things.

I see what you mean.

Does this mean we can call you the firewoman?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I see what you mean.

Does this mean we can call you the firewoman?
I am actually wanting to become a hit man.

Firewoman. Bah. How sexist. "Fire fighter" would have been preferable.

I guess that, then, instead of "hit man", I would be an assassin.

Buoysel

Years
I am actually wanting to become a hit man.

Firewoman. Bah. How sexist. "Fire fighter" would have been preferable.

I guess that, then, instead of "hit man", I would be an assassin.

Okay, I'm total confused. Is it Assassin, or Fire Fighter?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
How about we just call her Fire Assassin? Fight fires, but do it stealthily!

Last edited:

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
If that's the case, are we going to call all the people who cause disturbances "marks" or "firestarters" from now on? Awesome. XD

Fire Assasin's Creed. I'd so buy that game.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Why not arsonist, or pyromaniacs, instead of firestarters?

What about flamers? *insert rimshot here*

Well, we could also call them flaming, and that would be incredibly, incredibly entertaining. ("Astinus, there's someone who's flaming in here!" "Is it Andy?!")

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
*peeps head in*

Oh?

Oh.

*goes back to reading Treason* Yay for gender-bending!

Dude, they reprinted the covers of Game. It has hot pink writing now. 8D

Okay, I'll go back to Hatrack now.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
*peeps head in*

Oh?

Oh.

*goes back to reading Treason* Yay for gender-bending!

Dude, they reprinted the covers of Game. It has hot pink writing now. 8D

Okay, I'll go back to Hatrack now.

Dude. I have no idea what you just said. But that's okay, because it is.

I'm now reading Brisingr. I can see the shivers traveling up some of your spines, and I'm laughing.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
No one is ever really sure what it is that I say when I enter into "OSC fangirl" mode. I tend to prattle about everything OSC, not even knowing or caring that everyone has no idea what it is that I'm saying. Earlier tonight, at the dinner table, my mother had to pretty much tell me to shut up because I wouldn't shut up about those books.

See? Here I go again. But I can understand why I'm in this mode. I mean, I only have until November 11 ( ;; ) until the new book comes out to get the majority of my fanfic written. So my mind is on overload. Plus, I just got a new book, and saw three other ones that I want.

*goes on and on and on...*

txteclipse, how is Brisingr? I also got that today, but I haven't read Eldest and don't remember a thing about Eragon. I read the first one, but the writing was so dry that it was difficult to get through, and I just wanted to finish reading it to get it over with.

I heard that the new one is an improvement over Eldest, so Pao-Pao went back to his same quality that he was at in writing Eragon. But the plot is still full of unnecessary filler, and Eragon the character is as annoying as ever, so... I dunno.

Buoysel

Years
Dude. I have no idea what you just said. But that's okay, because it is.

I'm now reading Brisingr. I can see the shivers traveling up some of your spines, and I'm laughing.

I though I would be the only one. How far are you in?

txteclipse, how is Brisingr? I also got that today, but I haven't read Eldest and don't remember a thing about Eragon. I read the first one, but the writing was so dry that it was difficult to get through, and I just wanted to finish reading it to get it over with.

I heard that the new one is an improvement over Eldest, so Pao-Pao went back to his same quality that he was at in writing Eragon. But the plot is still full of unnecessary filler, and Eragon the character is as annoying as ever, so... I dunno.
I'm not txteclipse, but: I like it. My favorite scene so far is on page 62. I think that Paolini has improved since Eragon. I think that Eragon is somewhat annoying now. He is a lot stronger in this book, with little explaionton of how it happend. There is a gap bewtween books 2 and 3. unlike 1 and 2, which had a tme gap of 30 minutes. but this one is probably a couple of weeks.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I'm only on page 34 at the moment, and it's good so far. I don't see why Eragon is annoying to you guys...I guess it comes down to personal taste. I'm having no trouble with his character. The "I'm now an elite half-elf hybrid" ceremony thing in Eldest was a bit too convenient for Eragon's wound and need of more power, but it tossed a bunch more stress on him. He has the ability to help more people, and now he's obligated to whether he likes it or not.

I think this book is pretty much going to be him and Saphira correcting past mistakes and owning up to Eragon's "think-before-you-leap" attitude. It's not subtitled "The Seven Promises of Eragon Shadeslayer and Saphira Bjartskular" for nothing. They're going to be dealing with all of the stresses of having divided loyalties, and the sacrifices that that implies. Once Galbatorix starts really bearing down, I'm afraid it's going to get pretty messy.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
I'm only on page 34 at the moment, and it's good so far. I don't see why Eragon is annoying to you guys...I guess it comes down to personal taste. I'm having no trouble with his character.
That would be because in previous books nobody had a problem with his character, except for people who were clearly evil. He could go around doing things like accidentally cursing babies and so forth and wouldn't get more than a little slap on the wrist for it. Also the fact that basically nobody got characterization unless it was in relation to him.

I've heard that's improved somewhat in Brisingr, though.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
That would be because in previous books nobody had a problem with his character, except for people who were clearly evil. He could go around doing things like accidentally cursing babies and so forth and wouldn't get more than a little slap on the wrist for it. Also the fact that basically nobody got characterization unless it was in relation to him.

I've heard that's improved somewhat in Brisingr, though.

What about Roran? There was a bit of side-plot there. And what's-her-name...Nasuada. They were developed separately. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you.

Arya didn't really like Eragon at the start, but I'm seeing what you mean somewhat with the "everybody likes him" thing. He never really gets in trouble with other people when he messes up, and there's no serious, in-depth conflict with other characters (except that one elf that kept beating him when he was training, but that was more of an aside). I'm expecting the relationship with his brother to get pretty crazy, what with the guy becoming irreparably evil and all. So he kind of has an anti-thesis now.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
What about Roran? There was a bit of side-plot there. And what's-her-name...Nasuada. They were developed separately. But maybe I'm misunderstanding you.
Well, side-plots are a bit different from the development of character. A character can be the star of one while remaining as flat as ever, really.

But what I was talking about more is that all other characters seem to exist in orbit around Eragon. There isn't really the sense that they exist as people in their own right, only that they are in some way involved with the titular character. That is, their motivations are primarily related to Eragon or his doings in some way. Most of their conversations seem to involve Eragon or his doings in some way. The temptation is to think of them in relation to Eragon, i.e. "Eragon's _____," such as Arya, "Eragon's Love Interest," rather than as independent characters (e.g. "Arya, Princess or Whatever-She-Is of the Elves").

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
The entire world of Algaesia (Oh-ho! Spelled it right while guessing) seems to revolve around Eragon. The evil people all hate him, which is how you can tell that they are evil. And if the person likes them, then they are a good character. There's no to little middle ground.

Eragon, as a character, is a weirdly developed one, if you can say he's developed. I mean, take the scene where he cries many single tears over the fact that he had to kill two rabbits to eat. He feels horrible that he has to take those little bunnies and kill them to live. (T_T The bunnies!) Then there's the opening scene in Eldest where he plays with the molar of a dead person, making it seem like killing isn't all that big of a deal to him. Before he plays with the tooth, he says something along the lines of "The dead need to be respected."

He doesn't make sense as a character. And as the story goes on, he gets even more annoying because he himself doesn't think of himself as human. He goes through that elf ceremony and considers himself better than anyone else.

My main problem with Eragon is that he's not a character I can relate to or care about in any way because he doesn't seem human. He just goes through whatever action Paolini needs him to go through to move the plot along. He's not human. He's just Paolini's wish-fulfillment.

Which is a shame, because I love books about dragons and their riders. There's a book coming out in December that I read the first chapter of (It was a free sample at Barnes and Noble) where a human child is chosen as a partner to a dragon. The book is already interesting to me because the main character is human. Acts human, is treated like a human, has many dimensions to the personality. If Paolini had written a better character, I could have gotten through everything else.

(Which now makes me wonder why I didn't mind Twilight. Still haven't finished the book, since I'm reading something else, but I can at least get through Meyer's books. Must be because she's Mormon. XD)

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Have a friend who has the third book, planning to stea- err, borrow it off of him after he's done if it to see what it's like. I daresay there is too much of a focus on Eragon in the books, although I haven't read them for a while now...
I mean, take the scene where he cries many single tears over the fact that he had to kill two rabbits to eat. He feels horrible that he has to take those little bunnies and kill them to live. (T_T The bunnies!)
But they're bunnies! Only evil people kill bunnies. -_-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back