• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
Years
  • When did you start writing Fiction? (Not to be confused with when you got serious with writing or when you had to do essays for your English class)
    Casual fiction, for as long as I can remember. Some of it is absolutely appalling. XDD;

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • When did you start writing Fiction? (Not to be confused with when you got serious with writing or when you had to do essays for your English class)

I love writing essays for English, they're my favourate part of English. People pay me a euro write one page essays for them.

My first real 'fic' was a calibration with me and my best friend involving a girl who travels to a world ruled by cats and horse who must fight the war against the 'evil dogs' called 'The Coming of the Dogs'.

Surprisingly, I did avert the whole 'cats are evil' trope in at at least.

Sometimes I try to rewrite it but I can never get it right.

EDIT: I was eight.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    When did you start writing Fiction? (Not to be confused with when you got serious with writing or when you had to do essays for your English class)
    I think I was either two or three. I very faintly remember stealing pens and paper to sit at my living room coffee table, "writing" really long stories that no one could understand. This was way back before I picked up speech or actual writing.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • What do your fic titles mean? (Spoiler tags may be used for the cautious. Vague hints work too.)

The Eon Chronicles are a collection of books written over thousands of years that contain all known knowledge about the Eon Dragons (Latias and Latios). They also hold the key to controlling the Latis because of this.

The R-9WM "Mastermind" is a spacefighter in the R-9W branch of human combat vessels. It is the direct technological descendant of the R-9WF "Sweet Memories," which had a brainwave-powered weapon so psychically taxing that its use literally shredded the pilot's mind. The R-9WM was made to be even more powerful than its predecessor: however, it is piloted by a Mewtwo who has nearly unlimited psychic stamina, and is therefore not troubled by the ship's monstrous need for mental energy.

When did you start writing Fiction? (Not to be confused with when you got serious with writing or when you had to do essays for your English class)

I started seriously writing fanfiction during the summer of '07, so I've only started recently. I did come up with a plot for a pokémon movie when I was like eleven, though...it involved the GS ball being the only device capable of catching Ho-oh and Lugia. I distinctly remember coming up with a commercial for said movie in which Ho-oh crushes a pokéball with its claws. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Have you accidentally taken the plot of your fic the wrong way or another way than you originally expected, but kept it like that, because of either reviews, or your liking to it?
    All the time. I never have a plot in mind when I begin writing; it usually appears around Chapter 4-6, so I just go with it. And I get ideas from reviewers (and even what hypothetical reviewers might say). Elina of the Cult of Avos, for example, is a personification of the reviewers (who I haven't got any of the kind yet) who go 'Kids shouldn't be allowed out on a Pokemon Journey blah blah blah'. (Some people are just insufferable. It's been mentioned in reviews, but not complained about.) Anyway, from there, I've got a whole plotline unfolding, just from that one character. Give her the ability to disappear when you blink, and she's a damn neat character, too.

Hmm . . . *strokes beard* Ah, fcuk, the beard again! Anyway, I've been trying to write a novel since I was about six. Each attempt, I give up a short way in, which has unfortunately carried over into my fanfiction, but each time I get a little further. My current not-quite-but-almost-given-up-on novel attempt is at around 12,000 words, but Shattered is already at 17,000+, last I checked. *starts Chapter 7*

Lash

Years

I've had a couple attempts before, but they ended horribly since I wasn't an experienced writer. I gave it up for awhile, until recently.
    I decided to get serious with writing again after HeartGold and SoulSilver were announced, and after I got many good comments on my writing skills in English class, I decided to try my hand at writing once more.

And, that is what lead to my Johto fic.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023

Well oddities at a Matrix site and a Harry Potter site, but nothing like "OMG" seriously cool... If anything they were merely parodiesor RPs.

Okay now we have too many bolded questions.

Instead, let us talk about ellipses!

These are ellipses: ...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Dear kids at home,

Ellipses are not suitable replacements for periods.

Love,
    Jax
    In fiction, I use an ellipsis only in dialogue when a character starts drifting. In non-fiction, I generally use ellipsis when I want to begin talking about something at least partially related to what I was just talking about before, but it's not entirely different enough to warrant a new paragraph.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • In fiction, I use an ellipsis only in dialogue when a character starts drifting. In non-fiction, I generally use ellipsis when I want to begin talking about something at least partially related to what I was just talking about before, but it's not entirely different enough to warrant a new paragraph.

In fiction, yeah, that's pretty much how you want to be using an ellipsis: either when a character is actually trailing off in speech/thought or when the narrator does it. And even then, you've got to know the difference between when a character/the narrator is trailing off and when they aren't.

In nonfiction (or essays and papers, at least), you really should only use it when you're showing an omission in a quote (because that's its actual purpose).

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    In nonfiction (or essays and papers, at least), you really should only use it when you're showing an omission in a quote (because that's its actual purpose).

I love ellipsis for that reason... that and square brackets (to substitute a tense or pov). Needless to say, I make the quote work for me, not the other way around, and teachers lap it up.

I just love when I see fics have something like:

Greg was so happy, he finally caught a pikachu............................ Then they were happy becaus dey got to eat with each other!!!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    In fiction, yeah, that's pretty much how you want to be using an ellipsis: either when a character is actually trailing off in speech/thought or when the narrator does it. And even then, you've got to know the difference between when a character/the narrator is trailing off and when they aren't.

I wasn't talking about essays or papers. I was talking about casual conversations. (Though I can understand your confusion; I consider my casual conversations writing and label them fiction or non-fiction accordingly)

Bay

Years
    I actually started writing fiction seriously when I was in my sophomore year of high school. I had written two historical stories taking place during the medieval times, but those didn't go so well. XD; After taking a break from writing, I got started writing Pokemon fanfiction close to the middle of my senior year of high school and was able to finish my first fanfiction story (it's only eight chapters though XD).

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I love ellipses. They're useful for when you want a characters speech to trail off... like so.

And to answer my own question only after every one else has... (see did it again...lulz)
    I do remember creating dramatic world war sequences with my play things when I was 3. Then, when I was 7, I started to write. I vaguely remember something about writing a story about the war between Earth and the Jupiter People(Jovians) that looked like spiders and lived on floating platforms on Jupiter. Then Earth was helped by vague cat creatures from Uranus that had a long living feud with mice creatures from Pluto. I never finished the story. Afterwards, I started writing disturbing, somewhat violent Fiction for my Language classes. I was called disturbed at one point in my life. Lol. Then I really started writing when I was 13.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years

I'm not exactly sure, I just remember always playing out stories with my legos and sometimes "writing" them down.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    A funny thing happened involving ellipses, actually. I was helping construct a set of clues for some scavenger hunt, and a parent had typed it all. Needless to say, I found lots of grammar mistakes and funny responses from the woman who typed it. One of my favorites:

ME: [points at a clue which says, 'If the canoe fits.........'] Uh... why are there ellipses here?
    TYPER: Well, we're making a pun on the store which name ends with the dot-dot-dot things...
    ME: Well, yeah, but... why are there nine?
    TYPER: [stunned silence for a few seconds, then looks genuinely confused] Well, why not?
    Needless to say, I found yet another oddity of the world you only see when you're a writer: when a twelve-year-old cares about grammar and a thirty-five-year-old doesn't.

Hoo boy. Honestly, I can't remember when or where I started, past writing a short story about a pink dragon who liked breaking walls and then magically repairing them with a pebble on the floor, written in what I thought was cursive... xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    A funny thing happened involving ellipses, actually. I was helping construct a set of clues for some scavenger hunt, and a parent had typed it all. Needless to say, I found lots of grammar mistakes and funny responses from the woman who typed it. One of my favorites:

Needless to say, I found yet another oddity of the world you only see when you're a writer: when a twelve-year-old cares about grammar and a thirty-five-year-old doesn't.

Hoo boy. Honestly, I can't remember when or where I started, past writing a short story about a pink dragon who liked breaking walls and then magically repairing them with a pebble on the floor, written in what I thought was cursive... xD
    I just recalled something. When I first learned of abbreviating words and names, I would sign my name "Steven A.............." each and every time I wrote it, up until I was about 14.

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • I remember doing something similar, but with quotation marks. I had a whole bunch of people speaking at the same time, so I gave each of them a set of punctuation marks, like

""""""""""""""""""""I'm a complete idiot!"""""""""""""""""""" yelled the twenty people standing in front of her.

Lol, I was such a n00blet. Then again, I was five.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back