• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
I post The Quest for the Legends version ILCOE on my site (and a link at my forums), Serebii, FanFiction.Net and TPM, while I post the IALCOTN on my site, here, PokémonElite2000 and Pokémon Fan Universe (or used to; I'm not sure I'll bother anymore, since I haven't gotten a review for any of my fics there in what seems like years and the reviewer who was the reason I began posting there in the first place has left). I also have my work posted at The Pokémon Tower, but update only very occasionally. The rest of my work is posted at all of those, except that I believe the fanfiction forum at PokémonElite2000 does not allow R-rated fics and so I did not post my Scyther spin-offs there, and some of my stuff I don't post on FanFiction.Net (mostly chaptered fics I'm not regularly working on).

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I'm toast on the exquisite corpse. So stuck...I've hit a page with no signs of being remotely close to done. -_-'

Ventventvent. Ah well. I'll finish.

The quality and subject matter of this post denotes my boredom. *Using turret voice from Portal* is anyone...there?

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Keep going, txt! You can do it! For great justice (and the fact that we've never finished this bloody game before)!
Lol. I'm working on it right now...just have to do something without it seeming too rushed. Which I will probably not accomplish, nor will I care because the thing is going to be so freaking random anyways.

EDIT: We just pwned my dorm building with ridiculously loud music. The floor was vibrating. Boredom over.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
Years
EDIT: We just pwned my dorm building with ridiculously loud music. The floor was vibrating. Boredom over.

Heh, on Tuesday, it was 'Year 12 muck-up day' - a traditional day which occurs shortly before the year 12's leave school before their final exams. Basically a day where they all go crazy. Part of this years one involved them taking over the PA system and blasting the good old Pokemon Theme song on it.

Multiple times.

At the same time when we were having exams.

Where else do you post your fics in an attempt to take over the world with it?

Let's see... I posted my fic on Serebii to begin with, where it actually has a decent following now (only with more one-liner reviews than I'd like...). I also have it on ffnet, TCoD, and bulbagarden forums (most of them thus far anyway), as well as partly on Pokemon Tower, which only as a few un-updated chapters. :/ Meh, I'm lazy.

Also posting my oneshot around other places as well now, whee.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Siiiick. I don't think we can beat that. Basically, two other guys and I turned our sound systems to absolute maximum and all started a Metallica song in unison. I had to leave the room.

I'm so off topic right now...I guess I'll have to dredge some earlier pages for a topic to answer.

EDIT: Wow. Some of you have been here for a really, really long time. That was a blast from the past. The lounge has also changed a lot over the years...I'd recommend glancing at a few of the older pages to anyone that hasn't done it recently. I feel so new now...

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Amazingly, I didn't die yet. I just got a new video game. (Which is the most difficult game I have ever played. Sierra, what did you do to Spyro? The games were so much fun before, and now they just...argh. I nearly broke my controller.)

Great. There's melted cheese on my laptop.

Anyhow, I once tried to read through the entirety of the Fanfiction Lounge once, but just couldn't do it. I wanted to smack a few people for being annoying. Plus, this thread started out for the same purpose as the spankin' new Fanfiction Announcement Thread.

Now, the FFL is home to spam and orgies. I think I like the new FFL better than the old FFL, since it gives people a chance to come here and act like the eccentric writers that we all are.

You know, I did notice that out of the three fandoms I'm in based on things that are directed for kids (Pokemon, Digimon, and Spyro the Dragon), the Pokemon fandom certainly has the higher standard for fanfiction. I mean, one of the highest rated fics on the largest Spyro forum has the quality of a fic that would be closed on any of the bigger Pokemon forums.

It certainly struck me as odd to notice that.

To get off the serious note, let me all scare you: I bought New Moon, the sequel to Twilight. And now I want to look for fanfic based on the book.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Anyhow, I once tried to read through the entirety of the Fanfiction Lounge once, but just couldn't do it. I wanted to smack a few people for being annoying. Plus, this thread started out for the same purpose as the spankin' new Fanfiction Announcement Thread.

On the other hand, there are just some posts that are too hilarious to pass up. (Either that, or I'm exceptionally tired to the point where everything seems funny to me.)

For example: Legend Of Lance. I'm giggling at this not only because of the author's name but also because it makes me think of Lance in a Zelda costume. Saying, "I feel pretty."

I do agree that this end of the FFL's a bit more intelligent and interesting, though.

Scarlet Weather

The Game is Afoot!
Years
On the other hand, there are just some posts that are too hilarious to pass up. (Either that, or I'm exceptionally tired to the point where everything seems funny to me.)

For example: Legend Of Lance. I'm giggling at this not only because of the author's name but also because it makes me think of Lance in a Zelda costume. Saying, "I feel pretty."

I do agree that this end of the FFL's a bit more intelligent and interesting, though.

Well, hey, Yellow probably wouldn't feel squeamish about putting on a Link costume. XD

Seconded. I wouldn't trade this lounge for anything in the world...

*sees publishing deal*

Except that. *Runs off and throws lounge to publishing guy*

Bay

Years
Yeah, I know. When I first came here, nothing much. After taking a hiatus from PC and then coming back, this lounge gets crazier, but I like crazy. :)

And huh, interesting on the Pokemon fanfiction standards thing.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
He has a motorcycle. Given to him by monks.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Has inspiration ever stuck you so hard, that there is simply not enough time in the day?

Yes, I am currently working on overhauling my fic.

EDIT: There is a Dragon Vs. Dragon and 13 Elves on page 312 in Brisingr.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Has inspiration ever stuck you so hard, that there is simply not enough time in the day?
All the time. x_x For instance, I soooooo want to do my OT fic that got inspired by the trailer of "Eagle Eye" but because I got school, work, and "Nothing, Everything" I have no time.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

No posts in over twenty-four hours?

People better start posting, or I'm bringing out the Youtube videos. I have one of Weird Al Yankovic singing "White and Nerdy", and I know how to use it!

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I has a question: I am trying to figure out how to make my story seem more believable. Have any of your fics dealt with why Pokemon obey their trainers? How did you explain it?

Bay

Years
Not really because my fics aren't in the OT genre. However, I think in NE I explained how both Bunny and her Pokemon bonded really well and they've been together for quite some time. Same thing with Jenny and Jacob. Eh, I know, generic reason but that's the best I can come up with. :X

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I has a question: I am trying to figure out how to make my story seem more believable. Have any of your fics dealt with why Pokemon obey their trainers? How did you explain it?
The only one that I've explained so far is explained because of drugs. No really. Drugs are the answer. I haven't figured out the others yet. But there's this whole explanation behind this Pokemon's obedience that involves all sorts of weird things.

Back before I entered the "I want to just finish this fic because I want to write OSC fics! D:" I explained it in that those Pokemon that automatically (don't get all rawr when captured) obey their trainers is because they realize that with the human's help, they can get stronger than their wild counter-parts. Like, they can travel around and battle other opponents that they wouldn't normally battle.

Yeah, that one wasn't really thought out well.

Negrek

Am I more than you bargained for yet?
Years
For me, pokémon obey their trainers for a variety of different reasons, just as humans obey the rules (to a point) for a variety of different reasons.

First of all, though, I do have some pokémon that resent being captured, and not many of them transform to obedience-mode after a while with their trainers. Depending upon the way that you come up with, the same may or may not be logical for your characters. If you go with a purely free-will kind of thing, it's likely that your characters will encounter some pokémon that choose not to obey.

For my own 'fics, pokémon are technically under no obligation to fight for their trainers. Most do, though, for one or more of several reasons:

1. It's just in the pokémon's nature to enjoy getting ordered around. This is true of some humans; there are people who are much more comfortable following orders than making decisions of themselves. Probably a much stronger impulse in pokémon with a hive or pack mentality, where there's a higher-up that usually does the dispatching. If a trainer captures a pokémon with a natural position of authority, like the queen of a hive or the leader of a pack, they're much less likely to obey, though.

2. In the interest of becoming stronger. If a pokémon is captured, it likely was looking to be anyway, and that means it's interested in traveling and improving its battle skills. Generally a good way to do this is hook up with a strong trainer and let them do all the legwork of continent-crossing and trainer-finding; the free heals and experience against a variety of kinds of opponents also makes this approach more lucrative than just wandering by oneself. However, if a pokémon feels that a trainer is only holding it back, it obviously won't obey.

3. Loyalty or a sense of duty. If a pokémon and trainer have grown up together or otherwise developed some sort of relationship, it's possible that the pokémon will obey because it wants to repay its trainer or just help him or her out.

4. Fear of punishment. In the case of an abusive trainer, pokémon may be "broken" and follow only because it has little will to act otherwise.

5. Control by some external measure. Shadow pokémon, some Rocket or otherwise altered pokémon (and all pokémon in one of my 'fics) may be under the influence of some device or process that causes them to obey unswervingly. This often leads to a detrimental lack of free will.

6. For the fun of it. For some pokémon, battle is just a game. They don't particularly care if they win or lose, but traveling the region and hanging around with some pokémon from far away is quite the adventure, and they're glad to be along for the ride.

Within these all there are different degrees of obeying and not. Some pokémon will take an action against orders if it believes that this will lead to a better outcome, regardless of usual loyalties. Some will want to mess with their trainers, or just go their own way for a while. It's all down to personality and individual motivation with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back