• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Do you plan your fics or just bash at the keyboard? If you do plan, how?

If I am writing for a contest, I'll probably plan, but most of the time I look away, slam my fingers down and see what comes out. I have the general idea, but usually nothing else. Or, I might just free write, which is random writings that are usually no longer than a paragraph or two.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Because nobody's posted in the 7Day-7K thread since I last did, I'll just drop a note in here saying that I've reached 7011 words, as of last count. I made it, and it's only Wednesday!

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • The fanfiction lounge inactive for over 24 hours! This cannot be!

What is your greatest weakness as a writer, whether in fanfiction or in general? (Other than writer's block)
    My greatest weakness is probably my description. I don't know how it turns out, but I always feel awkward when writing it, either that I've written too much or too little. :\ I think I've improved over the years in this front (when I was a small child, naturally, my description was lacking, and then when I learned its power, I would describe in such an excessive and overly verbose manner that it would detract from the rest of the story). I think I'm managing to strike a better balance, though.

Lash

Years
  • What is your greatest weakness as a writer, whether in fanfiction or in general? (Other than writer's block)
    Carelessness. Half of the grammar/punctuation/spelling errors escape my eye, even on the occasion where I proofread. Another weakness is Pokémon battle description. Most of the battles in the chapters I have posted right now are short and not entirely descriptive. So, that's something I'm going to work on, and will get a chance to later on in the chapter I'm writing right now.

Years
  • What is your greatest weakness as a writer, whether in fanfiction or in general? (Other than writer's block)

My descriptions. I totally suck at them. I think that part of that is that in the back of my mind, I don't want to waste time describing something, I just want to get to what's going on. But I can't do that, now can I? >> That, and coming up with character names. Original names- I don't like using overly used common names, because they bore people most of the time(at least that's how I've seen it- and I myself am less likely to read something where every character has a name like Tom, Dick, and Harry)

Also, on a random note, I have a question- I have a Spanish speaking character in a story I'm writing. So of course I'm going to have him talk like he's Spanish. But while typing the word "Senor", I noticed it looked odd, and that there should be a ~ or something like that over the 'n'. So...does anyone know how to do that?

POKEMON_MASTER_0

caffeine 1mg/mL, 240 mL po q4h prn fatigue
    Years
  • Also, on a random note, I have a question- I have a Spanish speaking character in a story I'm writing. So of course I'm going to have him talk like he's Spanish. But while typing the word "Senor", I noticed it looked odd, and that there should be a ~ or something like that over the 'n'. So...does anyone know how to do that?

I've had the same problem while trying to type in Spanish. Although a bit time consuming, you can use the following combinations for accented letters/punctuation:

á ALT+0225
    é ALT+0233
    í ALT+0237
    ó ALT+0243
    ú ALT+0250
    ñ ALT+0241
    ¿ ALT+0191
    ¡ ALT+0161

Hope this helps!

Misheard Whisper

Years
    Writers' block My battle scenes, I would have to say. Pokemon battle scenes, that is. Torn, I found easy because the battle scenes were actually battle scenes, with guns and stuff. But I know they still need work. The focus was really on the psychological side of the story, anyway.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years

Hmm. Probably dialogue and character building. I'm never completely satisfied with how my characters' interactions unfold, and I always second-guess myself. I also go out of character once in a while, which is something I really need to work on.

Oh, and pacing. The Chronicles starts out really slow, and has more really slow parts interspersed throughout the rest of it.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    What is your greatest weakness as a writer, whether in fanfiction or in general? (Other than writer's block)
    I have a lot of flaws and weaknesses. For one, my vocabulary is very mundane despite the fact of my knowledge of lots of words. Hmm... I guess that you could say my greatest weakness is not using my full potential/being able to pull up bits of knowledge at the right time.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years

Probably a combination of my inability to spot my own mistakes and my tendency to think the events of my writing are absolutely clear. For example, in AEM, I mention that Cozmo is dead, but then I mention that Veronica might be looking for him. What I meant was that Veronica might be looking for him because she doesn't know whether or not another character is aware he's dead. It connected up in my mind because I didn't realize I wasn't giving enough information to help it connect up in the readers'.

So, in other words, just an inability, regardless of how much time I spend, to see my own work from a reader's standpoint.

And, yeah, pacing. My beginnings are always slow as crap.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    I don't always clarify or grab the proper imagery right through my description, something I definitely need to work on. Because if the reader's confused, who can enjoy it? So yeah, it's just the... transfer of what I got specifically in my head to the paper/keyboard so they know what's going on that's critical.

Years
  • Spoiler:

If people could give me their opinions on this scene from an upcoming chapter, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm on a slow computer, so I will only be answering the questions that are on the current page for me.

Do you establish a dialogue with your reviewers?
    Yes I do, only because to me, it feels like the proper thing to do. (And apologies to Bay for not responding to her review.) The reviewers took the time to read the fic/chapter and to leave a review saying what they (dis)liked about it, offering advice, and even asking questions. In return, I can respond to whatever they said about the chapter, starting off with a thank you for their time.

When creating your main character, what part of that character (might) resemble you the most? (looks, personality, life experience etc)
    To answer the question in a round-about way, I'll say that all the characters that I write share a quality with me.

To actually answer the question, one of my main characters is similar to me in nearly every way; another shares my introverted quiet side; and the other pretty much just shares my annoyance at his husband. Haha.

Do you plan your fics or just bash at the keyboard? If you do plan, how?
    I start with the scene I can imagine in my head, sit down with my notebook in hand (I always have one with me), and write. From there, I figure out if there can be more added to the scene, and either write the appropriate back story or the rest of the story.

For example, I imagined (actually dreamed) a scene of one of my Pokemon fics, wrote it down, and figured that I could use it as a climax of a multi-chapter fic. From there, I started writing the story that takes place before that, with my only goal in mind as getting the current story there.

Plotting anything further than the first chapter. I'm also picking up the habit of not describing anything, even the characters. (I blame the fact I now write more fanfiction for a canon that has no description in it because the author is not a visual thinker, and managed to pick up the author's writing inadvertently.)

-

As for Kanto Lover:

Spoiler:

Swift!

The Swiftiest
    Years

Sometimes I forget to describe things properly and then, when I go back to fix it, I have to re-word nearly eveything. It's quite annoying. :[

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Time for a new post-maintenance topic. :D

How much inspiration for your story do you get from your day-to-day lives?
    While my plot is distant and dystopian, and therefore receives no inspiration from my day-to-day life, my characters are often inspired by people I meet (including myself). I like to include bits and pieces of people I meet in my characters, usually from two or three people, and then adapt the new character to the story's setting. I'll often get something very interesting from that.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • How much inspiration for your story do you get from your day-to-day lives?

Everything seems to be inspired from my daily experiences, somehow. My mind appears to create material from apparently unrelated and completely mundane things. I don't understand it at all. I wrote the majority of my earlier chapters of the Chronicles after coming home from work, for instance. Maybe I was so bored that my brain started occupying itself with story writing.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Not much, actually. I use my writing to actually escape from the outside world, and so there's nothing related to what I experience in my stories.

The one exception, however, is I tend to find that my one true pairing periodically reflects a friendship I have.

Misheard Whisper

Years
  • How much inspiration for your story do you get from your day-to-day lives?
    I like doing this. I recall once, driving along on the way to a friend's place, we passed a big, dusty moor with very few plants on it. Of course, it was on the side of the road, behind a wire fence, and had half a dozen car skeletons in it, but it was still wonderful setting inspiration.

Then occasionally, somebody (myself included) will say something, and I'll make a mental note of it in order to slot it into a story somewhere. I often go for walks as well, to see people and places, hear noises, smell the flowers, and let my mind be free!

/poetry

Bay

Years
    Grammar. I always have tense errors and awkward sentences riddled in my stories, even after I check the chapter four times already. However, I'm improving that little by little.

All the time. XD I get inspiration from movies, games, real life, news of the games, the anime, etc. Just today I got inspiration for doing a 40's-esque party scene while watching this one black and white film on TV. XD

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back