• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
If you could give a character in your fic a Christmas present (assuming they celebrate it) what would you give them?

I would probably give Gary Stu a time bomb.

Speaking of which, I should be writing and not posting, bye now, and merry Christmas to anyone who won't be online tomorrow!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
What happens to a trainer's Pokemon if they get sent to prison?

Oddly enough, I actually agree with Buoysel here. If the trainer has a Poké Ball on them at the time of being sent to prison, the balls may simply be boxed with the rest of the trainer's possessions. (Some may be confiscated simply because they may be considered lethal weapons. I'm not entirely sure about prison policies concerning weaponry, to be honest.)

With any Pokémon in storage, I usually figure that their account is temporarily frozen. That is, only the authorities (and the administration of the system/keeper of their Pokémon, depending on canon) are able to access it, but pretty much no one else can (to prevent Pokémon from being withdrawn and sent to the incarcerated). For those on a life sentence or an extended sentence (15+ years), the Pokémon may be given to close relatives (or, heck, to children who want them).

Of course, I'm just pulling things out my arse here. If anyone can come up with anything better for Pokémon in storage, feel free.

Oh, and a fire type's internal body temperature would have to be near 1,500oF. So if the gland housing the hydrogen ruptured, and mixed with oxygen rich blood... BOOM! (that explains AC Coda X's exploding Charizard.)

1. Exploding Charizard wouldn't happen to be a parody on the concept of an Exploding Charizard, would it? Because if it is, then this is actually a moot point because the point of the term is the fact that an Exploding Charizard shouldn't exist in the first place.

2. The problem with all of this logic is that Fire-type moves aren't restricted to Fire-type Pokémon. Flamethrower itself is teachable to 123 Pokémon via TM and 66 Pokémon via Crystal Move Tutor. Among these Pokémon are Octillery (a Water-type), Koffing (whose gases are known to be flammable according to the anime), and Golem (a rock, meaning the glands logic may not actually fit with its body type). I highly doubt body temperature is a factor here, considering the Pokémon that can learn this move. You may want to rethink your theories in order to take into consideration all Pokémon that use these moves because right now, there's some holes here.

3. Additionally, oxygen-rich blood isn't actually flammable. The thing with chemistry is that while certain chemicals in their pure form can produce explosive results (literally), the same chemicals bonded to others will often prevent the expected chemical reaction. In the case of blood, the oxygen is already bonded to iron in the blood until it undergoes certain reactions when it reaches its intended destination in the body. Technically, as soon as oxygen passes through membranes in the lungs, there's really no free oxygen in the blood. (If there was, you'd probably be dead because you'd have air bubbles in your blood that would rupture the vessels anyway.)

Interesting. Raichu, supposedly the most powerful electric type, bulbapedia entry says that it can easly reach 100,000 volts during an attack.

Actually, there's nothing on that particular entry that implies it could easily reach or go over that number. The special abilities portion states it merely stores that much electricity, and its 'dex entries at the bottom of the page merely state that number but don't mention whether or not it's a minimum. (In fact, it's more implied that it's a maximum.)

Also, in reality, ground and steel types would not be immune, in fact they would fair far worse than water types.

Steel actually isn't immune to Electric-type attacks anyway, but I'm just as surprised as you are that they don't have a weakness to it.

TurtleKing

Turtles > You
Years
  • Seen Dec 12, 2016
Guys...

I have carpel tunnel. Seriously my wrists keep on cracking and popping when I turn them. I've been up since like 11 central time and I just got through like an hour ago with a chapter from my other fic. Ah, the popping sound is annoying...

...yet addictive...

*pops knuckles, wrists, joints all over*

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
Oddly enough, I actually agree with Buoysel here.
D: Why must it be odd that we agree?
1. Exploding Charizard wouldn't happen to be a parody on the concept of an Exploding Charizard, would it? Because if it is, then this is actually a moot point because the point of the term is the fact that an Exploding Charizard shouldn't exist in the first place.

2. The problem with all of this logic is that Fire-type moves aren't restricted to Fire-type Pokémon. Flamethrower itself is teachable to 123 Pokémon via TM and 66 Pokémon via Crystal Move Tutor. Among these Pokémon are Octillery (a Water-type), Koffing (whose gases are known to be flammable according to the anime), and Golem (a rock, meaning the glands logic may not actually fit with its body type). I highly doubt body temperature is a factor here, considering the Pokémon that can learn this move. You may want to rethink your theories in order to take into consideration all Pokémon that use these moves because right now, there's some holes here.

3. Additionally, oxygen-rich blood isn't actually flammable. The thing with chemistry is that while certain chemicals in their pure form can produce explosive results (literally), the same chemicals bonded to others will often prevent the expected chemical reaction. In the case of blood, the oxygen is already bonded to iron in the blood until it undergoes certain reactions when it reaches its intended destination in the body. Technically, as soon as oxygen passes through membranes in the lungs, there's really no free oxygen in the blood. (If there was, you'd probably be dead because you'd have air bubbles in your blood that would rupture the vessels anyway.)
I didn't go to medical school to figure that out. I just did some google and wiki searches. And like I said, it was merely an idea.

Actually, there's nothing on that particular entry that implies it could easily reach or go over that number. The special abilities portion states it merely stores that much electricity, and its 'dex entries at the bottom of the page merely state that number but don't mention whether or not it's a minimum. (In fact, it's more implied that it's a maximum.)
That's true. Further more making it harder for an attack to be successful.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
D: Why must it be odd that we agree?

Because it happens so rarely that one would impulsively need to look out the window for the Four Horsemen, just to check if the world isn't ending yet.

I didn't go to medical school to figure that out. I just did some google and wiki searches.

*nods* I understand, but I'd be wary about wikis (including Wikipedia) when it comes to doing anything remotely academic (even forming your own theories). They're great resources for the basis of your research, but sometimes, you get editors who don't know what they're talking about. It's always good to crack open a textbook or go look at reputable (read: sites where the credentials look reliable) websites. Of course, this is only if you're hardcore enough to want to create theories that coincide with real-world science to a nearly ridiculous degree. That and looking at a variety of sources tend to help one get a full grasp of what's going on -- different ways of explaining the same thing, different levels of detail, that sort of thing.

And if anyone's wondering where I got the "there's no free oxygen in the blood" bit, I paid particular attention to the sick parts of AP Bio. That class taught me more than should be considered healthy.

That's true. Further more making it harder for an attack to be successful.

Agreed.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
Money and chrisma? Hm...I actually just recently thought about the leader of the "evil team" be a very good speaker, espically to the protagonist...

Spoiler:

Oh yeah, also thought of money already and how the leader gets it...

If Bunny were to get to prison, they would be confiscated and be kept by the police until she finishes her sentence. However, if she gets death or life sentence, the Pokemon would be either sent away or given to her friends/realitives.

txteclipse

The Last
Years
Ha! In my fic, the bikes actually minimize!

Holy crap, similarities! I invented a one-wheeled, collapsible motorcycle for trainers to use when I was like twelve. The wheels even collapsed, like a pill bug who's armor plates fold under each other.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Thanks for the input, though I was more interested in those serving longer terms in prison, who likely would not get those Pokemon back barring a prison escape. My mistake, but I probably should've reworded it as follows:
What happens to a trainer's Pokemon if they get sent to prison for 50 or more years, life, or get the death penalty?

As for the "bottomless pit of items," I honestly don't recall how I handled it, but I know that Lisa never had to carry around a bike, cooking supplies, or camping supplies. She never learned how to ride a bike, and Quality Inns and Applebee's saved her hide on numerous occasions.

Nowadays, though, the question of item storage for Lisa is moot... the 1989 Buick Estate Wagon has 89 cubic feet of cargo room with the second and third row seats folded. That's a lotta space XD

DGexe

Taunter
Years
Xanthine said:
Because it happens so rarely that one would impulsively need to look out the window for the Four Horsemen, just to check if the world isn't ending yet.
*looks out her window* Um... what if the Apocalypse is supposed to happen in Lower Tadfield, England, and the four horsemen are riding motorcycles...? I'm in California, so I can't see sh** right now.

By the way, a cookie to whoever understands what I just referenced. *thumbs up*

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen today
Original writing is also welcomed here. You don't have to post just fanfiction.

OW covers everything.

Swift!

The Swiftiest
Years
I don't usually post here, but these two questions grabbed my attention... particularly the first one.

1. If you had to kill your favourite character in a fic, what kind of death would it be?
Hmm...
Kouki would probaby die trying to protect Hikari, he'd end up being killed by either Cyrus, Kira or Dax.

Hikari might commit suicide if either Kouki or Jun were to die, other than that... she'd probably be killed in some accident. Possibly an explosion...

Jun...
That's a tough one, I think I could get away with having him drown or plummet off a cliff. Maybe even freezing to death in a blizzard...

2. If you had to write a Pokémon self-insert into your fic, what Pokémon would you be?
I'd probably be an Absol, or maybe an Aipom...
Really depends on what type of story it was.

Last edited:

Sunnybeam

when the sky is bright
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 9, 2011
It's been way, WAY too long since I've been here. I think the last time I showed my face in the FFL, I was still known as Aqua059...

...but I'm BACK IN BUSINESS and READY TO WRITE! 8D -shot'd-

What is your view on the average Pokemon Trainer's bottomless pit of a bag which can hold infinite items?

I'm actually going to gloss over that in T6W because I really can't explain it. But I'll write a side oneshot parodying it, I have a summary ready on my FFnet profile. "Mystil and the Shoulder Bag of Infinity" be the title, yah.

If the trainer was sent to prison for up to...say...a year, I think their Pokemon would be locked down in storage. Longer than that, it'd be inhumane to keep them stored, they'd go into some kind of government-funded Pokemon relocation program that gives them to foster trainers or something. Life imprisonment would probably end with the Pokemon being released, unless they're deemed dangerous (i.e., so loyal to the Trainer that they might try to break him out, go on a rampage, etc.)

1. If you had to kill your favourite character in a fic, what kind of death would it be?

Hmm...who is my favorite character now? I'm actually getting really attached to Terry from The Sixth Warrior. He's based on the male player character from Ruby Version, lacks confidence, a bit sensitive, has a Pokemon team comprised of rejects and outcasts. He's not fond of capturing wild Pokemon who don't have any interest in being trained, so he goes around and find ones that trainers don't want/can't train/can't keep anymore, with his strongest team member being a Flygon whose original trainer passed away from illness. If he had to die, it'd probably be in defense of one of his Pokemon. Probably Scout the half-blind Linoone, since he's the most likely to need protecting.

2. If you had to write a Pokémon self-insert into your fic, what Pokémon would you be?

A Cherrim, as that is the Pokemon that best fits me, and I plan on doing this sometime in the future. Said fic is entirely about the concept of multiple story-verses and takes a "Stranger Than Fiction"-like direction at a certain point with myself (obviously) as the author, though, so...yeah.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
OW covers everything. <3 Yay. Then I have two ideas. Awwww yeah. Well, one of them is too spicy. BETTER NOT POST! Like that one story...oh dear.

I mainly posted here because I stalk my mom. <3

Mira

restless spirit
Years
There is one thing I would like to discuss and that is ATTENTION GRABBING OPENINGS!!!
It's very important to draw in your reader in the first couple sentences because otherwise.... well, you're one reader short.
Does anyone have an opening sentence or paragraph that they like and would post on here? It would benefit everyone to see a good example.

Here's one of mine that I just wrote. I'm not especially proud of, but...

The sun floated high in the sky as it silently rolled across the blue canopy. Heat drifted down to the people tromping through the city below, submerging them in a humid sweaty mess that threatened to burn every square inch of open skin with each passing moment. Ruby loved it.

The reason I do like it is because it starts out all poetic and beautiful:
The sun floated high in the sky as it silently rolled across the blue canopy.

Then changes and talks about how miserable it is:
Heat drifted down to the people tromping through the city below, submerging them in a humid sweaty mess that threatened to burn every square inch of open skin with each passing moment.

Then changes the rules once again with one three word sentence:
Ruby loved it.

Mira

restless spirit
Years
There's one thing I would like to discuss on here and that is *drum rolls* ATTENTION GRABBING OPENINGS!!!

It is very important to have an attention grabbing opening because if you don't... to put it bluntly, you'll be lacking considerably in readers.
Post any of your openings that you feel is attention-grabbing and hopefully it will help others see what goes into making one.

Here's one of mine. I'm not sure if it is a good one, but it's one of the only ones I have (It's from an original because my fanfiction ones are kind of... bad :P):
The sun floated high in the sky as it silently rolled across the blue canopy. Heat drifted down to the people tromping through the city below, submerging them in a humid sweaty mess that threatened to burn every square inch of open skin with each passing moment. Ruby loved it.

The reason why I think for even a moment that this is a good example is because of the following:

It starts out poetically describing the scene above:
The sun floated high in the sky as it silently rolled across the blue canopy.

But then it transforms into describing the misery below:
Heat drifted down to the people tromping through the city below, submerging them in a humid sweaty mess that threatened to burn every square inch of open skin with each passing moment.

And then it changes the rules once again with this three word sentence:
Ruby loved it.

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
Years
I have a better question:

In you opinion, what makes the first paragraph of a fictional good, or otherwise draw you in?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back